1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4E & G Phantom II by Meng Model - F-4G & E released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - To be confirmed! - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - box art - release in 2022

OK.......this is going to be interesting given the recently released Zoukei-Mura kit of the same variant. Is this the start of a new series of long-nosed F-4s to compete with Z-M ?. Couldn't have been a F-105G !

Quite stunning news. A kit I've wanted for ages with an accurate exterior profile (and, hopefully, also full intake ducting). The Z-M's canopy profile rules out that avenue.

Assuming this is real, I wonder what the price will be? 

Tony 

5 hours ago, tony.t said:

Quite stunning news. A kit I've wanted for ages with an accurate exterior profile (and, hopefully, also full intake ducting). The Z-M's canopy profile rules out that avenue.

Tony 

Tony,

There's no such thing as a perfect kit. To think otherwise and you'll miss out on some beautiful projects... IMHO.

ZMs kits undergo some ridiculous levels of scrutiny by the rivet-counters. There's a huge thread over on Hyper-Scale about all the 'faults' of the Z-M kits.

Early on I bought off on the 'horrible' misshapen rear fuselage contours of the short-nose kits. I hadn't noticed it until i read an article but of course now couldn't NOT notice the 'fault'. I obtained the resin correction kit and found that it was the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. It was definitely not worth all the extra man-hours to 'correct' and otherwise magnificent replica of the F-4C.

I'm looking forward to building the Weasel, its my favorite F-4. If Meng brings one out, I'll build that too 😉

Kind regards,

Mike

Edited by Ridley
Formatting
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ridley said:

Tony,

There's no such thing as a perfect kit. To think otherwise and you'll miss out on some beautiful projects... IMHO.

ZMs kits undergo some ridiculous levels of scrutiny by the rivet-counters. There's a huge thread over on Hyper-Scale about all the 'faults' of the Z-M kits.

Early on I bought off on the 'horrible' misshapen rear fuselage contours of the short-nose kits. I hadn't noticed it until i read an article but of course now couldn't NOT notice the 'fault'. I obtained the resin correction kit and found that it was the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. It was definitely not worth all the extra man-hours to 'correct' and otherwise magnificent replica of the F-4C.

I'm looking forward to building the Weasel, its my favorite F-4. If Meng brings one out, I'll build that too 😉

Kind regards,

Mike

I think most of the time the 'issues' with a particular kit are sort of noticed by many but they are unable to pin down what's wrong. Then along comes somebody who points out the issue and offers photos etc as proof. Then everybody can see the problem and decide what to do. Seems like you are very similar.

When KH released their Twogar I was a very happy bunny but nagging issues meant I got one to see. IMHO the canopy is too narrow at the front and lacks the slight bulge on the sides. This pinches the windscreen and the nose shape. I posted my thoughts and others chimed in with other observations. Accepting the fault is far easier than living with one you didn't notice. But this isn't about that kit.

I really hope Meng get this right and, TBH their track record is pretty decent. The team seem capable and careful and their product is way ahead of other ranges made in the same building. I have high hopes and believe that an RF-4C would follow an F-105 nicely 😜

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I think most of the time the 'issues' with a particular kit are sort of noticed by many but they are unable to pin down what's wrong. Then along comes somebody who points out the issue and offers photos etc as proof. Then everybody can see the problem and decide what to do. Seems like you are very similar.

When KH released their Twogar I was a very happy bunny but nagging issues meant I got one to see. IMHO the canopy is too narrow at the front and lacks the slight bulge on the sides. This pinches the windscreen and the nose shape. I posted my thoughts and others chimed in with other observations. Accepting the fault is far easier than living with one you didn't notice. But this isn't about that kit.

I really hope Meng get this right and, TBH their track record is pretty decent. The team seem capable and careful and their product is way ahead of other ranges made in the same building. I have high hopes and believe that an RF-4C would follow an F-105 nicely 😜

I agree completely. Either the defect is acceptable or it is not and totally subjective. I also have high hopes for Meng's efforts and I think we will be generously rewarded. And we are definitely due a decent F-105G... and D!

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - box art - release in 2022

Interesting to read what it says on the mock box top: separate rudder, LE slats and TE flaps up or down, turned metal nose pitot etc. 

Doesn't mention the inlets or if the "ALQ-119" is just that or the Southern Watch era (updated-to) ALQ-184 version, but ALQ-131, AIM-7Ms plus (Maverick, Standard ARM and) HARMs included. All of that is very encouraging, offering the possibility to model the earlier years at George, Spang., Clark Field and Sheikh Isa, as well as the box-top Nellis and SWatch scheme.

Regarding shape, subjects like the F-4 and F-111, which I love, need to be absolutely spot-on. The box art, at least, with that reflective swirl down the canopy, strongly hints that Meng understands that complex geometry. Thus far, the Meng kit is definitely looking to be one of the most interesting 1/48 jet kits to emerge since the recent Airfix Buccaneer. With regards the Z-M kit, there's a bright side: two Wild Weasel F-4G kits coming out close together should encourage some great AM decal sheets. 

Tony 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, tony.t said:

Tony 

The Zoukei-Mura canopy is in fact not entirely correct, but I do not find it terrible.  The only discernible problem with the canopy is the missing 'bulge' at the rear cockpit area.  This is something also missed by all other F-4 Phantom model kits in history.  Only Tamiya 1/48 F-4B has captured this shape correctly.  However, with the canopy posed in the open position, it is really not noticeable on the Z-M kit.  

Has there been confirmation that this 'new' Meng kit is genuine?  There is no information about it on their Facebook page, nor on their company web site.  It seems a long way from 1st April.

Best wishes!

4 hours ago, Anton K55 said:

About boxart

Has anyone noticed that this is Koike Shigeo art?

Does this mean it's borrowed from a Hasegawa kit artwork as a joke?

I'd be disappointed but it got us fooled for a bit!

Tony

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anton K55 said:

About boxart

Has anyone noticed that this is Koike Shigeo art?

I don't see a signature but it's certainly Koike's style. According to his website though he has stopped painting, it doesn't say when he stopped though.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - box art+3D renders - release in 2022

From the MENG Facebook page:

Radar Killer in the Storm

The F-4G Wild Weasel was a U.S. Air Force’s dedicated Suppression of Enemy Air Defense (SEAD) aircraft converted from the F-4E. This aircraft first flew in 1975 and entered service with the U.S. Air Force in 1978. The F-4G could suppress enemy air defense systems, and jam and attack enemy air defense radars. It also had outstanding maneuverability and could perform a variety of tasks by changing the weapon stores. During the Gulf War in 1991, F-4G was the only available U.S. Air Force SEAD aircraft.

This latest MENG LS-015 1/48 McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel plastic model kit is a product officially licensed by The Boeing Company. The assembled model will be 399mm long and 245mm wide. This kit includes a metal pitot tube, pre-cut stainless steel PE parts and painting masks, and three paint schemes. It also includes one AN/ALQ-119 ECM pod, one AN/ALQ-131 ECM pod, and weapons like AIM-7M Sparrow air-to-air missiles and AGM-88 HARM high-speed anti-radiation missiles. Leading edge flaps and main flaps can be installed in retracted or deployed positions. Horizontal stabilizers are movable. The cockpit and its interior equipment are precisely replicated. Now, let’s check the details.

LS-015 McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel

Scale: 1/48

Available in October 2022

As an Electronic Warfare Aircraft, the F-4G Wild Weasel successfully completed its tasks of suppressing the enemy's air defense systems in various operations. Don’t you want own a model of this famous radar killer?

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" by Meng Model - box art+3D renders - release October 2022
2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

It'll be interesting to see if they offer the early Vietnam style camouflage as part of the camouflage and markings package.

I bet they won't but Speedhunter Graphics have a decal sheet planned with every camouflage scheme on it from early S.E.A through to Hill Gray II.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:45 AM, Lusitanian said:

The Zoukei-Mura canopy is in fact not entirely correct, but I do not find it terrible.  The only discernible problem with the canopy is the missing 'bulge' at the rear cockpit area.  This is something also missed by all other F-4 Phantom model kits in history.  Only Tamiya 1/48 F-4B has captured this shape correctly.  However, with the canopy posed in the open position, it is really not noticeable on the Z-M kit.  

Has there been confirmation that this 'new' Meng kit is genuine?  There is no information about it on their Facebook page, nor on their company web site.  It seems a long way from 1st April.

Best wishes!

The main thing is not so much the canopy, it's the fuselage. It bulges out slightly, roughly in between the two cockpits. Therefore Tamiya's cockpit tub, the instrument consoles in particular, are noticeably wider than other kits. The canopy simply follows the width.

If displayed open, the shape is disrupted enough that you don't really notice the problem. It's more apparent with the canopies closed.

The angles of these renders aren't really conclusive whether or not Meng have got it right. We will see...

J

• Like 1

This is a very interesting development!  It appears to be a very nice reproduction of the complex shape of the Phantom, though the G ‘Wild Weasel’ version is my personal least favourite of all.  I hope Meng will see fit to release other versions in due course.  

I do note that the F-4G appears to be missing the heavy reinforcement ‘strap’ that was a feature of all real F-4G.  Perhaps this is just a feature of the CAD renderings and will appear on the plastic parts.

• Like 1