Racer: 1/72 S.B.S. Macchi MC 72. Complete

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

What do you use for glue? I am nervous about getting a good bond with thin CA glue, any tips?

You should not, CA is the only practical solution for resin kits, as to bonding CA glue is one of the strongest. 

Tips - I have many :) 

First of all, there are many different varieties of CA glue; I use at least three different viscosity options for different purposes, from high viscosity, literally a gel, for fine parts to super low viscosity for fine seams.

Apart from glue there are two important auxiliary chemicals - activator and debonder. 

When I need a fine seam I position the parts together, spill a small puddle of super low viscosity glue, pick a small drop of glue with a used knife blade (no longer sharp enough for its primary function) and just gently touch the seam. Because of low viscosity and capillary effect the glue would fill 3-5 millimeters of the seam and cure in 3-5 seconds with a nice, strong bond. After that I just repeat the process further down the seam, controlling mutual alignment of the parts. Any excess is removed by a cotton bud soaked with debonder. Debonder does not melt cured glue immediately, give it some time to work, some rubbing may also be needed.

IMG-20221106-150530.jpg

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Does this thing have 2 engines up front? If so, what a beast! Nice start, looks like a lovely kit.

It was powered by Fiat AS.6 engine, that is essentially two V-12 AS.5 engines driving two coaxial propellers

1280px-Macchi-Castoldi_M.C.72_engine_Fia 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Planebuilder62 said:

So is that super thin CA to join the fuselage halves, and also the wings to fuselage?

Yes, this time I used super thin CA to join halves, there is no need to use super thin for the wings because it would require less precision due to larger area of contact. Most likely that I will use gel that takes longer to cure and therefore makes it possible to adjust the correct angle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 05/11/2022 at 17:12, Pin said:

SBS kits belong to "try not to spoil it with your sausage fingers" category. So it is all about damage limitation

Yes, having just had some initial prods of one of their lovely DH88 kits, I entirely agree with this statement.

Looking fantastic, as you say the brass radiators on Italian red and bare metal look really fantastic. Well done preserving the finish under the masking. I'm keen to see how this one turns out, it has all the right ingredients. Lovely kit, nutty subject, expert treatment. 

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Yes, having just had some initial prods of one of their lovely DH88 kits, I entirely agree with this statement.

Yea, I have built their "Comet", really nice kit but I am not totally happy with how I built it, gloss black is very demanding 

IMG-20221003-082518.jpg

• Like 6

As usual, when the plane is close to completion some unbearable inaccuracies arise. 

This is the instruction

macchi-mc-72--early-version--full-kit-1.

and this is the real thing No 179:

fighter-aircraft-macchi-1937-RGPEF4.jpg

No trim tab.

Interestingly, the rudder part from the kit does not have it so I added it myself and there is also a correct, shorter lower fin. I should have referred to the photos rather than blindly follow the instructions. 
Also, not all of the rods are shown in the instruction sheet although there are holes for them on the fuselage and floaters. 

• Like 2

Hi

This might be a bit late but I thought the Alluminium floats looked a bit odd. Not that every museum is correct but here's the real thing in the Italian Airforce museum. The floats are red on top and white underneath. Also the top of the cowl is not silver as in your instructions. The silver is only 2 access panels, the rest is brass.   

Your model is looking great already.

IMG_3044

IMG_3052

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There were five machines built, all slightly different

seaplane-macchi-castoldi-mc-72-1937-RGPE

Hmmm, this picture shows longer lower fin and (maybe) the trim tab. I am coming to conclusion that it was not necessary to remove the trim tab. It seems like it was added at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Colin W said:

The silver is only 2 access panels, the rest is brass.   

That's right
IMG-20221109-165045.jpg

• Like 13