COPD suffers

TANK63

I haven't been diagnosed with COPD but have developed a sensitivity to most of the chemicals we use (glue, thinners, resin dust etc) that results in very similar symptoms - acute shortage of breath and chest pains. I tried masks and even built a fume cabinet in my workshop but they weren't particularly effective so ended up giving up this form of modelling. Possibly not what you were hoping to read...

That said, if it just the act of spraying then consider just brush painting acrylics?

1 hour ago, TANK63 said:

Any other members with this illness.

I tried to spray paint the other day struggled breathing with a protective mask, couldn’t get enough air coming through filter. Anybody the same and how did they manage?

It isn't just time for a filter change maybe. They do have a finite life span & where I worked, the moment you could smell what you didn't want to, it was time for a change.

Steve.

My sister in law and my daughter dont come into my modelling room while I'm in there as they can't stand the vapours, smell of glue or thinners. I have asthma myself but these vapours dont bother me in the slightest!:hmmm:

• Like 1

Guilty as charged Tank. As has been said above, it may just be a fault on your mask. It could also be the disease progressing a bit more. Some folks hardly notice they have it. Others have the disease and it goes so far and develops no further. Some, like me, suffer with all sorts of shenanigans with it. Can't walk across the room some days, other days if the missus sprays an aerosol in the garden it sets me off choking and coughing even tho I'm indoors. It defo ain't fun.

There is some good news tho. There are better inhalers and drugs than there were. There are many exercises that help too. If you are in GB you can maybe try to get your GP to send you to Pulmonary Rehab. That works for some folks really well.

As for the modelling side, it's a case of trying different methods. If it is just the airbrush, maybe you can revert to paintbrushes? If like me, all of the products on the bench were giving me grief from fumes, dust etc. I, sadly had to pack it in.

I pray that you don't. Keep battling, don't give up just yet. There's a good long way down the track yet.

Regards

Pete

I find that trimming the butterfly tree can really irritate and incur a reaction with my COPD.Everything else,including enamal and thinner fumes don't affect me,(no mask,love the smell!)reactions are down to the individual,and possibly the severity of the problem.I do find that I cannot walk as fast I was once able too,and if I walk into town,a distance of 2 kilometres,I have to have a few minutes respite approx half way through the journey.

Dave.

Or you could change to using Colourcoats paint mostly. Faster drying and minimum odour!

I love the Colourcoats paint, goes on beautifully and dries beautifully too, deep and rich!👍😎

Yes I still use Humbrol or Revell enamel paint as well as Colourcoats ,but if possible I try to use Colourcoats for main colours. Maybe I’m just so used to the smell of thinners, paint and glue now that I don’t notice it anymore. I certainly don’t discredit those who do suffer from the condition, that wouldn’t be fair or decent of me. I have asthma myself though I have it well under control but I can still be a bit wheezy in the colder weather so I know what it’s like to be short of breath. That can be bad enough in itself.

• 1 month later...