Airfix 1/72 TSR-2. Landing Gear? Scale Aircraft Conversions White Metal Set.

Johnson

Hi Folks,

I've taken the plunge and added the original Airfix kit to my stash. It's still in it's sealed cellophane wrap and I'm resisting the temptation to rip the box open until I'm ready to start. A beautiful plane that's been on my list of must builds for some time.

What I'm undecided about is whether to also take the plunge and order the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal TSR.2 Landing Gear.

I'm reading Bill's @Navy Bird excellent WIP and I think they might be a useful addition. His build is just amazing and I'll be referring to it a lot.

Any tips and advice most appreciated (possibly not by Mrs. J though...:mellow:)

Cheers,

Scale Aircraft Productions’ items are well-made, but in most cases are merely copies of the kit parts.  I’m not aware of any differences in this case., so I don’t know if they would offer any advantages.

• Thanks 1

As said above, they are 'mostly' straight copies of the kit parts. Still, there are sets which feature improved details or correct errors (e.g. feature compressed struts vs. uncompressed kit parts) but there is no list which sets provide corrections or not. 

The most annoying feature is the material choice as the White metal is often softer than the plastic parts, therefore I see no advantage using them. Considering their softness I really don't buy the argument they provide a stronger alternative for heavier kits. And except for some full resin kits I've never come across a kit where this was necessary, certainly not in 1/72. In contrast, you have to clean up the SAC parts and maybe straighten them before use (I've seen parts already bent while still packed). 

In short, a waste of money in my opinion and an example of aftermarket parts which are done just because. Their only worth may be if you loose a part or want to upgrade an older kit. Else, better spend your money otherwise. 

Cheers

Markus

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Scale Aircraft Productions’ items are well-made, but in most cases are merely copies of the kit parts.  I’m not aware of any differences in this case., so I don’t know if they would offer any advantages.

4 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

better spend your money otherwise. 

Many thanks for your advice Michael and Markus. The CMK interior and undercarriage sets would be a better investment I think.

Best wishes,

• Like 1

The only problem with the kit undercarriage is down to the design of the original aircraft. I have built the kit and it is alright, but mine has suffered a breakage in storage. It just needs a bit of brass rod to strengthen the joint between the leg and the bogie to repair it. 

• Like 1

I'd avoid SAC white metal gears. In my experience they have always been direct copies of the kit parts (and in the case of the F-86F set in 1/48), replicate the errors on the gear they are supposed to replace! They also don't seem to add any required strength and so I'd save your money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe I modified the kit landing gear to get the correct splay angle. I bought the SAC white metal gear, but as others have said the metal was soft and mine was bent in the package. I didn't use them - probably still have them in the Magic Box of Leftover Nonsense.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

replicate the errors on the gear they are supposed to replace! They also don't seem to add any required strength

Hi , there are pro’s and con’s to SAC white metal under carriage, but mostly con’s, if there’s nowt wrong with the originals then there’s no need to  spend extra cash, apart from one or two instances SAC made sets that added weight to the nose, then there’s the glueing of the legs in place. BIG PROBLEM, bonding metal to plastic, it’s a problem long term, use super glue and things may crack and give up, using Araldite, use too much and it will be visible.  Finally, if SAC made corrections then I’d be happy to recommend them, but their  more of a hindrance . The only reason to use these if you’ve broken the originals or if you’ve added stacks of resin details and the pounds have piled on……..😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

The only problem with the kit undercarriage is down to the design of the original aircraft. I have built the kit and it is alright, but mine has suffered a breakage in storage. It just needs a bit of brass rod to strengthen the joint between the leg and the bogie to repair it. 

Thanks Mr T!

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

They also don't seem to add any required strength and so I'd save your money.

Cheers Sabrejet, and it's quite a bit of money!

58 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I believe I modified the kit landing gear to get the correct splay angle

I loved your angle checker Bill (I may borrow the idea if that's OK). I can cope with modifying plastic!

41 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

if there’s nowt wrong with the originals then there’s no need to  spend extra cash

Not sure about the originals Amos, still all sealed up. I'm assuming they're OK. And I've just spent the extra cash on the CMK resin interior which does look good.

Thanks everyone for the guidance, I'm really glad I asked!

I'm getting this dreadful urge to open the package. But with 3 builds in various states of completion on the bench I think I should wait. A bit more exciting, like Christmas when I was a kid.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Postscript.

I'm reading Bill's TSR-2 WIP* in slowtime, and had I actually reached pages 6-7, I probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. :blush:

Bill's description of the SAC parts, direct copies of the kit parts (isn't there a copyright issue here SAC?) makes it perfectly clear that the white metal replacements are a complete waste of time and money.

Cheers,

* Essential reading I reckon for anyone embarking on the Airfix 1/72 TSR-2

• Like 2

I am late to the party and guess everything has been said already, but I can echo what the others have said - I have one set which came with a started (original) Airfix Vulcan. From what is visible through the unopened blister, straight recasts of the Airfix parts, and yet bent. Straightening them would likely impair their strength.

• Like 1