This is a placeholder for my third FineMolds F-4 build. Its a reissue from last winter of three 1982 one-off schemes from the JASDF '82 ACM. Currently intending to do the scheme in the bottom image, unique for a F-4 its a navy blue underside, with loads of white stencils, with 3 shades of blue on the top, and then normally painted white and grey tanks (no other stores in the only photo I can find). Oh and weathering, those mid-blue diamonds on the top streaked into the pale blue.

Will be OOB except for Quinta 3D cockpit and Master probe.

Sprue shot when I start, after CF-104 and CF-116 builds done for Century Series and F-5 GBs.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pit done now and buttoned up. I drilled the bit between front and rear and glued some lead wire that I will connect to the rear I/P. The next stage on a FineMolds F-4 is intakes and vari-ramps, and I forgot to paint the vari-ramps, which on this plane is 3 colours, white, light gray and the special scheme light blue. So while starting to paint the vari-ramps I painted the underside doors  and the stabs with the navy blue, Hu15, and they have dried all rough. Its a brand new tin, thoroughly stirred so I am at a bit of a loss as a lot of the airframe will be this navy blue and I can't find another enamel paint that looks right; do Humbrol gloss enamels need some special technique when brush painted?

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sorry to learn about your paint issue Chris but I'd be blaming the paint itself rather than anything about your technique. Perhaps filtering it through a fine mesh to check for impurities will help establish if it's going to be usable?

White, grey, and light blue on splitter plates, just the navy to go, and paint behind on the fuselage. Once I have these completely painted assembly of fuselage and wings will be relatively quick.

Stabs stripped of rough paint.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

So a long time with little to show. Firstly the dark blue paint:

• I could not see how to sieve an enamel.
  • Tried thinning more than normal before brushing, still got a rough finish.
  • Bought another tin of Hu15 online, same.
  • Bought other dark blue enamels online.
  • Eventually found one that is good enough after a few coats and some fine sanding; see stabs.
  • Applied to splitter plates this week. 

So over last 24 hours assembled the splitter plates, intakes, fuselage and wings.

There has also been a lot of other things in life taking priority, a good family Christmas, and my Dad died, a good long life but still a loss, and writing a eulogy took a lot.

Obviously, as is normal for me, I am not going to finish this within the GB dates. I'll carry on here for the next few weeks until recce and classic Japanese GBs start, they are pretty much the same dates, so I don't expect much time for this then, but later on the year...

This has been a fascinating GB with the variety of subjects and kits which I wouldn't normally look at, and many superb builds, so many thanks to @Col. and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for running it.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're going through a tough time at the moment Chris, sadly life does that to us sometimes, having lost my own father a few years ago I have an understanding of what you are going through and you have my deepest sympathies. Take care of yourself and your family and remember the many happy memories you have of your dad.

• Thanks 1

Really appreciate the supportive comments, thank you. Bit more assembly today;

• Blanking plates where the cat tie downs are on navy variants
  • Gun housing.
  • Nose radome.
  • Supplementary air intakes.
  • Rear heat resistant area.

Close in shot of the 4-colour splitter plates and overview resting on new stand as recommended by @81-er. A few more bits to complete assembly then some minor filling and sanding, eg just behind starboard supp intake, before painting.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Is everything coming together well Chris of is the filling and sanding taking a bit of time?

Yes thanks, going well; a couple of minor errors on my part and a desire to get things better than last FM F-4. 

Chris

First (of many) coats of paint on; pale blue, doesn't show that well on phone camera and I ended up with more thinner than needed so a very thin coat. Much happier with intake seams than previous builds of this kit.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

5 days and a number of coats later and the light blue is done, nearly. As per instructions not using an undercoat but that means the blue shows up areas needing more sanding; may revisit behind the canopy, before the masking. Starboard outer wing is to be all the darkest blue, which is why no light blue.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 4