A rather depressing picture. We still had gasometers in the North East well in to the 90s, my office was next to one that rather alarmingly, we were told was a possible target for the IRA. 

• Like 1

Basic painting completed.  Rings done in Tamiya white XF-1 with a drop or so of black XF-2 to give a very light grey appearance.   Tamiya red XF-7 with a few drops of hull red XF-9 used for the under construction sections.   Next task is to do some basic detailing to the hub docking bays and figure out how to pick out the many windows on the main ring structure.  Thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome.

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Looking good. I like the extra detail.

For the windows, I glossed up the surface and then used the black panel-liner product from LifeColor, part of their Liquid Pigment range. It pools very nicely in grooves and hollows. It was just a matter of keeping the bottle well-shaken (it separates readily) and touching each window in turn with a loaded paintbrush---the pigment conformed itself neatly to each rectangular depression. They also make a remover product, so you can rub off any overflows with a cotton bud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into the Lifecolour.  Ideally I want to have the windows done in white with perhaps a hint of pale yellow.  As you mentioned, whatever I use needs to pool easily into the window openings.  I might experiment with some water colour artist pencils I have used previously.  They are very forgiving, clean up easily and don't react with a clear coat.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeddahbill said:

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into the Lifecolour.  Ideally I want to have the windows done in white with perhaps a hint of pale yellow.  As you mentioned, whatever I use needs to pool easily into the window openings.  I might experiment with some water colour artist pencils I have used previously.  They are very forgiving, clean up easily and don't react with a clear coat.

LifeColor have a product called "Landing Gear Dust" in the same range as their panel liner, and it's a yellow-white shade. I use it to highlight tyre treads usually, but deployed it for panel lines and general weathering on my black Special Duties Lysander. It may not be opaque enough for your needs, though.

I recall bringing home a little pot of fluorescent white paint from my local hobby shop, when I was detailing Space Station V, in the hope I could "light up" some windows that way---but it was way too thick, and I never managed to come up with a workable thinning solution. Hence the black windows in my model.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 2:53 AM, Hunter Rose said:

Wow great job with the docking bay, looks great👍

On 10/20/2022 at 4:09 AM, Hamiltonian said:

Very nice, It'll look great once the lights are on.

Thanks for the comments!  Working on applying a very subtle wash to bring out the surface details and then onto the windows.  I might try a 0.7mm Uni Posca white acrylic marker.  It seems to be very opaque white and I think it will have small enough tip.  Maybe go get one tomorrow.

Bill

Almost finished!   Thin wash applied to bring out the surface details.  Perhaps a bit heavy in a few spots.  More importantly, finally managed to get the windows completed.  After some experimentation I used a extra fine tip acrylic paint pen for the windows.  The tip was just small enough and the paint flowed very nicely into the window openings from the tip.  A few problems, but the paint cleaned up easily when still wet.  

In the film there a few windows that are dark on the main rim, but I painted them all bright white.  On the rim under construction, I painted a few windows bright white and the remainder black.  The film shows all windows dark in the section.  Also, the film has one rim section at the end of a spoke painted all red, I painted all four very light grey. 

Both rim sections finally sealed in clear flat to protect the finish and help blend everything together.  Ready to join the two rim sections once the wiring has been run through the inner channels I drilled previously.

Thanks for having a look!

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9