1/48 Vought OS2U Kingfisher (Monogram)

Hello Dear Friends!

After the japanese 'Pete' I chose to build the american counterpart, the ubiquitous Vought Kingfisher. Not the prettiest kite over the Pacific during 1941-1945, but surely one of the most important unsung heroes of that war front.

I got lucky and found a 1990's reissue of the old 1967 molds by Monogram. As a lot of you dear fellows know the Monogram kit suffers from a lot of shortcomings and innacuracies, mostly regarding the EDO float, the engine cowling and the rather spartan and simple cockpit. To fulfill that deficiencies I ordered the superb Flight Engineering pack with all the troublesome parts rebuild in resin. 10 points to the FE pack!

The other interesting experience I had building this lovely seaplane, was the search for the correct colours of the 3-tone (actually 4-tone) cammo of the US Navy since the early 1943... I put my confidence in the accuracy of the AK Real Colors Intermediate Blue and Sea Blue to reach the goal, but the result was rather dissapointing when I compare their tonalities with some color photos of the time. I decided to intervined the 2 colours, adding some more blue and a little bit of red... and the results -at least for me- were much better.

So... enough words! Here are the photos of this rugged and sturdy sea bird, ready to get catapulted from some American battleship or cruiser.

Cris.

53AABBDC-11DB-42FE-A7A4-48DA82C0E5B6

FC49348F-3DFB-442B-A18A-45D658C94BAA

6E424F0B-D9F6-486D-8104-6C46E129675A

EBFDFD86-DCB2-4076-BC18-F147B89F8639 B5DA5AA7-8B41-408E-85C1-FA384150180D C9475C33-083B-433E-A460-D5F04BDA3CC5 D4912F9F-598E-48FD-AC63-872212BEF3B5

9470DE20-8444-4052-B56F-BB1EB54C97AA

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

That's a darn good job on that old kit. I'm going to build one, too, soon with lot's of aftermarket. Your colours are particularly good. The only note - if I may - concerns the star-and-bars which I think are too shiny. Maybe give it a flat brush-over?

• Thanks 1

You have given life to a really old kit I bought when I was young and hastily put together.  The finish of the colors is really good.  I am really impressed with the crew figures in the placement and painting.  This does not look like its origins were in the 60s.  Well done.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's a darn good job on that old kit. I'm going to build one, too, soon with lot's of aftermarket. Your colours are particularly good. The only note - if I may - concerns the star-and-bars which I think are too shiny. Maybe give it a flat brush-over?

Thank you very much. Yes! You are absolutely right about the american national insignia, I'll give them a flat brush-over. Thanks again, Cris.

Fantastic! Currently I am building the same kit.  Mine was second had and I am missing a few parts but doing my best.  I really like the subtle changes in colour you achieved on your float and the finish on the airplane is remarkably smooth. Well done. :) 

• Thanks 1