A new tooled 1/48 scale Canadair CT-114 Tutor !!!

SharkOwl

A new tooled 1/48 scale Canadair CT-114 Tutor !!!

For your information.

A renowned Canadian model maker who wishes to remain anonymous for the moment have recently started a project

for a new tool 1/48 scale kit of the Canadair CT-114 Tutor.

The project is currently on its first steps and we are here far from being able to set a possible date of availability.

This future kit will most probably be a mixed media type with injected plastic parts, 3D printed resin parts and photoetch.

The markings will be produced by an internationally renowned decal printer.

For the moment,  this canadian model maker has allowed me to share with you some 3D / CAD images of his project.

A project to follow with great interest.

😎👍

SharkOwl from Quebec.

tut03.jpg

tut04.jpg

tut05.jpg

tut06.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Great news ! Promising 3D renders.

Sound a wise kit choice for a Canadian model maker considering the popularity of the RCAF Display Team the "Snowbirds".

And then - I've a dream - new tool injected plastic kits of the Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck Mk.3/.4/.5 in 1/48th scale ? 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

Share with us all here a detailed description of these shape issues.

Thanks in advance.

😎

SharkOwl

Just put Tony on your payroll and everything will be perfect. He’s the man for Tutors and Sabres. And to boot he is a former Snowbird.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Just put Tony on your payroll and everything will be perfect. He’s the man for Tutors and Sabres. And to boot he is a former Snowbird.

actually, there are a couple other chaps that have a better understanding of the shape issues concerning the CT-114 than I.  They are far better able to critique the shape than I.  Whether or not they are on Britmodeller, I am not positive.

Tony

15 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

Share with us all here a detailed description of these shape issues.

Thanks in advance.

😎

SharkOwl

not a 'detailed' list like you are expecting;  a couple of things immediately stand out(to me).

the intakes/nacelles are not right and the rear fuselage underside is not as squarish as the CAD images show.

Tony

On 9/13/2022 at 11:56 PM, SharkOwl said:

A project to follow with great interest.

😎👍

SharkOwl from Quebec.

My opinion only But I can't think of anything less interesting  (Ok if you're a Canadian .. I get it ) 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Calum said:

My opinion only But I can't think of anything less interesting

Hmm, not even a new-tool, better than anything released before, Bf 109G-6? ;)

Thankfully we are all different, so there's something for everybody to drool over :D

Cheers

Markus

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't understand that post.   If it's something that doesn't interest your taste, then why even bother clicking the thread?   Rather post elsewhere on something you do support.   It's doubtful a negative comment will discourage the designer's direction.  I'm going to say the poster had a bad day, as I'm not inclined to think they are 'one of those guys'.

-------------------

The Tutor is an interesting subject, not just for Canadians, but also for fans of the Snowbirds demonstration team.   It has been a good two decades when the first and only kit was released in this scale, so it was due for a fresh take on the subject.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, JackG said:

Yeah, I don't understand that post.   If it's something that doesn't interest your taste, then why even bother clicking the thread?   Rather post elsewhere on something you do support.   It's doubtful a negative comment will discourage the designer's direction.  I'm going to say the poster had a bad day, as I'm not inclined to think they are 'one of those guys'.

-------------------

The Tutor is an interesting subject, not just for Canadians, but also for fans of the Snowbirds demonstration team.   It has been a good two decades when the first and only kit was released in this scale, so it was due for a fresh take on the subject.

regards,

Jack

And there are not one, but two 1/48 Tutors in the works. All indications are this group is not the manufacturer I know is working on a 1/48 Tutor.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JackG said:

-------------------

regards,

Jack

Well said Jack.

I'm not a Canadian but the Tutor interests me and wears its Snowbirds scheme well so if the kit is a good one and reasonably priced there's a high likelihood it will be added to my stash upon release.

Then again if you wish to see negative posts on a subject look no further than the Xtrakit SRA-1 thread - anyone would think Airfix had dared to release it rather than everyone's prefered subject :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

And there are not one, but two 1/48 Tutors in the works. All indications are this group is not the manufacturer I know is working on a 1/48 Tutor.

Are we allowed to know which manufacturer you know is working on the other kit or is it too early yet to say?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Are we allowed to know which manufacturer you know is working on the other kit or is it too early yet to say?

I’m not sure, it isn’t the greatest kept secret. It was a promise many moons ago and was initially supposed to be released in 1/32 scale. It is a big name manufacturer. I gave them access to a Tutor in the 2005/2006 timeframe.

I know someone involved in it now and it has definitely been revitalized, but this time in 1/48. I know the owner of the company, although I am not currently involved.

I am hopeful one of these groups releases a Tutor. I think I know who is involved with this one, but I’m not sure.

• Thanks 1

Don't care who is doing it right now. As long as it blows the old Hobbycraft kit out of the water.
Missed out on getting one back then. As well some of their other stuff. Not paying crazy Ebay prices.
Always wanted to do a Snowbirds aircraft. Saw them first time at Hamilton AFB in the early 80's before it was shutdown. Biggs AAF back in the late 98 when stationed at Ft. Bliss. The last time was here in Santa Rosa at the PCAM airshow in 2015.
So bring it on!

Biggs AAF 1998
spacer.png

Santa Rosa 2015

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by sinistervampire319
Hit wrong button
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’m not sure, it isn’t the greatest kept secret. It was a promise many moons ago and was initially supposed to be released in 1/32 scale. It is a big name manufacturer. I gave them access to a Tutor in the 2005/2006 timeframe.

I know someone involved in it now and it has definitely been revitalized, but this time in 1/48. I know the owner of the company, although I am not currently involved.

I am hopeful one of these groups releases a Tutor. I think I know who is involved with this one, but I’m not sure.

For your information.

This 1/48 scale Canadair CT-114 Tutor project is not from a big name manufacturer that you gave access to a

Tutor in the 2005/2006 timeframe.

😎

SharkOwl

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

For your information.

This 1/48 scale Canadair CT-114 Tutor project is not from a big name manufacturer that you gave access to a

Tutor in the 2005/2006 timeframe.

😎

SharkOwl

The Tutor hasn’t changed in that time. And since 2005/6 this company has produced and released at least 8 toolings from the same visits.

My guess is for your Tutor is by David Winter, who formerly ran Canuck Models. Only a guess.

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

The Tutor hasn’t changed in that time. And since 2005/6 this company has produced and released at least 8 toolings from the same visits.

My guess is for your Tutor is by David Winter, who formerly ran Canuck Models. Only a guess.

I confirm to you that this new 1/48 Tutor project is not from David Winter.

😎

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl

• 4 weeks later...

I am pretty sure that before his passing in May 2014, Rick Chin, who owned Uncle Bills Hobbies in Calgary, had been talking to Raymond at Kinetic Models about doing a 1/32 CT-114 Tutor. I don’t know who the Canadian contingent is but I’ll bet the other 1/48 kit is coming from Kinetic.

Edited by TBC

On 10/20/2022 at 12:47 AM, TBC said:

I am pretty sure that before his passing in May 2014, Rick Chin, who owned Uncle Bills Hobbies in Calgary, had been talking to Raymond at Kinetic Models about doing a 1/32 CT-114 Tutor. I don’t know who the Canadian contingent is but I’ll bet the other 1/48 kit is coming from Kinetic.

It seems that the Kinetic option for a Tutor Kit in 1/48 is also a very strong possibility.

To follow with great interest.

😎

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl