1/72 - Boeing Skyfox 3D printed kit by Out Of the Box Models (OOtB) - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Boeing Skyfox 3D printed kit by Out Of the Box Models (OOtB) - released

Never heard of this aircraft. Surprised to learn it's actually a highly modified T-33, it shares about 70% of parts with that. Look pretty futuristic for a design that's 40 years old, based itself on a design that's over 70 years old.

Edited by sroubos

6 minutes ago, Britman said:

I built one of these from the Hasegawa kit about thirty years ago and was very pleased with the effort. However whilst away from the family home for a period,my dad (also a modeller) broke it up for the engines! 

Keith 

Ouch - "Hey, guess what I did while you were away!"...

John

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MiG-Mech said:

Why does this plane have two external APUs ?

If I understand your question, they are the engines. The Skyfox conversion replaced the one internal engine of the T-33 with two external ones.

don’t know what they did with the now spare internal volume, fuel perhaps.

Interesting model kit. The Portuguese Air Force was supposed to be the (or one of the) launch customer(s) for the Boeing Skyfox, having signed an LOI for 20 conversion kits for their extensive T-33A fleet.

Insufficient interest however ended up killing this project, sometimes dubbed around here as "Batman's Plane" or simply "Batplane". 

(Illustrations taken from Lift Here's 1/72 resin Boeing Skyfox)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
  • Like 4

It's a weird prototype I often considered for scratch conversion from a T-33 kit. Now this new kit seems a perfect chance to experiment with 3D printed products, while I'm a bit daunted by the postage rates: 25 euros just for one smallish kit from USA to Italy! Did I lost contact with the current shipping costs or is it a bit expensive?

I would have to pay also custom duties, so it is really too much for a single kit.

2 hours ago, Whirly said:

It's a weird prototype I often considered for scratch conversion from a T-33 kit. Now this new kit seems a perfect chance to experiment with 3D printed products, while I'm a bit daunted by the postage rates: 25 euros just for one smallish kit from USA to Italy! Did I lost contact with the current shipping costs or is it a bit expensive?

I would have to pay also custom duties, so it is really too much for a single kit.

Yep you have lost touch with the current shipping prices! It’s getting expensive nowadays 😐

cheers, Jan

On 9/14/2022 at 7:49 PM, GTX said:

Does anyone know how to contact them - I couldn't find an email or contact mechanism on their website.  I am curious if it is possible to get a scaled up (to 1/48) given it is 3D printed.

Great minds think alike ;)

While there are indeed no contact details on the homepage, Member @orionfield is the man behind Out of the Box Models. He was posting in the thread about the planned Yak-9T before he ran into trouble with Crowdfunding the project. You could try to PM him although he was not active since November 2019.

Cheers

Markus

On 9/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, Trenton guy said:

If I understand your question, they are the engines. The Skyfox conversion replaced the one internal engine of the T-33 with two external ones.

don’t know what they did with the now spare internal volume, fuel perhaps.

I believe thats correct. 

22 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Great minds think alike ;)

While there are indeed no contact details on the homepage, Member @orionfield is the man behind Out of the Box Models. He was posting in the thread about the planned Yak-9T before he ran into trouble with Crowdfunding the project. You could try to PM him although he was not active since November 2019.

Cheers

Markus

That would be because thats not our Homepage! Sorry I've missing lately, but I just recently re-launched Out of the Box after a hiatus.   I've also updated the link in my signature to our new website, which has a contact form.   

In addition to releasing decal sets and Model kits, like the Skyfox, Thomas-Morse MB-3, Windecker YE-5A and the Yaks, I really want to focus Out of the Box more on custom work.  I want to focus on designing custom decals and custom model kits for customers who want to commission them. For example, if you wanted a 1/72nd version of any of the aircraft we've already done in 1/400 scale, we could do that for as low as $200. We would upscale it, and add panel lines, windows and other details appropriate for 1/72nd scale models.  We also have a brand new 3D printer that is, as far as I know, the largest consumer resin printers on the market, allowing us to 3D Print aircraft as large as a 1/72 747 or C-5 Galaxy. 

Edited by orionfield
  • Like 3