Jaguar E type - Airfix 1/43 by fnick

Fnick

Hi everyone 

Welcome to my build log of the new Airifix release the 1/43 Jaguar E type!

For those that didn't see them here are some pics of the box art and the sprues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see a very nice little kit. I'm going to go for the exact colour scheme as the one I am using the the 1/24 version I am building. I'll try and keep both builds running in parallel. Unfortunately there is no engine so I won't have the masochistic pleasure of drilling out a 1/43 distributor!🤪😂

Progress so far. I used the remaining paint in my tamiya primer can and got the body colour on. Everything else will be brush painted from now on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The metallic flakes are not that visible under normal light. 

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 11

Thanks!

Probably the colour on my pics is a bit off but it definitely is green! 

No obvious fitment issues that I can see. In the last pic the chassis, interior and body shell are all on without any problems. Only thing that could go wrong is th dashboard but I would be surprised. It is a very good little kit.

Nick 

• Like 2

Evening all.

Plodding along. I decided to glue the interior to the chassis now rather than later.

spacer.png

Also added a bit of weathering to the engine and exhaust.

spacer.png

And since I didn't have a distributor I decided to drill out the holes in the steering wheel, 🤪.

Here it is next to its 1/24 cousin who is also going to undergo the same surgery.

spacer.png

I couldn't see where to drill that well so I added a panel line black wash to help me see the holes better.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Evening all.

Plodding along. I decided to glue the interior to the chassis now rather than later.

Here it is next to its 1/24 cousin who is also going to undergo the same surgery.

spacer.png

I couldn't see where to drill that well so I added a panel line black wash to help me see the holes better.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Well done ! keep up he good work, Nick 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

More progress. Dashboard finished and so is the interior. I had to mix this tan colour as I couldn't find a ready made one. Quite pleased with how it has come out. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is to do all the chrome work on the body.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 13

Easy to forget the scale when looking at that dash.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this kit but it seems hard to come by outside the UK.

Do you think it would be more trouble than it is worth to glue the body halves together before painting in order to get rid of the seam under the door that isn't there on the real car? Might be difficult to mask off the interior etc. I am thinking about trying it when I get the kit but I am not sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Easy to forget the scale when looking at that dash.

Yep they've done a very good job with detailing considering the scale.

14 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Do you think it would be more trouble than it is worth to glue the body halves together before painting in order to get rid of the seam under the door that isn't there on the real car?

So this is with the two halves together

spacer.png

Yes the seam is prominent. You could do what you suggested but for me given the fact it looks like it could be on the real car and for me this is just a fun little build I'll leave it as is!

Cheers, Nick 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Yep they've done a very good job with detailing considering the scale.

So this is with the two halves together

spacer.png

Yes the seam is prominent. You could do what you suggested but for me given the fact it looks like it could be on the real car and for me this is just a fun little build I'll leave it as is!

Cheers, Nick 

It is not as noticeable as I thought. I guess it also depends on the color you choose. I have a white 1/25 model where it is very noticeable.

• Like 1

Looks a nice little kit to build.     Pity there is no RHD dashboard as it is a Kerbside kit.I

Trying to make out how the wire wheels are detailed as not obvious from kit parts photo.

An after market opportunity for photo etched parts perhaps?

Edited by Noel Smith

Hi Noel

Here's a pic of the wheels

spacer.png

And in situ

spacer.png

So not bad at all IMHO. They look a bit dark but that is because I completely forgot to clean up the black wash I put in so Ill need to go over the raised areas with chrome paint again!

Cheers, Nick 

• Like 8

Try rubbing over the top of the wheels with a cotton bud dipped in isoproanyl alcohol. Usually the wash comes off easier than the paint underneath which will mean you have nice shiny high points. :) Although this won't be a good idea if you did the wheels in the chrome paint as that is readily soluble in IPA too.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Spiny said:

Try rubbing over the top of the wheels with a cotton bud dipped in isoproanyl alcohol. Usually the wash comes off easier than the paint underneath which will mean you have nice shiny high points. :) Although this won't be a good idea if you did the wheels in the chrome paint as that is readily soluble in IPA too.

@Spiny ,  I'm  sorry I didn't share earlier the thought that crossed my mind when I read that you were going to remove the excess wash with IPA, because, yes, I knew that most chrome paints are not alcohol resistant 🙄

Hi Spiny. yes I did paint the wheels with chrome paint (greenworldstuff one). I did try to remove the wash with enamel thinner (the wash I used was tamiya accent panel line) but that just dulled the chrome paint.

Nick

Hopefully that didn't do any damage to the paint - my brain was spinning a bit in neutral a bit last night when I wrote that I think :doh:

EDIT: Just seen @CrazyCrank's 'confused' reaction so I guess thatdidn't translate - basically I was saying I was being a bit stupid last night.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

Hopefully that didn't do any damage to the paint

It just dulled down the chrome but since I need to touch up all the wheels it's no problem. And don't worry Spiny I had already done that before you suggested IPA!

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

so I guess thatdidn't translate

Not very well in Google translate no it doesn't!😂

Interior now done!

spacer.png

Steering wheel is a bit battered due to hole drilling plus I also managed to loose it and it got a bit bashed on the kitchen floor!

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 9

Superb kits from Airfix, I've built many of these different ones but 30+ years ago!

• Like 1

Evening all

Thank you all for the comments and reactions. Much appreciated as always.

Lots of work for not much visible progress. All masked up ready for gloss black then chrome!

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Calling this one done!

spacer.png

RFI post to follow. Main issue with finishing up was that the side and rear windows which where molded as one piece just refused to go in properly so I had to separate them and glue them in individually...

I also decided to keep the kit wheels on. I was very tempted by the motobitz ones but this was always intended to be a quick fun little build and it was.

Overall great kit. Goes together really well and there is enough detail in there to keep the more experienced modeller happy. 

Thanks to all who followed,liked and commented. 

Back to the 1:24 scale version now!

Nick

• Like 6