Falklands Phantom phinished- Hasegawa 1/48th

Mark V

Here is my just-completed Hasegawa 1/48th Phantom FGR.2 (F-4M).  My Work in Progress build thread is here: Falklands Phantom 1/48 Hasegawa - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Falklands Phantom 1/48 Hasegawa (britmodeller.com)

The items added to the kit were the Aires FGR.2 cockpit and Aires wheels.  I don't remember where the AIM-9Ls came from.  The chaff and flare dispensers on the inboard pylons are from the True Details USAF F-4 Pylons set.  I had some interference with the forward flare dispenser adapter and the AIM-9 rear fin.  I had to trim both parts and slide the AIM-9s slightly forward to get them to fit.

One thing that I didn't expect was that the kit canopy actuator pistons would not fit with the Aires cockpit.  The rear actuator fit in but was too short to actually touch the canopy.  I could not even get the forward canopy actuator in between the seat back and the center canopy section.  I just left it off.  That's something I'll have to look at for later builds when I use the Aires cockpits.  (I have an E and G model Aires cockpit that I plan on using.)

I tried to show a well-used jet, suitably dirtied up.  I left the SUU-23 gun pod fairly clean since I thought the armourers might keep them stored in a relatively clean area.  

DSC_1075

DSC_1074

DSC_1069

DSC_1072

I used a thin lead mechanical pencil to make random scuff marks on the fuselage sides to represent boot marks from the techs working on the jet.  Just a few random swipes.  

I also showed some wear on the left intake and canopy rails showing the yellow-green primer peeking through.  

DSC_1071

DSC_1077

DSC_1078

Questions and comments are welcome.  Thank you for following along.

• Like 73
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why I can't link threads on this forum.  It's supposed to be easy but too much for me.  If anyone else can do it, I would appreciate it.  Well, maybe someone else looking at this later will appreciate it.

The  Phantom is outstanding. What a realistic paint job!

Linking a thread the easy way consists of going to your WIP thread first page and copying the url from the top of the browser page. Then you just past that into your post on the RFI. There are other ways but that is the easiest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

The  Phantom is outstanding. What a realistic paint job!

Linking a thread the easy way consists of going to your WIP thread first page and copying the url from the top of the browser page. Then you just past that into your post on the RFI. There are other ways but that is the easiest.

That is what I tried to do. No idea what I did wrong. General dumbassery I guess. I’ll try again on my next model. John took care of this one for me. 👍

On 9/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Lovely build, great job.

You call that dirty..................that is actually super clean for a Falklands Phantom. 🤣🤣

It’s a trick of the light.  It looks a lot dirtier in real life. I’m not a very good photographer, relying on the automatic features of the camera. I used the flash too, so that washed out some of the contrast I think. I have limited editing capabilities with the standard Microsoft photo app, or whatever it’s called. Yes, I know, excuses, excuses. 

Actually, there is a new thread on Hyperscale about this exact thing. Another guy was asking about why his photos don’t show the weathering very well. There were a few replies earlier that I will consider for my own photos. 

Thanks everyone for the comments. 

• Like 1

I definitely am not a jet person. But, there is something about Phantoms that appeals. Its got that look about it that says you wouldn't want it in your rear view.

Beautiful job by the way. Most impressive.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Great colour scheme, lovely execution 👍

I also see your dedication to include all the stencils. And there are a lot of stencils 😂

I've a feeling it took quite a lot of energy to see this model to the winning post?

Thank you.  Not a lot of energy really.  Just the usual amount of patience.  Occasionally I have to walk away and let the glue or paint dry.  You know, just stop messing with it and take a break.  There are quite a few stencils that I'm not sure really add that much.  I like having them, but in this case they are (in my opinion) too big and too bright.  The Revell kit stencils used are better than the off-white Hasegawa kit decals, but still...not quite right.

• Like 1