1/72 Fujimi A-7B Corsair II

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum, and I'm not sure I'm quite up to snuff yet to wow any of you seasoned old dogs, but here goes.  I started this model in July 2022 and just finished.  I like to write about the process in some depth, but understand this is not the place for that.  If anyone is interested in reading more about how this model came together (probably only of interest to beginner types like me), please check out my blog: https://meatchicken.wordpress.com/

Thanks for looking and for any comments/suggestions! Cheers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 55

Super well done! You have done the Fujimi kit proud!

I believe it is an excellent kit. Funny enough in 2000 I built the old Hasegawa A-7B with markings for the same VA-87 squadron, albeit with an older representation of the Indian head. VA-87 has always been one of my favorite USN units.

Congratulations for an outstanding build.

JR

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice Corsair, never mind the rest of us. You go ahead and post whatever you want. What we think isn't important as long as you are happy with what you have done thats what is important. 

I fully agree. Welcome and congratulations on your lovely A-7 build.

Miguel

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, bapowell said:

I like to write about the process in some depth, but understand this is not the place for that. 

Nope - but we'd love to hear about it on the Work In Progress pages!  Start a new topic on https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

A lovely job on one of my favourites!

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Fujimi's kit looks like a nice model, this on looks good. I need to get one but don't know which kit yet.

Thanks!  I mention in my blog post that the Italeri kit (from which the decals came) is nice except for the lack of an actual nose inlet.  That bothered me.  Also, this post is a nice comparison of the different kits: https://www.blindbatnews.com/2014/06/kit-bashing-172-scale-comparison-a-7-corsair-2-fujimi-esci-matchbox-hobby-boss-mystery-of-annoying-parting-lines-on-canopies-solved/31480

The Fujimi kit is nice, though the armament selection is a little meh.  I had the Italeri kit lying around and so I borrowed the Mavericks.  

Edited by bapowell
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Exceptionally well built and weathered.  Expert application of decals.  However, may I humbly ask what gray paint you used?  It seems dark for light gull gray.

Hey, thanks! Indeed, this is not light gull gray.  I was working with Tamiya paints and had read somewhere that Medium Gray (XF-20) was the Tamiya equivalent.  It totally isn't, as you can see, and I was quite unhappy with the color when I first applied (initially it had too warm of a hue).  I went back on forth about whether to repaint and said "hell with it, it'll be fine!"  After all is said and done, I agree it isn't quite right, but after the varnishing and weathering it has settled to a more acceptable tone IMHO.  If anything, this experience has encouraged me to move out of my Tamiya comfort zone and embrace the wealth of other paints out there.  

Edited by bapowell

1 hour ago, bapowell said:

Hey, thanks! Indeed, this is not light gull gray.  I was working with Tamiya paints and had read somewhere that Medium Gray (XF-20) was the Tamiya equivalent.  It totally isn't, as you can see, and I was quite unhappy with the color when I first applied (initially it had too warm of a hue).  I went back on forth about whether to repaint and said "hell with it, it'll be fine!"  After all is said and done, I agree it isn't quite right, but after the varnishing and weathering it has settled to a more acceptable tone IMHO.  If anything, this experience has encouraged me to move out of my Tamiya comfort zone and embrace the wealth of other paints out there.  

I totally get it.  I like Xtracolor Light Gull Gray/Grey if you're looking for a good match.  I loved Model Master Light Gull Gray by Testors but that brand is now Tango Uniform.  

If you insist on Tamiya and are not adverse to mixing, I found this on ARC:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304729-gull-gray-paint-match/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bapowell said:

Thanks!  I mention in my blog post that the Italeri kit (from which the decals came) is nice except for the lack of an actual nose inlet.  That bothered me.  Also, this post is a nice comparison of the different kits: https://www.blindbatnews.com/2014/06/kit-bashing-172-scale-comparison-a-7-corsair-2-fujimi-esci-matchbox-hobby-boss-mystery-of-annoying-parting-lines-on-canopies-solved/31480

The Fujimi kit is nice, though the armament selection is a little meh.  I had the Italeri kit lying around and so I borrowed the Mavericks.  

They didn't mention the Monogram kit in the reviews, wonder how it is? Monograms are usually quite decent aside from raised panel lines. I want to make the single seat and two seat prototypes so weapons wouldn't be needed anyway.

In 1/72 the Hobby Boss has a too wide canopy, a misshapen air intake and horrible, elongated, deformed fuel tanks (same as their 1/48 Corsair IIs).  If you overlook the canopy and air intake and replace the fuel tanks you can do a TA-7C and A-7K.  In order of my preference, in 1/72 it goes:

1.  Fujimi

2.  ESCI/Italeri

3.  A-7K/TA-7C Hobby Boss (because only they make the Wagon Train Family Truckster version)

Excellent work. I've collected a couple of Es and a D from which I intend to produce a model or two in the future, this kit still being the most accurate shape-wise to start from. One issue I've noted on all of the kits I have is the imperfections in the canopy molding (which seems to affect all the kits). Did you get lucky or did you polish any imperfections out of it (which is what I expect to have to tackle)?
thanks 

Jon