Airfix 1/48 Chipmunk WB585

woody37

I did this a while ago but never got round to sharing it. Lovely kit, the only issue to sort was the warped wing. I'm from a vintage where we used to fly these in Air Cadets like many others here so it would be rude not to add a few to the collection!

Painted in MRP lacquers which go on beautifully, thanks for looking :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 59
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, stringbag said:

Lovely job Neil. :thumbsup:

Was that a Woodvale machine?

Chris.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I think there's many of us who have a soft spot for the Chippy, it's been part of so many teenage lives whether we went on to serve or not.

Chris, this was Audley End 2nd FTS I believe, OOB decals. I'm wanting to do one that I flew from Woodvale next using the aftermarket decal sheet :)

Thanks

On 9/16/2022 at 10:29 PM, Lord Riot said:

That’s beautifully made, perfect paintwork and markings.

Like many, my first Air Cadets flying was in these, at Woodvale. 

Woodvale here too, mid to late 80's!

On 9/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, T-21 said:

How did you get the wings straight please ? apart from removing the locating pin's. Superb representation.

Pretty much just removed the tab and held the two halves with masking tape whilst the glue dried. Cheers

• Like 1

Stunning! Being of the gen-z its a shame they phased of the Chipmunks for the Tutors (not that I ever did air cadets!) as I think I have a slight soft spot for the machine!

Love the build though and I can see what you mean about the lacquers going on really nicely, looks fab!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MBM said:

Stunning! Being of the gen-z its a shame they phased of the Chipmunks for the Tutors (not that I ever did air cadets!) as I think I have a slight soft spot for the machine!

Love the build though and I can see what you mean about the lacquers going on really nicely, looks fab!

Cheers,

Mark

My son flew in the Tutors, there's something about the older aircraft though that is to be missed, character and idiosyncrasies. Modernising the line-up is necessary I guess though I'm sure there's many of us who would love to see the Vulcan and Lightning still in service too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woody37 said:

My son flew in the Tutors, there's something about the older aircraft though that is to be missed, character and idiosyncrasies. Modernising the line-up is necessary I guess though I'm sure there's many of us who would love to see the Vulcan and Lightning still in service too!

Ah very nice, I wish I did air cadets but I'm not starting rotary training so no complaints here! As my dad always says everything looks so similar these days in a broad sense and he's got a point. I'd love to see a Lightning fly someday, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1