AMT / ERTL Valkyrie - Go Large or Go Home 😲

This will easily be the biggest vacform I've ever attempted, and it's daunting if I'm honest. 

Picture of the real one below, I'll post pictures of the kit later with something to scale it against 

Edit

Thanks to the diligence of a fellow BM member @Shorty84aka Markus, I discovered the BV238 needs significant alterations to end up anything like the original aircraft so an alternative was required. 

I've chosen to build the 1/72 Valkyrie instead,  I hope you like it.

Cheers Pat

• Like 22

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'll post pictures of the kit later with something to scale it against 

A pyramid of Elephants or a Brontosaurus perhaps?

I know a bloke who does scaffolding. I'll give him a ring for you...

• Haha 5

Hi Pat,

It's that nasty fall when you landed on your head! I knew there would be some sequels.

But this is serious! 

I advise you to cut a pine tree to use as a spar. No other way, I'm afraid..

Good luck, and do not forget your pills.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So as promised here's the kit parts with a tin of humbrol paint for scale.

20220917_213132~2

20220917_213139~2

20220917_213201

As you can see it's a biggie, and no props, interior etc  so it's off to the scrap / spares pile for inspiration :idea: 

Cheers Pat

• Like 19

Yikes! That's some acreage of plastic you have there Pat. Thankfully cutting out and cleaning up all the parts is preparation work and doesn't count as a start to the project if that helps your cause.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I had to have a stiff drink after looking at that pile of white, shapeless... thingies.

I do not know what to make of it, and I hardly recognize anything. I know you do, and I know you have a plan... Or have you?

And you have to scratchbuild everything from the props to the toilet bowl? Did the people who sold you this "kit" try to sell you the Eiffel Tower as well?

I can only sit back and watch in awe as you perform your magic.

JR

• Haha 3

There's an excellent post in the reference section of this GB from @Shorty84who has provided a link to a superb build of this kit.

The dilemma I now have is with all the stuff that needs doing to it, not least of which is adding 4.5cm of extra fuselage missing from the middle of the kit (no the decimal point is in the right place  !) If I start this it's very likely to end up another unfinished build.

I already have an embarrassing number of these that make me feel guilty each time I look at them and with co-hosting the Meteor STGB coming soon I need to be a bit more sensible  :fool:

However don't worry I have found something in the same scale equally large if not bigger to take its place......

Any guesses ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Aw that's a shame Pat, I'd have liked to seen one of these built. I know storage would have been a bit of a problem, but you could always have hired a mooring berth at Oban harbour :D 

Something as big? Got me there... the Italeri Gigant?

Cheers, 

Stew

• Haha 3

Oh my, hopefully the BM community won't tar and feather me now, thinking I've discouraged you to start this kit :fight:

Will be interesting what your alternative entry is as there are not many kits which are as big or bigger. 

Cheers

Markus

• Haha 5

Hi Pat,

yes, @Stew Dapple may be correct. The Italeri Gigant, with or without engines would fit the bill. And it is good and honest plastic, and made by Italians in Bologna!!! Mama mia! What more could you wish for? I can already smell the rich aroma of the tomato sauce that must no doubt be found in the box.

Miam, miam! 

How warm are we?

Have fun mate.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A Boeing B-52 ?

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ooh, is it the YB-49 Flying Wing? :D 

Cheers,

Stew