Supple sounds of dinner bells - Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Mosquito B.XI - Finished

AliGauld

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work Alistair,  looking good, crikey you'll have this done by the end of the week!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I doubt it'll be done any time soon there's a lot of precise masking to be done. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

Fabulous work on this. All that detailing and your painting makes it look like an altogether bigger scale. Looking forward to the colour scheme too!

On a point of order:

On 14/09/2022 at 20:47, Dr. Quack said:

I remember building the old tool Mossie as a nipper

And

On 14/09/2022 at 22:03, AliGauld said:

I remember the old Mossie

Do you guys mean the old (1972) Mossie or the old-old (1957) Mossie? I built the old-old one as a nipper and it took me another 50 years before I could face another one. It just don’t look right, and had weird super-thin button wheels too. Airfix have definitely improved over the years!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Fabulous work on this. All that detailing and your painting makes it look like an altogether bigger scale. Looking forward to the colour scheme too!

On a point of order:

And

Do you guys mean the old (1972) Mossie or the old-old (1957) Mossie? I built the old-old one as a nipper and it took me another 50 years before I could face another one. It just don’t look right, and had weird super-thin button wheels too. Airfix have definitely improved over the years!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Aidrian,

I don't know which Airfix Mossie I had as the only real memory of it was that the pilot sat on a bar of plastic which jutted out from the side of the cockpit and that was the only detailing in it.

Of course it was a long time ago now and "The Memory Cheats" :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

I built the second nacelle yesterday and applied some Dissolved Putty on the various seams that i thought required it.

This afternoon, when I surfaced, there was some light sanding and some gluing.

VTs9nSM.jpg

QaSfjVh.jpg

RWSPxjL.jpg

bnzYTpt.jpg

There is a little work required around the nose of the nacelle and I may get to that tomorrow, but I finish the night shift tomorrow morning and will be heading into Edinburgh for Scale Scotland.

So, there may or may not be an update if I can summon the energy to mask up the clear pieces.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

Shaping up to be another masterpiece Alistair, Tempted to get my own copy out of the stash after seeing this, though my workbench is already piled up with half-finished projects.

49 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I finish the night shift tomorrow morning and will be heading into Edinburgh for Scale Scotland.

I'll look for the man leaning up against the wall and snoring gently.

Craig.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Shaping up to be another masterpiece Alistair, Tempted to get my own copy out of the stash after seeing this, though my workbench is already piled up with half-finished projects.

I'll look for the man leaning up against the wall and snoring gently.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

You'll not be far out with that.

Cheers,

Alistair

Great progress Alistair,  looking good and now very Mossie like.  I used together up and straight onto the modelling when doing nights and heading to various VW shows from Nights too.  

Have a great time at the show Alistair and looking forward to seeing the goodies you return with.

Great work on the Mossie.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2022 at 18:29, bigbadbadge said:

Great progress Alistair,  looking good and now very Mossie like.  I used together up and straight onto the modelling when doing nights and heading to various VW shows from Nights too.  

Have a great time at the show Alistair and looking forward to seeing the goodies you return with.

Great work on the Mossie.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

The show was great.

21 hours ago, mark.au said:

Coming along nicely Alistair.  Just look at that shape, it’s such a beautiful airplane.  

Thanks Mark,

You are spot on. The Mossie has such beautiful lines.

21 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

This looks like a really nice kit in 1/72 scale. Enjoying the build photos, and rapid progress👍

Thanks very much.

I got back from Edinburgh and tried to go for a nap but, well, that wasn't working. So.

WQx55tv.jpg

RBOMyxn.jpg

YI1ugPJ.jpg

Gp1vnUl.jpg

I'll get the nacelle seams treated with Dissolved Putty tonight and get them sanded back tomorrow.

It just might be time for some paint.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Alistair,  great progress. 

Any decent goodies  from the show?

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I had a successful day and got everything I was looking for.

f1mmotZ.jpg

55c3PcM.jpg

tbk2CSc.jpg

x1ZlzDo.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That last one's a funny looking aircraft. Unlike your mosquito which is looking gorgeous.

Craig.

Thanks Craig.

It was a Top Secret experimental prototype designed in the later war years that came to nothing.

I likes me a bit of whiffery.:D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2