SMER Potez 540

woody37

Wow! That's terrific work. Great subject. Good to see these 30s French types getting a gong here. I find them strangely attractive (it's true that I'm into the grotesque).

I would love to know the design philosophy prevalent in parts of the French aircraft industry of the time

French aircraft designer thinks: 'Why should the Marine Nationale have all the fun with weird and whacky designs?' Though perhaps I'm referring to armoured cruiser designs of a previous era.

The Farman F.223 would have to be the ultimate expression of this look for bombers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Wow! Lovin' that.

As far as roundel colours, I’m still searching. White and red are easy, it’s the light blue that foxes me. Different kit makers also disagree over it. I wonder if there are any French BMers who might be able to pin down things nicely.

Yes, the blue has me foxed too, I've just left the decals as is although I suspect the blue to be a bit too dark on these.

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking mighty fine despite the agro, Neil! :)

Martin

Thanks Martin, glad I'm passed that stage now! Off to buy a new kit with the contents of the swear box 🤣

On 9/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, Maginot said:

Wow! That's terrific work. Great subject. Good to see these 30s French types getting a gong here. I find them strangely attractive (it's true that I'm into the grotesque).

French aircraft designer thinks: 'Why should the Marine Nationale have all the fun with weird and whacky designs?' Though perhaps I'm referring to armoured cruiser designs of a previous era.

The Farman F.223 would have to be the ultimate expression of this look for bombers.

I'm with you on these strange mid war designs. Much like cars, it was a thing of the era, not just restrained to French designs I guess. Engine pods sat between wings and slab-sided aircraft was a common design feature until the advent of monocoque structures.

It's now finished, this must be a record for me! RFI:

spacer.png

• Like 5