1:48 KittyHawk Jas-39A/C Gripen (what if scheme)

52347636280_a6ace9921f.jpg

Many moons ago, in the late 80's, the company I worked for, a subsidiary of General Dynamics, sent me to BAe Warton to train some folks on some software that we'd sold them, this was in the later stages of the Eurofighter development. Whilst I was at Warton the chaps I was "helping" were working on one of the computer systems that that they'd shoehorned into the Gripen, so as I've a very tenuous link to the aircraft and I wanted to build a non-WWII subject for a change and had this in my stash I thought it would be a reasonable choice for my next build.

Aslo as an aside I think she looks a beautiful aircraft, quite futuristic and something that Gerry Anderson would have been happy to include in either Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet.

I’ll be bothering the Kitty Hawk 1:48 kit.

52347572484_8ea1f15d53.jpg

The kit offers 4 schemes, all basically grey on grey…

Hungarian Air Force

52347681875_c97cbf3ae4_z.jpg

South Africa Air Force

52347681865_d0e33902c4_z.jpg

Czech Air Force

52347572579_95ba253cc4_z.jpg

Swedish Air Force

52346303937_01e8c5fed9_z.jpg

Decals

52347321076_4bc3a6c871.jpg

52346368027_2fbbbefe93.jpg

I’m tempted by the Czech “tiger” version however I think I’ll go with the Swedish one as it’s a, largely, Swedish design.

The kit includes several different weapons…

52347572499_0817b5fe10_z.jpg

…I’ll decide later on in the build on what the load-out will be.

As she's a grey on grey scheme and, Sod's Law, I don't have them in my preferred MRP paints and everywhere is "out of stock", Sods Law again!, I’ll be using some “new”, well new to me, paints for this build AK real colours…

52347572489_cda5079c6e_z.jpg

I have a Master Model pitot, the kit version looks oversize to me?, as the kit also includes PE harness’s and other details, antenna and so on, I don’t think I’ll be getting other aftermarket with the possible exception of a boarding ladder?, the kit’s exhaust nozzle and wheels look very nice so no need for resin replacements.

As with most aircraft firstly I’ll be starting with the cockpit.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

Edited by shortCummins
  • Like 10

This should be another interesting build, John :) I'm going to be intrigued to see what you make of the AK paints, I’ve got a few myself to use on a couple of the builds I’m doing.

James

• Like 1

Really nice to see! As Daniel points out, this is a challenging build, I have not dared to start mine yet... One thing to remember is that the Swedish decal option is wrong, these decals are for a JAS 39A, not a C ("39A" is actually written on the fin...). In fact it is the first JAS 39A ever built after the prototypes.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

This should be another interesting build, John :) I'm going to be intrigued to see what you make of the AK paints, I’ve got a few myself to use on a couple of the builds I’m doing.

James

thanks James

in truth I would have preferred MRP paint but I couldn't get them, at least not from the UK and postage was just silly from elsewhere, I'm hoping they'll be OK as its always nice to have alternatives

6 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Not my favorite scale but one of my favorite topics, I'm following. I´am curious how the kit will go together, hears not the best about it.

Daniel

thanks Daniel

from what I've read there's plenty of filler in my future? we'll see but she's a fine looking aircraft and I hope I can do her justice?

3 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Really nice to see! As Daniel points out, this is a challenging build, I have not dared to start mine yet... One thing to remember is that the Swedish decal option is wrong, these decals are for a JAS 39A, not a C ("39A" is actually written on the fin...). In fact it is the first JAS 39A ever built after the prototypes.

thanks Bjorn

that's a shame, I think I can live with that minor(?) detail being incorrect as I'd really like to show her in Swedish colours as I think it would be most fitting.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Cool kit John, this one is definitely on my list (my list is like a stash but virtual), I was tossing up between Eurofighter, Rafael or Gripen and this kit kept coming out on top in my mind so look forward to following the build.

Cheers

JJ

• Like 1

Ah yes the Kittyhawk  Gripen, I’ve had one for several years and it does indeed look like a challenging build ( well it is by Kittyhawk ), being somewhat over-engineered. I’ve taken mine out of the box, looked at it, and put it back in the box several times. It does come with a goodly amount of stores though.

Good luck.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shortCummins said:

that's a shame, I think I can live with that minor(?) detail being incorrect as I'd really like to show her in Swedish colours as I think it would be most fitting.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

If it is a minor detail, if course depends on one's degree of being a rivet-counter. 🙂 However, the A and C versions are quite different in a number of details.

However, there are aftermarket decals that might help: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HUN48209?result-token=Op3Eg.

Note that the three-digit fin number on Swedish JAS 39A started with a "1", on JAS 39C it started with a "2".

Edited by Bjorn

4 hours ago, JJ2016 said:

Cool kit John, this one is definitely on my list (my list is like a stash but virtual), I was tossing up between Eurofighter, Rafael or Gripen and this kit kept coming out on top in my mind so look forward to following the build.

Cheers

JJ

thanks JJ

I quite fancy a Eurofighter myself, I'd attempt this scheme...

52350912002_c7287f4b40_w.jpg

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Ah yes the Kittyhawk  Gripen, I’ve had one for several years and it does indeed look like a challenging build ( well it is by Kittyhawk ), being somewhat over-engineered. I’ve taken mine out of the box, looked at it, and put it back in the box several times. It does come with a goodly amount of stores though.

Good luck.

John. 🇺🇦

thanks John

it surprised me the amount of plastic crammed into the box, my major concern if the building separate front and rear halves, I realise they made the kit this way so that a D version could also use the rear but I'm not convinced, I may well join the front and rear halves and treat them as "normal" type of model?

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

If it is a minor detail, if course depends on one's degree of being a rivet-counter. 🙂 However, the A and C versions are quite different in a number of details.

However, there are aftermarket decals that might help: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HUN48209?result-token=Op3Eg.

Note that the three-digit fin number on Swedish JAS 39A started with a "1", on JAS 39C it started with a "2".

thanks Bjorn

I'm interested in what the differences are between the A and C versions, the kit suggests that you can build either an A or C version? but doesn't specify any specific parts for either, only the decals?

I think I may have found an alternative scheme, I need to do a little research as I'm not convinced its "real" however I may settle on a "what if" scheme, I really want to represent a Swedish aircraft although the Czech "tiger" version is very tempting.

many thanks

John(shortCummins)

52347256646_ab3a166706.jpg

Following Bjorn’s information of the incorrect decals, much appreciated Bjorn 👍, yesterday I came across these…

52349937749_a20c78e997_c.jpg

52349937739_4f4d0318cd_c.jpg

52349619976_44fb38a05d_c.jpg

It’s my understanding that this scheme was a special “last flight” one to honour the retirement of the A/B versions?, or it’s been “photoshopped”!, either way being a sucker for “different” schemes I’m going to have a go at this one, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb?

I’ll be using NATO black and RAF extra dark sea grey over RAF medium sea grey for the “splinters”, luckily I have these colours so (for once) I don’t have to order any more paint

52350046775_b6e80c8028_z.jpg

The underside looks to be a lighter colour than the light aircraft grey but that could be an optical illusion?

So back to the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 4

John,

The splinter camo Gripen is in fact the new E-version (former Gripen NG)  and it is vastly different from the A/C-models, including a totally revised landing gear and a longer fuselage. Comparing it to the A/C will be like comparing a legacy Hornet to a Super Hornet.

https://www.saab.com/products/air/fighter-systems

Edited by Phantom726
Link added
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phantom726 said:

John,

The splinter camo Gripen is in fact the new E-version (former Gripen NG)  and it is vastly different from the A/C-models, including a totally revised landing gear and a longer fuselage. Comparing it to the A/C will be like comparing a legacy Hornet to a Super Hornet.

https://www.saab.com/products/air/fighter-systems

thanks Phantom726

while I appreciate that it's a different "mark" I'll be making mine a "what if" scheme 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shortCummins said:

52347636280_a6ace9921f.jpg

Many moons ago, in the late 80's, the company I worked for, a subsidiary of General Dynamics, sent me to BAe Warton to train some folks on some software that we'd sold them, this was in the later stages of the Eurofighter development. Whilst I was at Warton the chaps I was "helping" were working on one of the computer systems that that they'd shoehorned into the Gripen, so as I've a very tenuous link to the aircraft and I wanted to build a non-WWII subject for a change and had this in my stash I thought it would be a reasonable choice for my next build.

Aslo as an aside I think she looks a beautiful aircraft, quite futuristic and something that Gerry Anderson would have been happy to include in either Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet.

I’ll be bothering the Kitty Hawk 1:48 kit.

52347572484_8ea1f15d53.jpg

The kit offers 4 schemes, all basically grey on grey…

Hungarian Air Force

52347681875_c97cbf3ae4_z.jpg

South Africa Air Force

52347681865_d0e33902c4_z.jpg

Czech Air Force

52347572579_95ba253cc4_z.jpg

Swedish Air Force

52346303937_01e8c5fed9_z.jpg

Decals

52347321076_4bc3a6c871.jpg

52346368027_2fbbbefe93.jpg

I’m tempted by the Czech “tiger” version however I think I’ll go with the Swedish one as it’s a, largely, Swedish design.

The kit includes several different weapons…

52347572499_0817b5fe10_z.jpg

…I’ll decide later on in the build on what the load-out will be.

As she's a grey on grey scheme and, Sod's Law, I don't have them in my preferred MRP paints and everywhere is "out of stock", Sods Law again!, I’ll be using some “new”, well new to me, paints for this build AK real colours…

52347572489_cda5079c6e_z.jpg

I have a Master Model pitot, the kit version looks oversize to me?, as the kit also includes PE harness’s and other details, antenna and so on, I don’t think I’ll be getting other aftermarket with the possible exception of a boarding ladder?, the kit’s exhaust nozzle and wheels look very nice so no need for resin replacements.

As with most aircraft firstly I’ll be starting with the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Did you try hmhobbies.co.uk for MRP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I really like the splinter scheme too, I wonder what it would take to convert it to an ‘E’.

John.  🇺🇦

About as much work as it would take to convert a 1/48 F/A-18C into an F/A-18E - in other words, jack up windscreen and fit new aeroplane! Like the F/A-18 comparison, the Gripen E is pretty much a new plane that just looks quite like the earlier Gripen versions - kind of like a Gripen C on steroids, maybe? The fuselage looks the same as on the earlier version but is actually slightly bigger to allow a new radar to be fitted, the main undercarriage is now housed in the wings rather than the fuselage (giving more internal fuel capacity), the engine is a (licence-built) GE F414 with more thrust than the Gripen C's GE F404 and the wings have two additional hard points for weaponry. The cockpit/avionics are all different too. Those would be the 'headline items' as far as I know, though I'm sure that there are others on here who know a lot more than I do. 

I'd love to see a kit of the Gripen E in 1/48, perhaps Kinetic might oblige - they seem to occasionally be on for some slightly 'out of left field' subjects?

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Did you try hmhobbies.co.uk for MRP?

thanks Stephen

I'd forgotten about them! I've added them to my paint shop list 👍

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I really like the splinter scheme too, I wonder what it would take to convert it to an ‘E’.

John.  🇺🇦

I've decided to do a "what if" version, as far as I know there isn't a 'E' kit available?

46 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I love that scheme as well, really dramatic. 

James

thanks James

it really caught my eye

39 minutes ago, hopkp said:

About as much work as it would take to convert a 1/48 F/A-18C into an F/A-18E - in other words, jack up windscreen and fit new aeroplane! Like the F/A-18 comparison, the Gripen E is pretty much a new plane that just looks quite like the earlier Gripen versions - kind of like a Gripen C on steroids, maybe? The fuselage looks the same as on the earlier version but is actually slightly bigger to allow a new radar to be fitted, the main undercarriage is now housed in the wings rather than the fuselage (giving more internal fuel capacity), the engine is a (licence-built) GE F414 with more thrust than the Gripen C's GE F404 and the wings have two additional hard points for weaponry. The cockpit/avionics are all different too. Those would be the 'headline items' as far as I know, though I'm sure that there are others on here who know a lot more than I do. 

I'd love to see a kit of the Gripen E in 1/48, perhaps Kinetic might oblige - they seem to occasionally be on for some slightly 'out of left field' subjects?

thanks hopkp

maybe if Kitty Hawk were still going they'd have released an 'E'? as I mentioned to John and Bjorn I'm not going to worry too much about the markings being accurate but I do want to portray a Swedish Gripen and I really do like this scheme.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

52348679892_a73c2cc28f.jpg

To start the build I first identified the cockpit parts and prepared them for some paint, the seat and other parts were assembled and had PE bent and glued in place before primer…

52351379887_7298081536_c.jpg

52351379877_eabe13a229_c.jpg

52352322721_764e30ed88_c.jpg

52352646029_8e5643e1d2_c.jpg

52352751995_71122e019e_c.jpg

Radio equipment?

52352646019_fe50d00faa_c.jpg

52352322686_1c35564884_c.jpg

During my last build I was coming to the end of my bottle of Stynylrez black primer so for a change and as I’d heard many good things about it I decided to try some Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 black. This was thinned 50/50 with some Mr Levelling Thinner and most of the pieces that I’ll need to paint before assembly…

52352927680_d3609a751d_c.jpg

52352741258_5cc5259043_c.jpg

52352741258_5cc5259043_c.jpg

The PE was also given a coat of primer.

52352741228_57b793b84d_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding colour detail to the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

• shortCummins changed the title to 1:48 KittyHawk Jas-39A/C Gripen (what if scheme)
45 minutes ago, 81-er said:

How did you find the Mr Surfacer vs Stynylrez?

in the little that I've done I must say that I'm quite impressed with Mr Surfacer.

I used a .6 needle, sprayed 30psi/2 bar (the same set up I use for Stynylrez) and got very similar results.

The big difference is that I thinned the Mr Surfacer, I use Stynylrez straight from the bottle, so the difference here is that you'll get "more" paint for your money using Mr Surfacer, both bottles were around the same price and I use Mr Levelling thinner for thinning other paints so "in effect" that's a minimal cost?

One thing I've noticed, or at least I think I have, is that Stynylrez dries (to the touch) quicker than Mr Surfacer, I would guess that both should really be left "over night" to fully cure?

Stynylrez dries to an "eggshell" type finish, not glossy but not matt, and I like that finish for things like propellor blades and IP combing, I'll have to wait until the morning to see how this lot dries?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

52352741353_c931a53943.jpg

Various parts for the cockpit were given a coat of MRP-077 NATO black.

52353993892_96a6b8865e_c.jpg

52355178618_7e7f5bcd02_c.jpg

52354939331_386220263b_c.jpg

52355257804_9923e90590_c.jpg

Tamiya XF-24 dark grey was dry-brushed onto the cockpit rear deck, radios(?) and forward coaming.

52355047696_5123a81a0e_c.jpg

52354102822_65228872e5_c.jpg

52354102837_a55e7dbfe2_c.jpg

52355483900_d31c51b056_c.jpg

mig-203 compass ghost grey was used to pick out the side panel instruments and main instrument panel.

52355811152_c0d3730a3f_c.jpg

52356759546_389df30f44_c.jpg

52355811132_c68b462fca_c.jpg

Next I’ll be concentrating on the seat.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 7