Six essential modelling tools?

John Tapsell

I'm posting this question a number of forums so my apologies in advance if you have seen it elsewhere. I want to get a broad overview of what our community thinks and whilst there is an overlap in membership across different forums, there are many modellers who stick to one modelling forum.

If you had to reduce your modelling toolbox to just six 'essential' construction (not painting) tools, what would they be?

My pick would be:
-craft knife (my weapon of choice is a Swann Morton No.3 handle with a 10A blade)
-needle nose tweezers
-Metal ruler
-sprue nippers
-pin vice with a selection of drill bits
-sanding stick (I started using glass/crystal sanding files recently)

Your responses much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Sprue snippers are a great tool but not really necessary if you have a craft knife with a selection of blades, so not in a "starter set".  

I would (do) prefer files and a sheet of wet-and-dry rather than relying only on sanding sticks, because of the need to sand down larger pieces (wing interiors to avoid thick trailing edges, fuselage halves).  This may be even more the case for larger scales.  You might prefer sanding sticks instead of files, but a large sanding surface is still beneficial.

A metal rule and a pin vice are vital for scratch-building and super-detailing, but not all modellers are concerned about these. Those who do are not going to be limited by a small number of tools.   I would suggest that something more fundamental is a tool that holds parts together whilst drying - from traditionally wooden clothes pegs to small vices (not in a minimum set of stools), but masking tape is useful for larger parts.

I prefer a flat-nosed tweezer to a needle-nosed one, but feel any established modeller would have a stock of different types, probably spare craft knifes, 

File rather than a sanding stick, if only one the Vallorbe 1/2 round No2 cut needle file. Better than the sticks for rounded surfaces.

Ditch the ruler and or the sprue nippers as a decent razor saw is an essential for me.

Round nose rather than needle nose tweezers, a better compromise for differing tasks.

Just looking at my bench now, I would add from my most commonly used tools -

- fine saw blades (I'd take these instead of sprue snippers if forced)

- a scribing tool

- a good quality fine, flat file (I wouldn't count sanding sticks or sheets as a 'tool' as there are consumables - ditto cocktail sticks and cotton swabs)

Cheers

Colin

You pretty much nailed it for me John. As I read your list, I just kept nodding in agreement. All I would say is if I could have something as first reserve, it would be the flat jawed pliers which I use a lot for bending etch and snapping scored lines in card.

John.

I am going to give two full answers;

1) What do I need to build the most basic plastic kit?

Something to detach part from sprue - sprue cutters

Cleaning up - set of needle files

Smoothing joints- sanding stick or just wet & dry

Although liquid glue usually comes in a bottle with a brush I will include a brush to apply glue

Something to project my workbench

2) As someone who spends time with card / plasticard.

Heavy duty knife (Stanley Blade type)

Scalpel knife

Needle files

Straight edge with finger protector

Cutting sheet

brush to apply glue

However, times are changing, and I might now amend that second list to include a Cricut silhouette cutter, a scanner, PC and software.  In the future a 3D printer might be an essential tool for me.

Lastly on a light note, a torch to locate parts that have flown off has been essential and in the future could we please have an AI driven tool that can work out the route such items have taken and automatically retrieve them from the carpet monster (although we opted for stone floors when we refurbished our house, so the carpet monster is a thing over found in the past).

Decent cutters like the aformentioned Xuron. Dspiae are even better but not cheap.

A scalpel, for safety reasons I prefer ones with retractable blades.

A set of tweezers of various types, flat, angled and needle nosed are the ones I tend to use most, in that order.

A set of sanding sticks of various grits.

A large cutting mat, at least A2 if your desk is big enough

A good quality daylight lamp..

Edited by -Ian-

My top tool would be Britmodeller.  There's no better place to chat to other modelling muppets, get information, inspiration and feedback.  It turns a solitary hobby into something much more gregarious and fun.  I'm not saying that as Mr Britmodeller, I'm saying it as Mike.

I have spoken ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned a paint brush. At least 3 of my 6 would be brushes.

Probably because in his original post, John said to discount painting equipment.

John.

• Thanks 1

From 1967, when I started building models, up to the early 80's, when I could afford and had access to more items, this was my basic toolset.

42373714211_da11a776de_b.jpg

It has expanded greatly since that time!

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

From 1967, when I started building models, up to the early 80's, when I could afford and had access to more items, this was my basic toolset.

42373714211_da11a776de_b.jpg

It has expanded greatly since that time!

Chris

I'm with ya all the way on that one. When I had to pack it all in and donated it all to the Veterans Club I have contact with, It all filled three very large packing boxes. And that was without the kits. Many drawers, flat filing folders etc. etc. Geez, one set of drawers was just full of paintbrushes alone.

So choosing six is about nearly impossible. 

A couple that haven't been mentioned though, would be:

Elastic bands

Toilet roll (for cleaning up all the spills)

A HUMUNGOUS box of band aids

A pre-programmed phone for the nearest Accident and Emergency Department

A large pot of Super Glue Remover

A secure spot for a cold can of whatever whets ya whistle

Music. Lots of it. Many, many different types, for differing moods.

Regards, and have a safe day (say a quick prayer to appease the blood gods)

Pete

Edited by Pete Robin
Added a line
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scalpel with 10 and 10A blades

Four Way Nail Buffer (available from Boots, Superdrug etc)

Fine nose tweezers

Pin vice with dressmaking pin - used for everything from re-scribing to applying superglue

Cutting mat

Cat treats for diverting feline curiosity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought I would have a bit of fun with this and laid out what I call my "A" Tools. Those are the ones I have at hand all the times and get regular use. Then select 6.

A Tools

Good lighting and some form of magnifying glasses are mandatory so I had to throw in my bespoke magnifiers as item 1. Then:

2. Olfa knife 

3. Small flat file (just so happens that I sharpened the end of that Tamiya file with a chisel point)

4. Needle-nose tweezers

5. Pin vice (with drills and a needle) 

6. Sprue cutters.

Hard choice on the hobby knife. I went with the Olfa as it is more robust. Reality is my Swann-Morton scalpels get more use.

Hopefully you will allow me some fine wet/dry sanding papers. I make my own sanding sticks (maybe that's a cheat)

Ray

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was on holiday in Thailand and visited a Tamiya shop and ended up buying a model kit, I also picked up a few tamiya tools however nothing for sanding.

I wanted to make a start on the kit before I came home so I visited a few boots style chemists to try an pick up some emery boards, and after a few tries I was told they dont sell emery boards in Thailand. So I ended up buying a cheap like 40p metal nail file. Anyway long story short I use this metal nail file all the time now for cleaning up sprue connection

points and it does the job pretty well and it has lasted way longer than an emery board type sanding stick would.

It is something like this https://www.boots.com/boots-sapphire-nail-file-10278869?

Expanding on the above below is probably what I use the most.

1667781100948465-0.png

Craft Knives, I really like the Tamiya ones they have shorter blades also a craft knife with the tightening bolt at the top stops it working loose.

Nail file as described above.

A pair of Xuron side cutters.

The tweezers I use the most, I really like the army painter ones.

That pin vise is actually holding a sewing needle inverted so the end can be used to apply super glue.

Wooden things come in very hand for painting, those skewers are great for stirring paint as well as painting supports

PCB drill bits, these are great especially for under 1mm holes

A razor saw not so easy to get in the uk but fantastic when you need one.

Sorry more than 6

Edited by sardaukar
expanded
  • Like 1

Now, just for poops and giggles, I laid out all the tools that I have at hand on my table. I don't always use all of them all the time, but they are near at hand. 

Remember, this is a 30+ year collection.

52489662050_f4a0dfbeb0_b.jpg

I may be somewhat OCD and anal-retentive ( or, as Mrs. Db calls me, an a$$h@le! ).

Chris

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What about tools like this:

Federal%20Standard%20595C%20Color%20Fan_

or British Standard or RAL, Pantone, Munsell or many many others... Yes even old good Methuen Handbook of Colour. Not to mention good publications. They are tools too!

I also have a couple of spectrophotometers and gloss meters.

Here are my tools used on every model I build

1. Pin vise and #61-#80 drils
  2. JLC razor saw and mitre box
  3. Swiss pattern needle file, 4-cut crossing
  4. Swiss pattern needle file, 4-cut equalling
  5. #7 tweezers
  6. CA glue applicator
  7. Chisel
  8. Dividers
  9. Knife
  10. Flush cutters
  11. Sixinchrool
  12. Small tray
  13. Cutting mat

Freq-Used-Tools.jpg

I have many other tools that I've collected over the years, but they aren't used on every model. 

• Like 2