1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G & E released

Homebee

It's probably a little thing to most of you, but I really like that the clear parts are attached to the sprue at front and rear rather than at the side of the pieces like Hasegawa did it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Homebee said:

Surface treatment. :hmmm:

Some work for Hypersonic Jeffrey !

316169424-2559236517551528-31735948505892e91bd419d73a6ae2ce5514c6662d964.jpg

V.P.

A gentle rub down with some fine emery paper, et voila.

The more I see, the more I like about this kit. Yes, an all-joined-up one-piece closed canopy option, a pair of peashooters Shrikes, an ALQ-184, reinforcing wing strap and bracing bars between fuselage and splitter/vari-ramp might have been perfect, but we can't everything all of the time.

The wing is based on later F-4E/F production with the thicker lower torque box wing skin with its noticeable lip or step at the rear, so this is a natural for re-release as an E/F. If Meng do that, I hope they provide an open rotary cannon breech cover as they were always left dangling on armed aircraft, trailing a safety pin and RBF streamer. 

Unfortunately this means sourcing the wing strap if it's not included as etch  as all F-4Gs had them, having come from slat retrofitted hardwing stock.

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
and the Fanny
  • Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E/G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G released - F-4E in 2023

Scheduled for January 2023

Next boxing - ref. LS-017 - McDD F-4E Phantom II 

Sources: 

http://www.meng-model.com/contents/5/1617.html

https://weibo.com/2805898290/MgG2I8t84?pagetype=profilefeed

https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404839748643717239

a73e9c32ly4h8hiibvkztj215o0qitbi.jpg

4a68f380339ce3c0.jpg

59e3b9e09afaf4c2.jpg

a73e9c32ly4h8hiicm2ylj215o0rsq57.jpg
a73e9c32ly4h8hiidkr1rj215o0rs421.jpg

e2f000b759545c6c.jpg
9370ad97d4463525.jpg
5319a30186ca4e5a.jpg
1d81fa2f25e4a816.jpg
784c4e2a26f55299.jpg
88d513b53cdca50b.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E/G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G released - F-4E in January 2023

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid02iV4aM3ZGx5V8E8QtPqh9JvX4VQCDBQRx8m4fJfpozYp5BCFbsUoAoKXWh1HGHeJKl&id=100028842416849

The Flying Phantom

The F-4 was originally designed as a carrier-based supersonic fighter in 1956. It entered military service in 1961. With the experience gained from actual combats, the F-4E Phantom II was modified and fitted with an M61 Vulcan cannon under the nose. Some key improvements were made to the wings by adding leading edge slats and flaps. This not only improved its air combat performance, but also strengthened its ground attack capability. As a typical representative of the second-generation fighter jets, the F-4E dominated the sky of that era from the jungles of Vietnam to the deserts of the Middle East. It became the icon of NATO air power during the Cold War.

This latest MENG LS-017 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II plastic model kit is a product officially licensed by The Boeing Company. The assembled model will be 399mm long and 245mm wide. This kit includes a metal pitot tube, pre-cut stainless steel PE parts and painting masks, and three paint schemes. Now, let’s check the details.

LS-017 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II

Scale: 1/48

Available in: January 2023

During its service for more than half a century, the F-4E Phantom II has achieved a remarkable record as the first modern multirole fighter. Don’t you want to own a model of this famous Phantom II?

V.P.

2 hours ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

Hope they release it in 1/72 in the future. 😇

Why ? Go Finemolds !

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071125-172-mcdd-rf-4cdjeej-phantom-ii-by-finemolds-rf-4cdeej-j-released-new-f-4j-us-navy-f-4c-usaf-boxings-in-january-2023/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

And I will, as soon as the -G pops up, which hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 1

The more I see the less I actually like about it I must say. I pre-ordered the G model as soon as it was available, based on the early CAD images shown. The kit is currently winging its way to me from Hong Kong. I'll give it a proper hands-on investigation of course.

But so far, with more info trickeling in, the only plus points I see are the one-piece upper fuselage, (potentially!) a better shaped cockpit/canopy area than ZM, inner canopy insert pieces and retracted slats.

Everything else is looks rather meh, and that lower tail piece is a real shocker. We shall see...

J

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Everything else is looks rather meh, and that lower tail piece is a real shocker. We shall see...

But does it have the right number of petals on the burner cans? ;)*

*I wish I hadn't read that thread - it's one of those things you now no longer can unsee. 

F-4G instructions here

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/6/8/1440968-46-instructions.pdf

No strengthening strap on the lower surface but there is always

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FLV48008?result-token=UyrH8 

I notice that the kit has both the ALQ-119 and ALQ-131 pods included.  During Desert Storm, the US based 561st TFS carried the long ALQ-184 pod

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/f-4.html 

which is not included although it is in the Tamiya 1/48 F-16 kits as well as the new Kinetic F-16AM &C and some of the first-generation Kinetic F-16 kits. In aftermarket it's been produced by Wolfpack Design and is also in Hasegawa Weapons set E. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, Stephen said:

F-4G instructions here

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/6/8/1440968-46-instructions.pdf

No strengthening strap on the lower surface but there is always

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FLV48008?result-token=UyrH8 

I notice that the kit has both the ALQ-119 and ALQ-131 pods included.  During Desert Storm, the US based 561st TFS carried the long ALQ-184 pod

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/f-4.html 

which is not included although it is in the Tamiya 1/48 F-16 kits as well as the new Kinetic F-16AM &C and some of the first-generation Kinetic F-16 kits. In aftermarket it's been produced by Wolfpack Design and is also in Hasegawa Weapons set E. 

The 561st used the Raytheon ALQ-184 on SWATCH ops too, as per the markings option for WA/232. 

The doubler 'arrowhead' or 'fish' plates were located on the upper stabilators only ca.1975-1984, thereafter on upper and lower (although occasionally after this tech order rework, some had none or on the underside only) — these need to be added (or not) over the engraved outlines on the kit as they were quite prominent. Would be useful to have these added to a steel strap set for the wing, one with correctly shaped parts and not Dr Quack's "say aarr" lollipop stick shaped ends. 

The upper half of the F-4G rear IP was all black, not 1960s style black instruments on a grey background as depicted in the instructions. Only the pilot/AC's IP was like that.

http://amurreaver.ru/?p=1615   make antennae which look quite nice, but not sure what the situation is.

This is all nit-picking for what looks to be a fundamentally great kit and fun build. 

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

The F-4E looks great too but is a slight mis-match: if it's an Arnie DMAS bird, as depicted with the LORAN receiver device on the spine, it should also have TISEO on the left inner wing leading edge. If it's a slat retrofit, it too needs an F-4G-style steel belly strap and the LORAN box and relocated UHF deleted. I'm hoping Meng will add an Israeli AAR probe — or Sir Jeffrey obliges us, as we could use the TISEO and an open rotary cannon door and exposed breech. 

Tony  

Edited by tony.t
does have RR170 chaff as well as MJU7 flare dispensers.

On 27/11/2022 at 11:21, tony.t said:

The F-4E looks great too but is a slight mis-match: if it's an Arnie DMAS bird, as depicted with the LORAN receiver device on the spine, it should also have TISEO on the left inner wing leading edge. If it's a slat retrofit, it too needs an F-4G-style steel belly strap and the LORAN box and relocated UHF deleted. I'm hoping Meng will add an Israeli AAR probe — or Sir Jeffrey obliges us, as we could use the TISEO and an open rotary cannon door and exposed breech. 

Tony  

All DMAS birds were jets which came with Slats off the production line. Hence, they featured the internally re-enforced wingbox which made the belly strap obsolete. What you refer as LORAN antenna is the SST-181X beacon antenna which was indeed present on ARNI jets. But, MENG missed to put it into the right place. It should be moved more forward next to the forward edge of the upper IFF antenna.

B/r

Michael

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:21 AM, tony.t said:

The 561st used the Raytheon ALQ-184 on SWATCH ops too, as per the markings option for WA/232. 

The doubler 'arrowhead' or 'fish' plates were located on the upper stabilators only ca.1975-1984, thereafter on upper and lower (although occasionally after this tech order rework, some had none or on the underside only) — these need to be added (or not) over the engraved outlines on the kit as they were quite prominent. Would be useful to have these added to a steel strap set for the wing, one with correctly shaped parts and not Dr Quack's "say aarr" lollipop stick shaped ends. 

The upper half of the F-4G rear IP was all black, not 1960s style black instruments on a grey background as depicted in the instructions. Only the pilot/AC's IP was like that.

http://amurreaver.ru/?p=1615   make antennae which look quite nice, but not sure what the situation is.

This is all nit-picking for what looks to be a fundamentally great kit and fun build. 

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

Tony  

3 hours ago, Scout712 said:

All DMAS birds were jets which came with Slats off the production line. Hence, they featured the internally re-enforced wingbox which made the belly strap obsolete. What you refer as LORAN antenna is the SST-181X beacon antenna which was indeed present on ARNI jets. But, MENG missed to put it into the right place. It should be moved more forward next to the forward edge of the upper IFF antenna.

B/r

Michael

Would anyone like to clarify what DMAS stands for? 

4 hours ago, Scout712 said:

B/r

Michael

Not quite right. The "internally reinforced wingbox" was mostly conspicuous by its thicker lower torque box skin with a notceable step at the rear. 

The SST-181X Combat Skyspot antenna was located just aft of the rear canopy.

The geometric shape further back on the spine centreline, between the TACAN and UHF, was the LORAN C/D receiver component of the Lear-Siegler AN/ARN-101 Digital Modular Avionics System. 

Voilà

Tony 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G released - F-4E in January 2023
On 11/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, JeffreyK said:

The more I see the less I actually like about it I must say. I pre-ordered the G model as soon as it was available, based on the early CAD images shown. The kit is currently winging its way to me from Hong Kong. I'll give it a proper hands-on investigation of course.

But so far, with more info trickeling in, the only plus points I see are the one-piece upper fuselage, (potentially!) a better shaped cockpit/canopy area than ZM, inner canopy insert pieces and retracted slats.

J

I was feeling the same, my kit arrived 2 days ago from China, I was surprised it arrived so fast, I’m quite pleased with the contents.

One thing I do like is it has fewer parts than the ZM kit. Sure the ZM kit has more finesse, I can live with the Meng kit.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in two minds about this kit, having now seen the sprue shots. I have one each of the Z-M and Meng F-4G on pre-order and will probably go ahead and still buy the latter although I am a bit concerned about the apparent simplicity of some of the parts - the exhaust section and Flare/Chaff dispensers seem to be the worst parts. The wing drop tanks shape on the sprues also look 'out' but on the finished kit they look fine, which is a bit odd. It looks like they have tried to simplify construction with all those tongues and pins, which is no bad thing but I still think, overall, the Z-M kit will turn out better. Only time and receipt of the two kits, with a direct comparison, will tell.       

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G & E released