J35J Draken Swedish Special Schemes, Hasegawa 1/72

This will be my entry for the 'special schemes' section of this GB. The Hasegawa kit looks pretty nice in the box, it's a special edition that gives you 2 kits and the decals for both the blue and yellow aircraft. I will be doing the blue one and maybe if there is time the yellow.

WyhsLth.jpg

• Like 8

Cool subject choice Brad and a nice kit of the type :speak_cool:

There's a couple places where the fit is less than perfect but overall it is one of Hasegawa's better kits.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats a very good looking scheme on the Draken. What does the design in gold on the upper fuselage represent ? 

It's F10's (wing 10) second (blue) squadron's emblem. Swedish Air Force of course! 😎

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small start on the interior. Splashed around some light green, there are decals for the instruments and the seat of course. Nothing spectacular but it will do the job.

xSrOxdt.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away, although I was a bit crook lately and cricket season as started so things slowed a little. Although we are into round 3 and haven't played a game yet due to rain. Anyways, the two halves are together, fit is okish, it will need some work around the front fuselage to make it all nice.

C88Jqum.jpg

• Like 8

Remember the fit was less than perfect on my one as well, particularly the intakes and rear fuselage section, required more attention than I expected from a Hasegawa kit.

• Like 1

Went on a bit of a building spree this morning. The intakes and the aft end were indeed poorer fits than usual, I took to sanding away at the mating surfaces until they looked better. 

gWDHjYm.jpg

This is probably the worst joint, but sanding away the attachment ring and then using a large flat file to work the mating surfaces really improves things. It was much worse before that.

aOmgDIJ.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/16/2022 at 3:32 PM, Moggy said:

It's F10's (wing 10) second (blue) squadron's emblem. Swedish Air Force of course! 😎

Cheers, Moggy

… and the swordfish of the other option is the emblem of the third. Corresponding fancy markings for the first squadron Draken is also represented in kit-form (white ghost on red). 

*answering questions nobody asked*

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Brad said:

This is probably the worst joint, but sanding away the attachment ring and then using a large flat file to work the mating surfaces really improves things. It was much worse before that.

Filed away for when I get around to building mine.

AW

• Like 1

Alright, some paint. Gunze H15 blue.

hZZUV6x.jpg

...aaaand some masking for the grey undersurface of the wings. After this the undersurface of the fuselage will be masked and painted natural metal.

yZtq7qW.jpg

• Like 7

Just now, Courageous said:

I've just noticed that you've fitted the undercarriage already. Isn't this a little risky, I've always talked myself out of this in fear of breaking them?

Stuart

Nah I usually do that so I can sit it up and paint the under surface. I can then go back and brush paint the legs if I have to.

• Like 2

Painting continues. I put the grey on and then masked up for the natural metal. Humbrol 27002 polished aluminium is my go to NMF. It's almost bullet proof and looks good.

zhXgks1.jpg

3wha8sh.jpg

Pretty much all the parts on apart from the top antenna. I've put a light gloss coat on ready for some decals but I will keep her nice and gloss as it looked pretty clean in real life.

CTaKNh1.jpg

• Like 6

Well I had today free due to cricket being washed out for 3 rounds in a row, thus I decided to finish this off. I did have a little issue with the main decal, it tore slightly so I patched it with a spare bit of white. Other than that, I just glossed with future floor polish both under and over the decals and left things as is. No weathering as the aircraft looked very clean. Thanks for following along.

B0xoAwe.jpg

YR7buH3.jpg

hxp7z1M.jpg

XXysLK3.jpg

nOx1C0u.jpg

• Like 11