Dangerous machines, death traps, disasters and design flaws - 33 and still counting.

Marklo

• Marklo changed the title to Dangerous machines, death traps, disasters and design flaws - possibly for 2024

Title changed. Actually I’d love to include U1206 ( which I now can :) ) late in the war the sub was equipped with a new toilet design. The captain Adolf Schlitt, used said same new head but couldn’t figure out how to flush it properly he called on the engineering team to help who opened the wrong valve flooding the head, the sub ended up sinking as a result……

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I would be interested in this. Was planning a French Schneider CA Tank for the proposed “The stuff you wouldn't want to go to war in” GB. It still sitting in the stash.

Wiki has the following to say about the Schneider.

“The vehicle was considered a very imperfect design, because of a poor layout, insufficient fire-power, a cramped interior and inferior mobility due to an overhanging nose section, which had been designed to crush through the belts of barbed wire but in practice caused the tank to get stuck.

The first combat actions showed that the fuel reservoirs were prone to explode when the vehicle was hit by an artillery round. To remedy this the reservoirs were replaced by fuel tanks with a double wall, using a felt filler layer to absorb gasoline leakages. Furthermore, these fuel tanks, each containing 80 L (21 US gal), were moved to a safer position under armour though still outside the hull, in vertical rectangular steel boxes to the left and right of the rear door.”

The earlier post about the K class submarine also reminds me I have one of them in the stash as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

For example- the Fairey Battle was basically a sound aircraft but was obsolete by 1940 and mis-used in action and is now widely regarded as a ‘death trap’.

Also are ‘things associated with mass loss of life through no design fault’ in or out? (I’m thinking Titanic, Andrea Doria, or possibly DC10’s).

Likewise the early 737 MAX-8; a lethal "fix" that was kept hidden for an anticipated problem resulting from a significant design change. 

The early dH/HS Trident might also be a contender due to the lack of a speed baulk and flaps interconnection on the droops retraction selection as proved by the crew of G-ARPI in June 1972.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jb65rams said:

Was planning a French Schneider CA Tank for the proposed “The stuff you wouldn't want to go to war in” GB. It still sitting in the stash.

A perfect example of flawed design. So poor the Germans didn’t even bother to capture them instead preferring British Heavies.

27 minutes ago, John Masters said:

The Polikarpov I-16, while successful in many ways, was dangerous to fly and land.  Also the GeeBee racer…

Like a lot of dangerous racer types, the Bristol racer, the Me209 I reckon that they were basically the most powerful engine available strapped on to the smallest airframe and wings that could still fly.

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

shall I add you in too?

I'd love to come out to play. But I have an awful lack of free time, with a pile of stuff that I want to do that keeps mounting up.

I've just had a week off work, and have managed about an hour or so of modelling time. 

Plus winter is coming, it gets cold out in the manshed. Sorry. I'll watch from a safe distance though.

I can offer the Albemarle, Botha and DH 100 Swallow to the Aircraft list if it helps.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, Marklo said:

Funnily enough i do like the term widow makers as it’s quite direct even stark but I’m also thinking that a GB based around  flawed concepts, dangerous machines and equipment with a bad rep would work better, but dangerous not just bad eg the Austin Princess although arguably the worst  car ever mass produced wouldn’t qualify  but the pinto would.

So just come up with a catchier title and I’m game :) 

'Death by Design' ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Might be a bit confusing as, if you think of it most of the subjects are designed for that purpose, just not to kill the owner/occupants.

Fair point. I cribbed it from a title on my bookshelf. A highly critical study of British tank design in WW2! 

• Like 1

Gidday, since we're discussing the title again I liked the original - "Widow Makers". It was short, sharp and straight to the point. But ultimately it's about the models themselves and I'll go with whatever's chosen. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, stever219 said:

Damn!  That means I'm going to have to work out how to post images on here. (I know there's a "how to" thread but it might as well be written in Outer Alpha Centaurean for all the sense I can make of it )

TL;DR version of what I did:

Create a Blogger account (free, run by Google)

Post photos there

Link to photos here

Here's a link to my blog

https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/4346005353459565881

Happy to describe further via message if you're interested.