1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G & E released

Homebee

4 hours ago, Lusitanian said:

How can we know this without having the kit in our hands?

Best wishes

Well, I read it here on BM. The ZM canopy is wrong.

On a more positive note, is there any rumour of any aftermarket decals in the offing? With two kits coming out at the same time, I hoped we might see some extensive sets released with full stencilling and serial options. Speedhunter and AirDocs sets are long long oop.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:07 AM, Filler said:

On a more positive note, is there any rumour of any aftermarket decals in the offing? With two kits coming out at the same time, I hoped we might see some extensive sets released with full stencilling and serial options. Speedhunter and AirDocs sets are long long oop.

Reid Air Publications have one reissue and a new decal sheet both for the 1/48 F-4G kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reid Air Publications is to reprint the F-4G "Combat Weasels" decals sheet ref.48020

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid032DUUCkUJnfBokTXDXfT4NdmuRW29ssEWzH6JAwJ3Q4uhMJmpd8WwR4yVV8uzK5mel&id=100064040172052

I wonder how many emails i've gotten over the past few months asking about a reprint of 48020 Combat Weasels??

Well, I listened. Look for this very shortly!! This is one of my favorite sheets and proved to be the quickest seller ever.

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/decals/combat-weasels-f-4g-in-combat

312664430-490503946427607-37210826088664

312490158-490503929760942-83457776395818

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 10/16/2022 at 8:07 AM, Filler said:

Well given that the size of the error is so small that it took over 50 years of research to even find the minute characteristic difference no manufacturer has ever tooled and even looking closely at Tamiyas it may not be perfect. No other F-4 kit has ever reproduced this tiny shape difference id say saying the canopy is wrong is drawing a bow so long as to be ridiculous.

On similar sized errors we could say with equal vigour the “Tamiya canopy is wrong” as well as its far over scale in thickness.

Similar sized errors so if we are slagging kits for being wrong for errors so small lets get to it.

Ridiculous comments like “The ZM canopy is wrong” have no scope, provide no relativity and should be treated as a throw away line to be discarded to the dustbin of history.

Oh i can guarantee the Meng burner cans will be “wrong” to because its impossible to mould burners to scale thickness in 48th, canopy to thick therefor shape is wriong, airfoil shape is not the correct NACA MD version, gear doors are to thick.

There is wrong and there is wrong.

Good luck finding any kit ever made if your tolerances of wrong are so small because you will be sorely disappointed by every plastic kit ever released period.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, Filler said:

I see in an email from Jadlam that the Meng kit is five quid less than ZM’s. So given the superior accuracy of the Meng kit, I guess there’ll be a lot of ZM kits left on the shelves.

But what is Meng kit availability usually like? Will they sell out in a week never to be seen again or do they remain available for a while? 

so has anyone seen the Meng plastic yet??

Yes, so far only Tamiya has got the forward fuselage width more or less correct (and it is the fuselage width around the cockpit centre that’s the main issue - the canopy is just a follow-on symptom). But how accurate is Meng ? The CAD looked quite good but I wouldn’t draw final conclusions before investigating the plastic (or examine lots more CAD renders).

On 10/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, Filler said:

I see in an email from Jadlam that the Meng kit is five quid less than ZM’s. So given the superior accuracy of the Meng kit, I guess there’ll be a lot of ZM kits left on the shelves.

But what is Meng kit availability usually like? Will they sell out in a week never to be seen again or do they remain available for a while? 

so has anyone seen the Meng plastic yet??

Yes, so far only Tamiya has got the forward fuselage width more or less correct (and it is the fuselage width around the cockpit centre that’s the main issue - the canopy is just a follow-on symptom). But how accurate is Meng ? The CAD looked quite good but I wouldn’t draw final conclusions before investigating the plastic (or examine lots more CAD renders).

• Like 1

@DarrenH and @JeffreyK. You're having a go at the wrong person. I am not so concerned about super accuracy and was really looking forward to the ZM kit. It was other posters that brought up the canopy issue (I'd never have had the foggiest - even if my life depended upon it) but unfortunately the nature of these observations on the internet can have a deflating effect. They certainly took the wind out of my sails. I'm sure the 'error' is almost imperceivable to 99.99999% of modelers, but we are made to be very aware of it. To be honest, I was just irritated that my chips had been urinated on.

Really, within reason, I'm ok as long as it looks a lot like the subject and isn't unbuildable. I personally couldn't care less if someone stuck a sidewinder on a Lancaster bomber.

• Like 1

Mine's on pre-order with the Lowestoft plastic outlet and no cash has yet changed hands. I normally model in 1/32 but make exceptions for favourites — and this kit certainly holds out very considerable promise.

Looking forward also to seeing the plastic and markings options.

In the extremely unlikely event that the Meng doesn't thrill I'll go for a 1/32 Tamiya hardwing E and add GT Resin parts for a slatted Advanced Wild Weasel. 

Tony 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - box art+3D renders+schemes - release November 2022

Schemes

Sources: http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/59/542.html

The Wild Weasel’s Camouflage Schemes

There are three different paint schemes of different units in the MENG LS-015 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel model kit.

The paint scheme A is for the aircraft piloted by LTC Mark Turberville and electronic warfare officer LTC Jim Uken from the 561st Fighter Squadron of the 57th Wing of the USAF stationed at the Dhahran Air Base of Saudi Arabia in January 1996. This aircraft took part in the Gulf War in 1991 and played an important role in the Operation Desert Shield and the Operation Desert Storm. A cartoon Wild Weasel image was painted on the port boundary layer splitter plate. As a professional electronic warfare aircraft, the F-4G could penetrate into the target area in a highly defended environment, accurately detect and classify radiation sources, and then effectively suppress and destroy Iraqi ground radars and air defense weapons. As a result, the Iraqi radar operators were afraid to turn on radars for fear of being attacked.

313409575-813173902987349-52851583372090

The paint scheme B is for the aircraft piloted by COL R Peksens Weasel I from the 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron of the USAF stationed at the Incirlik Air Base of Turkey in March 1991. This aircraft took part in the Operation Desert Shield and the Operation Desert Storm between 1990 and 1991. It was used to suppress and destroy the Iraqi ground radars and air defense weapon systems.
313933252-813174206320652-28632561099961
The paint scheme C is for the aircraft piloted by LTC Cotner and electronic warfare officer CAPT Legget from the 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 52nd Tactical Fighter Wing of the USAF stationed at the Spangdahlem Air Base of Germany in July 1987. This scheme features the famous USAF European One camouflage. As a tactical camouflage for the European theater, a tri-color camouflage which suited the European landscape was used to replace the Southeast Asian camouflage that had been used for many years. It’s also the main camouflage of the USAF Tactical Air Command (TAC).

313890870-813174489653957-59870525571958

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I met EWO and later squadron commander Jim Uken, and am going for option A. Thanks for posting Homebee.

The pilots didn't much like the single piece windshield as the bigger bow frame slightly obstructed the view of the tanker, boom and lights during AAR. 

Tony 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - released

I don't see a molded on belly strap?

Does anyone else see it?

I already bought one for $68, and if it's not there, or elsewhere in the box, then I'm sure the aftermarket correction industry will address it.

Hope to see an up close look at the plastic soon! :nerdy:

1.conventional windshield-glue-on like all other kits except Tamiya with their integral fuselage-clear-part solution.

2.no molded on stabs between fuselage and splitter plates (maybe they are somewhere else).

3.looks as if canopy plan section is too sleek (looks a bit like ZM).

@Raymond Chung: A clear go to do another longnose Fanny, the market is wide enough.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ABeck said:

1.conventional windshield-glue-on like all other kits except Tamiya with their integral fuselage-clear-part solution.

Which is interesting since Meng has done fuselage sections with the windshield in other kits, I guess they decided it wasn't worth doing here.

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

2.no molded on stabs between fuselage and splitter plates (maybe they are somewhere else).

3.looks as if canopy plan section is too sleek (looks a bit like ZM).

@Raymond Chung: A clear go to do another longnose Fanny, the market is wide enough.

It looks to me as if they've taken the mid-section canopy bowing-out all the way to the windshield, instead of tapering it. But it's not a good enough photo for any meaningful critique. The bracing bars between fuselage and splitter/vari-ramp might be moulded on the inside of the latter. 

I really don't want an F-4G so badly that I need to spend £200 and kit-bash the Z-M, Hasegawa and Meng into one model, so I'm looking forward to seeing the trees of plastic on parade.

Will I be alive to see the Phantom Phanatics/Sprue Bros 1/32 F-4G Weasel? Probably not, so this kit is the last chance saloon.

Tony

• Like 1