Hobbyboss Super Tocano 1/48 scale

Just about to start on the Hobbyboss Super Tocano. Based on the recent Spit XIV theme, it's another 5 bladed prop aircraft

spacer.png

I'm going to give the cabin a lift with upgrade ejection seats, and IPs. Plus exhaust cowlings and wheels.

This project is 100% inspired because of seeing the build of @Dads203.  Up to that point, I never even knew of the plane's existence. 

It just looks so right to me as a design, so I feel compelled to dive in.

I'm going to try and recreate something based on the Afghanistan versions below

spacer.png

(Source Military Aviation Review)

Thanks for looking

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to seeing this build come to life (especially with the extras!). I've been considering getting this kit for a while (if I ever get through some of my stash) as I quite like how brutish but sleek it looks. How are you thinking of making those side panels underneath the cockpit out of interest, from looking at sprue shots I don't think that's included on the kit?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MBM said:

Looking forward to seeing this build come to life (especially with the extras!). I've been considering getting this kit for a while (if I ever get through some of my stash) as I quite like how brutish but sleek it looks. How are you thinking of making those side panels underneath the cockpit out of interest, from looking at sprue shots I don't think that's included on the kit?

Cheers,

Mark

Those side panels don't come with the kit, which is pretty basic.

I'm assuming the panels are some sort of kevlar-type armour to protect the cabin area in the counter-insurgency role.

I hadn't thought about making them. But now you've asked, I'm thinking I should try to mock something up. They definitely add to the aggressive look.

spacer.png

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 4

Good idea WP !!

Sure you can reproduce these, easy peasy...

Making a template in paper or cardboard and on we are....

Then, it is too late my friend, you know that you want to do it.....

Ha !! this modelling virus !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And we're off!

spacer.png

AM ejection seats are for the Meng F18 Hornet. Not 100% accurate but at least still MB mk10's.

Working out how to do justice to the amazing details (or which ones to represent) and looking at sources for inspiration on colours etc. 

spacer.png

As Dads203 noted, the elevators need trimming to give room for the rudder to function. Using references, below is my effort to represent the actual aircraft

spacer.png

MBM and Corsaircorp tipped me into replicating the kevlar - I think - armour plating on the side of the late model version 🤓

So far, many template attempts to represent this shape.

Simple for some maybe. I don't mind admitting it's taking me ages to get to a point I can accept and proceed

spacer.png

Here's were I'm asking for your help and/or advice. I'm using 1mm plastic card which I presume scales up to between 40-50mm thick kevlar.

In the photo below the panel has to make a tight curve on the top edge where it glues to the cockpit side. When I glue the panel, I need to ensure it sticks evenly, right up to the panel/airframe edge all round.

To avoid a gap at the edge, how should I proceed with attaching the panel:

1. glue the top edge first and wait for it to set, before proceeding further?

2. also, what type of glue should I use (mindful of not ruining the side of the model if my first attempt isn't satisfactory)

3. any other methods or materials entirely?

spacer.png

Thankyou in advance for any suggestions.

• Like 4

Hi WP

If you have scales up ghe photo, it may be worth tracing the shapes of each plate and transferring to your plasticard,  that way you would have the correct shape.

It may be worth forming the panel so it confirms to the fuselage side profile better, you can do thos by using something like a marker pen and either do it by hand just rubbing along the bit back and forth , ooooer missus!!!😄 or tape it to the form you are using and place into very hot or boiling water and then cold water after.  Once you have something akin to a good shape I would use TET (Tamiya Extra Thin) cement as it will run around and underneath the plate.

Hope that helps

Chtis

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It may be worth forming the panel so it confirms to the fuselage side profile better, you can do thos by using something like a marker pen and either do it by hand just rubbing along the bit back and forth , ooooer missus!!!😄 or tape it to the form you are using and place into very hot or boiling water and then cold water after.  Once you have something akin to a good shape I would use TET (Tamiya Extra Thin) cement as it will run around and underneath the plate.

Hope that helps

Chtis

This sounds like a plan with a good chance of success! Thank you.

Now I'm quite glad I didn't just dive in, as my original plan would definitely have left a gap (in hindsight) 🤓

• Like 1

Paint testing

6 gray pots just delivered. Quick handbrush and results are narrowed down to either dark compass grey XA1135 or light compass grey XA1136 for the Tocano airframe:

There was also an intermediate grey (not in the photo) that is closer to PRU blue 😶 so that is not going to be for the Tocano build.

I might even test using an airbrushed light compass grey over dark compass grey to see if I get a paneling effect.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'll come back to attaching the scratch built kevlar panels, after the fuselage sides are brought together.

In the meantime, on with the cockpit.

I'm using Quinta Studio AM cockpit upgrade. And what a spectacular upgrade I think this is.

Cockpit tub extinction event

The AM side wall panels do extend below where the tub and fuselage want to join.

Ideally, they would fit in the exact space, and no trimming would be needed, but this seems normal with AM parts in general.

I'm using glue & glaze because I assume some will squeeze out (it did) in places that show.

spacer.png

My solution is to butcher the cockpit tub in places I deem appropriate in order to close the fuselage halves together.

The awful mess I've created will be covered by the final AM panels that lay over the surviving part of the kit tub sides.

spacer.png

I'll leave the above items to set over 24 hours before I try a dry-fit test and do bring the fuselage halves together.

With the sides taped, I'll see how the final IP parts fit over the remains of the cockpit tub and if they require trimming in any way.

Thats all for today, thanks for looking in

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 4

I glued the port side of the cockpit tub into the fuselage.

After letting that set, I added the remaining port side AM IP panels. 

I've now decided I'll only add the starboard side IP panels after joining the fuselage, to ensure they can't interfere with the join-up.

I'd rather avoid cutting them if I can. That plan has worked a treat so far on the port side

spacer.png

Having decent AM IPs available transformed my interest, and probably is the single biggest reason tipping me over the edge to do this kit.

Having such a large canopy, there's a fair chance plenty of cockpit detail will remain visible.

Next time I'll post the joined-up sides and full cockpit and seats in place.

In the meantime, I'm checking references for the external details.

With an all-grey external colour scheme, it means latches, compartments and other surface aspects can get to feature more prominently.

The kit is basic in some respects, yet does manage to capture much of this surface detail.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, luis pacheco said:

Nice project.

There are some conversions for the afghan version:

https://www.avm-scalemodels.com/producto/a-29-super-tucano-l-a-s-conversion-resin-kit-1-48/

Wow, I never saw this before, thanks Luis. The upgrade kit has the FLIR and the correct kevlar side panels too. I'll give this an extra think🤔

On 9/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, heloman1 said:

Nice start, definitely got o add the armour plating, it's going to add to the overall effect. I'll pull up a seat and follow your build.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I agree the armour plating is becoming a must for this version.

However, my paper templates and resulting plastic recreations aren't hitting the mark.

I'm up to 8 or 9 attempts now, and none of the resulting panels are in any way convincing.

This modelling lark is harder than it looks 😶

Talking of which, I'm looking into the AVM AM kit recommended by @luis pacheco.

I've attempted to make contact with the AVM guy directly to establish if he'll ship to the UK from Chile, and what his lead time would be.

Progress: I've added just over 40g of ballast, joined the fuselage halves and finished adding the cockpit panels.

spacer.png

I'll wait for an answer from AVM regarding the AM panel set. This kit also features the under-nose kevlar I previously hadn't noticed, and FLIR (I think) pod.

I'm also considering splashing out on the Eduard PE set for this kit. The monotone grey finish would be lifted by the considerable external detailing provided in the Eduard set. 

However, I've taken this as far as my current skills allow for now and I'm going to put this build on hold, pending finding a satisfactory solution for the kevlar panels.

That's all for now, thanks for looking in.

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 3

Regarding your paper mask for the armour panels. Have you thought of using masking tape instead of paper to arrive at a pattern. Laid directly into the model, it should give you a more accurate design.

Or try copying the instruction drawings side view and then scale it to fit the model.

Just my thoughts.

Colin

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Regarding your paper mask for the armour panels. Have you thought of using masking tape instead of paper to arrive at a pattern. Laid directly into the model, it should give you a more accurate design.

Or try copying the instruction drawings side view and then scale it to fit the model.

Just my thoughts.

Colin

Actually, I hadn't thought of either of those tricks, Colin.

I've nothing to lose by trying them out have I? Thankyou 🙂

Highly interesting topic!

I'm actualy in the process of reading Harpia's monography on the 312, and I'll certainly go on to the 314.

And you know what?

I'd get myself the same kit!

I'm not really into aftermarket, just don't like it, just mask and maybe bang seats will be fine to me.

Be sure I'll follow this!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Antoine said:

I'd get myself the same kit!

I'm not really into aftermarket, just don't like it, just mask and maybe bang seats will be fine to me.

I do like AM, but in my very limited experience every time using complicates the build process somewhat - or a lot - for me.

So I do get 100% why you don't like AM parts!