Let’s Race. #1. Hall’s Bulldog. *Finished*

My first entry is Williams Brothers 1/32 Hall’s Bulldog. An air racer from the 1930s.

Halls Bulldog

From the Williams Brothers website

“The Bulldog racer was the brainchild of Bob Hall, previously known for his design efforts on the Gee Bee Z with the Granville Brothers. It was built under a contract from Marion Guggenheim, who named the plane in tribute to the Yale mascot. Best known as one of the most beautiful racers of the 1930’s, Hall strongly desired to prove his design prowess in the ’32 Thompson Trophy race flying against his former employer’s Gee Bee R1 and R2, as well as the Wedell Williams contenders. Without enough time to work with a newly introduced variable pitch prop, the engine did not develop performance horsepower and he placed a disappointing 6th place, yet still earned a his place in aviation history for the effort.”

If you are interested further information can be found here http://www.airracinghistory.freeola.com/aircraft/Hall Bulldog Racer.htm

• Like 7

Nice, I shall look forward to your progress with this.

There is a project underway to reproduce a full size exact replica, their website has a bunch of great period photos and they have a few youtube videos discussing the project.

Malc.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you getting started into this one JB. A bit of clean-up work required yes but always worthwhile to get a decent model of an unusual subject and nothing beyond your skills.

• 3 weeks later...

While it may have an eggy hint to itself at the moment that comes from following a classic racer recipe - take the most powerful engine possible and match that to the bare minimum needed to make it work.

In this case some of that minimum happens to be filler :lol:

• Like 1

Beginning to look like a plane now. Wings have been fixed, the struts are just held in position with tape , they will be tenoned for painting and decalling before being fixed back in position.

Halls Bulldog

Halls Bulldog

Looking at that photo it occurred to me I really need to tidy the bench.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

This has finally made it back onto the bench. The markings are a mix of painted sections and decals. Williams Brothers include paper masks for the black areas.

Halls Bulldog

The remainder of the markings are decals which includes the white edging to the black areas. I am a little concerned about the decals, the ones provided for the Laird Super Solution really didn’t want to release from the backing paper, had to use hot water to get them to release, and had a tendency to shatter. However once you got then off the paper, they actually settled down really nice.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this one done. The decals were frustrating, even after a week on the model you only had to look at them and they fractured and moved. Finally got them to settle down with a couple of coats of Future brushed on.

Halls Bulldog

Halls Bulldog

• Like 8