1 hour ago, Col. said:

I did have a read of some reviews covering the HobbyBoss kit and decided against it. The intake was mentioned and I see there's a resin correction set available for it but think the same review noted the wings are smaller than they should be?

I have found the correction sets for the nose ( by a company called Cat-4 in Ukraine ) but have yet to press the "buy" button, I wasn't aware there was an issue with the wings, I shall have to dig my kit out and compare them.

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

Was a bit surprised when I saw an A-7E kit (1/48 Hase) pop up at the LHS.  Surprisingly it hung around for a while (couple months or so) before it found a home.

It's new home wouldn't happen to be with you would it Chris? 😉

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It's new home wouldn't happen to be with you would it Chris? 😉

I left it sitting for a while hoping someone else would snag it.  I'm usually not too keen on paying full MSRP on kits due to the number spilling out of the closet...but I hadn't purchased much of anything from the shop in a few months.  So I bit the bullet mostly to throw the LHS a bone, since I do like to spend my money local if I can.  It's not often he gets in stuff that piques my interest.  Gundams are the main focus for plastic for them of late.  They seem to move them, and it keeps the lights on...so can't complain there.  This one is earmarked for a HAF bird.  I still need to sort out the decals...but I'll cross that bridge later.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-09854-a-7e-corsair-ii-vf-147-argonauts--101204

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, helios16v said:

This one is earmarked for a HAF bird

A fine choice Chris and when you do get around to building it I highly recommend the book that I am using for reference as it has superb pictures of Greek A-7's and for decals Icarus has the best sheet for Greek A-7's.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

I have been slowly plodding away at this and have got the cockpit pretty much done and ready for installation into one of the fuselage halves. I haven't added anything to the kit other than some seat belts on the ejector seat, I looked at the resin seat I had and thought it was pants so went with the kit one which builds up quite nicely and is a good representation of the real thing and doesn't look too bad with some paint on it;

spacer.png

The instrument panel has been painted too;

spacer.png

And the cockpit tub;

spacer.png

The exhaust for the engine has been painted and added to one of the fuselage halves, after remembering to paint the interior of the rear fuselage in Zinc chromate yellow as it will be visible once the fuselage halves have been joined together, no pictures of that so you will just have to take my word for it.

Next task will be building up and painting the nose gear bay and fitting it to the bottom of the intake, then I can think of getting the fuselage closed up.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 11

Everything that needs to be done before the fuselage halves can be joined together has now been done and fitted to one half, this is how it looks with everything in place;

spacer.png

A closer look at how the forward part of the fuselage looks which is where most parts are including the cockpit, intake and nose gear bay;

spacer.png

This is all a pretty good fit and looks quite good from the outside;

spacer.png

Talking of the outside of the airframe I have made a start on painting the avionics bays on both sides of the fuselage and the main gear bays have been painted and a wash added;

spacer.png

Still a fair bit of work to do there.

Having reached this stage though I am now able to get the fuselage halves closed up which will be today's task.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

🇺🇦

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of progress, nothing to do with the kit all to do with me. However progress has been made and she is definitely becoming more and more SLUF like and some paint has even been applied.

The fuselage halves closed up quite nicely, there was some filler needed in a couple of places but nothing drastic. One of the very strange things about this kit is that Hasegawa give you the option of having the airbrake under the fuselage deployed or closed, now you will never see a picture of the airbrake deployed on the ground because it can't be due it extending further than the ground clearance so unless you're displaying your model in flight and in a diving position it is completely pointless and considering the rest of the model is designed to be displayed on the ground is a very strange option indeed and I found the parts needed a bit of work to get them fitted neatly. I have also now fitted the front canopy section which is a pretty good fit, it will need a little bit of fairing in but again nothing drastic.

So enough of my waffling on here are some pics of how she looks now;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see from the pictures some white paint has been applied to the undersides and also to the tail and wing where the international orange will be applied later as it forms a good base for it. I am actually thinking of painting the fuselage and wings before joining them and then touching up any areas that need filling (from what I have seen there shouldn't be much needed), hopefully I will get the international orange sorted next and can then mask off in preparation for the ADC Grey.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9

Looking very nice, I am hoping to get mine to primer stage this weekend. 

I know what you mean about the air brake.  Completely illogical that they would give the option for the open air brake. I got mine to fit ok but yes there was a lot of work to get it to all fit together nicely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

Looking very nice, I am hoping to get mine to primer stage this weekend. 

I know what you mean about the air brake.  Completely illogical that they would give the option for the open air brake. I got mine to fit ok but yes there was a lot of work to get it to all fit together nicely.

Thanks Arthur, its not very often that Hasegawa make things more difficult for us unnecessarily but they really did by including the airbrake.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours with the primer on.

🇺🇦

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few battles with the airbrush and another complete loss of interest in modelling for a few days I am pleased to say that the main painting is now done and that she is even looking a bit more like a Corsair. For some reason the ADC Grey would not go on smoothly and it took me a few coats, with gentle sanding in between, to achieve a finish I am happy with, I also mixed some International Orange and got that on the wings, tail and tailplanes and have done the walkway on the tailplanes and the trapezoid markings on the upper wings and she looks like this;

spacer.png

The wing is fitted in place, not a perfect fit at all as you can see in this closer picture of the front joint;

spacer.png

A bit of sanding needed here. The rear joint needs some work too;

spacer.png

The underside however is a good fit and some PPP should sort out the small gap without any issues;

spacer.png

Here's one of the tailplanes;

spacer.png

So a bit of filling, sanding and repainting lie ahead but after that she should be pretty much ready for some decals.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9