1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G & E released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

The slatted F-4E kits came with the TISEO. The Republic of Korea boxing included a resin LORAN doghouse antenna seen on F-4Es with the ARN-101 mod.

Ben

I have the Revell F-4F rebox of the Hasegawa kit, and the Hasegawa F-4G. Have to dig them out and check the sprues.

Looking at the list, they should have sprue M

9 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

IIRC, the Hasegawa Tiseo is undersized quite a bit.

I remember reading that, too. I’ve never bothered to confirm it but it does look like it might be a little too small in diameter.

Ben

13 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I remember reading that, too. I’ve never bothered to confirm it but it does look like it might be a little too small in diameter.

Ben

Looking at what the shape is, its probably not hard to make one from a missile body and with plastic card fins.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Looking at what the shape is, its probably not hard to make one from a missile body and with plastic card fins.

As a one-off, yes, but if you want two you'll never replicate it precisely.

Manufactured parts, including any errors, standardise things. 

Not 100% sure about that strap: it didn't have the "cut out" as best I remember. Whoops! Looks like they examined something with missing parts, or a late revised version.

What I would most like from Meng is a one-piece canopy, all four clear parts moulded in one clamshell piece, as an option

I'm so interested in these kits but with the fiftieth anniversary of the 1973 Yom Kippur war looming, I've been looking at 1/32 MiGs and Tamiya's F-4E in the stash, which beckon.

Tony

• 10 months later...

From a modeling perspective, it should be relatively easy, since most of the differences were internal. Just remove the extensions on the stabilators that make up the slots or adapt some unslotted stabs from Hypersonic to fit. The cockpit is the basic F-4E pit, even though they provide the doghouse spine antenna for the later ARN-101 system. There may be a few more mods necessary to build an ICE F-4F, but I’m not very familiar with that variant.

Ben