Big Silver Wing, Northrop's YB49

Not very colourful unlike some of the others in the group build but an advanced prototype that was sidelined through political and commercial underhanded dealing between the Texas Congressional delegation, the Air Force and Convair meant it was never had the chance to be developed into and effective aircraft. So with out a doubt the biggest 1/72 I bought to date (Airfix's Vulcan might be bigger overall but not for wings span) the Italeri YB49 (rebox of the AMT kit but with less floppy plastic). I've done a test fit and there are some joints that will need extra work as there are no alignment tabs on the wing mating surfaces. Its a pretty simple kit, no bomb bays just a cockpit and a big wing so should be fairly quick to build.

DPsuPGh6_o.jpg

a4VMcbzF_o.jpg

• Like 19

Well in the end Jack Northrop got his last laugh, he was invited back to the factory right before he passed. He was able to see the B-2 prototype. Rumor has it he was told he had it right all along and he was crying from joy. Welcome to the build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cockpit detail painting done and the tub assembled with a few clamps as it a slightly odd shape. The observation will notice that I'm one seat short, which should be to the right of the captain's chair but it was missing when purchased.

LvSXjeTu_o.jpg

tLREqkQV_o.jpg

CIvQdWOe_o.jpg

cXH4UP3K_o.jpg

2cRgYQkp_o.jpg

Still have the rear bulkhead to go on and then it can go into the centre wing section.

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

That looks superb very Starship Enterprise with that interior.

I'm confident this one won't be a tailsitter, seeing as it doesn't have one ! :wink:

Best of luck 

cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.

Instructions call for 140gms around the cockpit so I'll be off to the local tyre fitting shop for some wheel weights.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That looks superb very Starship Enterprise with that interior.

Haha, exactly my thoughts too :D

Nice progress, I guess closing of the...wing will happen soon? Hope you have enough clamps for this big fella.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Cockpit is completed and in the centre wing assembly, I did have some pictures but it seems the memory card has failed so I had to go to Curry's for a new one. Even without the clear parts most of the cockpit is lost from view.

GBZZYNXf_o.jpg

MJ2I6QZa_o.jpg

And with the transparencies and tail cone on.

ySGZqV71_o.jpg

adHKHL2v_o.jpg

I was also lucky enough to find a storage box for the finished plane at Wilco's for a tenner, outer wing are just tapped together for a size test.

cyZTAZ4z_o.jpg

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 19

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

Those clear bits look beautifully clear, lovely progress so far.

They both had nasty seam lines but after a light sanding and buffing with some Flory polishing sticks followed with a coat of floor polish they are much better.

Got the wings glued on with a much better fit thanks to the added tabs.

MUwLuZOC_o.jpg

So I moved onto the leading edge sections but found these did not fit well so some plastic card has been used to fill most of the gaps.

G05O1UhB_o.jpg

rPx7kCyC_o.jpg

IXFMMxB0_o.jpg

• Like 13

Both leading edges on and started with sprue gloop and some plastic card to try a level the surfaces out as a few a quite a bit different. Bench is a bit messy at the moment.

bUEf56al_o.jpg

kdV034Wa_o.jpg

zzrvTYc3_o.jpg

sNyaGCKS_o.jpg

Also started on the wheels, sprayed with NATO Black and masked ready for aluminium hubs.

GgwUUHzN_o.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...