I have been fascinated by lifting bodies ever since I saw an article in an early 70s edition of Airfix Magazine.  If memory serves, it was written by Alan W Hall.  He scratchbuilt the Northrop HL-10 and M2F2 from balsa wood! 

I'm going to have a go at the same vehicles, but not from balsa.  I will be using the Anigrand kits.   And I'm going to chuck in the Mach kit of the Martin-Marietta X-24 for good measure.  :D

spacer.png

Incidentally, the title of this thread is a reference to The Six Million Dollar Man.  In the title sequence, Steve Austin is shown launching from a B-52 in the HL-10 which miraculously changes into the M2-F2 before it crashes!

• Like 22

Oooh, a Mach Poo kit, you're a brave man boss.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Incidentally, the title of this thread is a reference to The Six Million Dollar Man.  In the title sequence, Steve Austin is shown launching from a B-52 in the HL-10 which miraculously changes into the M2-F2 before it crashes!

To be fair that's by far not the worst continuity break in the history of cinemaphotography :lol:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey used to love watching the Six Million dollar man.  My Nan bought me an action man style six million dollar man figure, which could lift the orange rubber I beam , had roll back skin on his arm and you could look through one of his eyes and see round corners!!!  My cousin got an Action man helicopter,  gutted!!!

These will be interesting. 

Chris 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey used to love watching the Six Million dollar man.  My Nan bought me an action man style six million dollar man figure, which could lift the orange rubber I beam , had roll back skin on his arm and you could look through one of his eyes and see round corners!!!  My cousin got an Action man helicopter,  gutted!!!

These will be interesting. 

Chris 

I had that too! Bringin' back memories here!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's about time that I started work on these.  

One thing that I didn't realise is that The Mach2 X-24 kit only has one set of resin and one canopy.  The resin isn't too much of a problem as there are some dreadful plastic moulded bits for the cockpit which can be used.   The single canopy is an issue however.   It may be possible to use a canopy from a Tempest so I'll just crack on and see how things pan out.

X-24A

The first step was to fit the undercarriage bays.

spacer.png

And then use the resin part for the cockpit.   I used a Yahu pre-painted PE instrument intended for an Me 262.

spacer.png

The fuselage has been closed up.  The control surfaces fit where they touch...   The leading and trailing edges are like planks!

spacer.png

• Like 10

X-24B

The same process applies to the X-24B

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The X-24B was actually the rebuilt X-24A. 

The National Museum of the United States Air Force has an X-24A replica displayed next to the X-24B.   The replica is a slightly rebuilt SV-5J.   The SV-5J was a jet powered version which was intended for training.   However none of the Martin Marietta test pilots were willing to fly it, even when offered a $20,000 bonus!  The SV-5J was never flown.

• Like 8

HL-10

There are no seperate parts for the gear bays on the resin kits.  The instrument panels and consoles are a nicely cast component.

spacer.png

The centre fin is simply intended to be a butt fit to the fuselage.  That never ends well, so I have frilled a hole to accomodate a pin.

spacer.png

M2F2

Again, a similar process to the HL-10.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Thinking of lifting bodies in the media I remember a film called "Marooned" of "Moroned" as Mad Magazine parodied it involving something called the "X-RV" which seems to have been loosely based on the X-20 Dyna Soar.

Pete

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Thinking of lifting bodies in the media I remember a film called "Marooned" of "Moroned" as Mad Magazine parodied it involving something called the "X-RV" which seems to have been loosely based on the X-20 Dyna Soar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marooned_(1969_film)

It seems that the story was written by Martin Caidin, who by coincidence wrote The Six Million Dollar Man.

• Like 2

You're off to a good start with these boss. Although if your previous record is anything to go off your next update should be the finished articles :D 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Don't forget to reshape the fins on the HL 10  as they are not even remotely accurate ... :(

It's not just the fins.  The fuselage on the real thing has a graceful curve down to the centreline.  The kit has a rectangular profile for the fuselage.   That would take major surgery to rectify so I'm not even going to try.   :fraidnot: 

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It's not just the fins.  The fuselage on the real thing has a graceful curve down to the centreline.  The kit has a rectangular profile for the fuselage.   That would take major surgery to rectify so I'm not even going to try.   :fraidnot: 

Yes it's staggering how wrong the shapes are /yet it still looks like an HL 10.  On my kit I've done massive amounts of sanding to restore the curved feel . (The resin is thick enough)  fixing the fin shape is worth doing to improve the look ....don't get me started on  the anigrand xb 51 tho ...it's worse 😛

• Like 1

Fins fitted and faired in.  In every case they needed a lot of Milliput.   Now comes the monumental job of cleaning them up.  The X-24s have some very nasty sink holes on the fin sides.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

1as with the Mirages that I am building elsewhere, there comes a time when I need to stop messing around and just get on with the build.

All models primed.

spacer.png

And sprayed with aluminium from a rattle can, except obviously for the X-24B which was sprayed white.  From a rattle can. :)

spacer.png

The natural metal schemes were then masked.

spacer.png

And we have these, shown in excruciatingly cruel close-up...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12