De Havilland Vampire J 28C

81-er

Finally, I’ve managed to finish something! It’s the 1/72 Airfix De Havilland Vampire T.11/J-28C kit, which I started for the 2nd Blitzbuild. I didn’t finish for the deadline, but I did manage to build it in under 24hrs of work.

Alterations from the kit are limited to the pitot replaced with Albion Alloys tubing after the kit one snapped off and seatbelts made from tape (first go for me). It was also my first attempt at dot filters. The day glow panels are also painted rather than the kit decals, which didn’t look very convincing.

The build thread is here:

PteUUij.jpg

LLDIL5E.jpg

7DTEl5T.jpg

xKUOWFZ.jpg

0kUvAsy.jpg

OAomrVB.jpg

A7VTo2P.jpg

Uorm9HW.jpg

PnIibqs.jpg

Comments gratefully received

James

• Like 46

Entertaining build thread with some techniques I'd never heard of, or thought of trying before 👍

Plus, the Swedish colour scheme: again I've never thought of trying it, but it's looking terrific on your model.

The photos are great, and make the model look almost 1/32 scale.

The irony being it would still be quite a small model in 1/32 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments folks

34 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Entertaining build thread with some techniques I'd never heard of, or thought of trying before 👍

Plus, the Swedish colour scheme: again I've never thought of trying it, but it's looking terrific on your model.

The photos are great, and make the model look almost 1/32 scale.

The irony being it would still be quite a small model in 1/32 🙂

I do try to make my threads entertaining, I'm glad it's working. And definitely hve a go at new techniques, it's a lot of fun. Not sure about a 1/32 one, but I'd definitely like a 1/48 two-seater Vampire. Apparently Pilot Replicas are working on one, which makes me happy.

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

excellent little vampire, 1:72 is far too small for me to think about, eyesight and fat fingers, I really like the subtle fades on the paint

she look spot on

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

Thanks John, much appreciated. She wouldn't look as good as she does if your builds hadn't spurred me on to try black basing, so thank you for that. Keep your eyes peeled as well, the Ar 555 and Hellcat aren't far off being finished at last either ;)

James

• Like 2

A most excellent J 28C (please note, no hyphen!) from the F 14 fighter wing in Halmstad on the Swedish west coast!

Honestly, I did wonder if it was 1:48th scale…

A minor blooper – none of the over 400 Vampires in the Sw AF had bang seats, just regular bucket seats.

Beautiful modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

Thank you for the corrections, Joachim. I'm blaming Airfix, they used the hyphen on the box and only supplied the kit with bang seats. I would dearly love a 1/48 twin seater, I believe Pilot Replicas is working on one.

James

• Like 1

• 81-er changed the title to De Havilland Vampire J 28C

Nice build. I have just started on a couple Vampires after seeing this.

I don't think that Airfix goofed with the bang seats. They supplied decals for a civilian registered plane. It is not one of the original Swedish AF planes but an ex Swiss AF plane and as far as I know has bang seats.

Sadly it seems that the vampire Mk.1 sets from Pavla is out of production so that is a small problem for my build.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...