Fw 190D-9 wing upper surface colours

Vlad

At least some were; 74/75/76 seems to have persisted a particularly long time on Fieseler-built machines, as evidenced in the well-known photo just above. 75 combined with a dark green seems more common from other manufacturers on early D-9's though.

Note how the engine cowl - delivered from Junkers pre-finished in dark green - has been dappled in grays to help blend it in. The earliest Fieseler Doras appear to have had the cowl entirely overpainted in matching grays, but on later ones the dappling seems to have gradually disappeared....here's my 1/72 interpretation of one of those...

6-A77-C515-E863-4169-9-E93-F2-AF7-EA278-

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 7

That is very nice!

It's good to know about those Fieseler built ones, but if anything I'd want to avoid a standard 74/75/76 scheme on a Dora, the late war mix and match paintwork is what makes them look so interesting.

Alas, my short attention span resulted in me going to the big yellow H website to get an IBG 190D, but got a P-51B instead 😅 so I'll be saving notes from this thread for future revisiting, and hope my hypothetical future Dora turns out as nice as yours.

Edited by Vlad
  • Thanks 1