Le Mans 1966 - Tim's Ford GT40 - COMPLETED

Committing to this Fujimi kit,  which I commented in the chat thread.  My third favourite racing car.

Fujimi-GT40.jpg

Long time resident of my stash, I hadn't appreciated the history of that race. . .

. . . until I watched this DVD,

01-Mc-Laren.jpg

and read the book.

Ford-GT40.jpg

Knowing the true story of the finish of the 1966 Le Mans race, rendered ending of the the film a huge Hollywood anti-climax for me.

01-Film.jpg

Showing the politics of Ford at the time, it acknowledging the massive efforts of driver Ken Miles, and raises Carroll Shelby to legendary status. 

With hindsight, I'd prefer to build Miles' car, but this is the kit I've got.  

Please, no suggestions for after market decals - I'll build the kit as it is.

• Like 11

The GT40 is a classic as is on looks alone and the history of it only adds to its status so your subject choice is a wonderful one Tim. Besides, once you've finished this one, you can then justify another kit to do Ken Miles' example... ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

The GT40 is a classic as is on looks alone and the history of it only adds to its status so your subject choice is a wonderful one Tim. Besides, once you've finished this one, you can then justify another kit to do Ken Miles' example... ;) 

Thanks for that thought Col.  I live very close to HiroBoy, and checked their stock of GT40 decals just before I posted.

Probable plan would be to airbrush the body-shell,  then leave it a long time to cure - and finishing other stuff on my bench.

Two other candidate kits already in my stash for my second and favourite racing cars.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Thanks for that thought Col.  I live very close to HiroBoy, and checked their stock of GT40 decals just before I posted.

Probable plan would be to airbrush the body-shell,  then leave it a long time to cure - and finishing other stuff on my bench.

Two other candidate kits already in my stash for my second and favourite racing cars.

Tim, if I lived close to HiroBoy I'd be bankrupt, you clearly have remarkable restraint :lol:

Is there a chance we will get to see either of your other two favourites within this GB? :pray:

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I just saw the film last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I long ago learned not to believe there's anything historically accurate about a film - I have a feeling that anyone related to the real-life men in suits, or any of the Italian characters (who seemed to be portrayed as either inept or villainous!), might have some issues with their portrayal!

The GT40 and its rivals must be some of the best looking racing cars ever built - if I was going to get into car modelling (which is pretty unlikely to be honest), the GT40 would be top of the list. So I'm looking forward to this build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice.

When I built one, I found it impossible to stretch the body wide enough to go over the chassis without fear of cracking it, so I cut one door sill off along the panel line to get the body over the chassis.

Malc.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:03 PM, woody37 said:

Nice start. Been to watch the 24hr many times, this is getting me in the spirit to organise another trip!

Yep,  I've been there 1983, and 1984 - dominated be the then new Porsche 956.

Anyway, this certainly isn't a 24 hour build, but a bit of progress,

Interior painted flat black, Humbrol 33.

06-Interior-Black.jpg

• Like 7

Nice..... I've always had a soft spot for the GT40 since my slot racing days in the late 60s. 

And I finally got one of these kits, along with the Fujimi Shelby Cobra 427. I've done the Cobra.... wasn't too keen on some of the shortcuts and compromises taken by Fujimi but built up OK with a bit of scratch. 

The Ford is still in the box, beckoning now and then, and your build thread may be the motivation I need....! 

Let's see what you can make of it. Looks good so far.... 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...