Bandit inbound, watch your six! - F-15C USAF Aggressor

Pappy

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day people,

Lots of family commitments this long weekend but still managed to squeeze some bench time in.

The wing seams are finally done

DSCN9195(1).JPG

The underside seams were very quick and easy to sort

DSCN9193(1).JPG

The upper seams were not especially difficult, it was just a matter of doing the work. I ended up using CA as a filler as it sands well if sanded soon after setting and does not shrink and can be easily scribed without cracking.

Now that my darker blue shade has arrived I sprayed the light blue tank

DSCN9186.JPG

To my eye this looks a little too grey and light, more like a blue-grey instead of the blue that I see in my reference pictures....

cheers,

Pappy

Looks good to me, do you have a blue to add to the blue-grey ? That might get the shade/tone you're looking for ? 

18 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looking seamless!

I see what you did there 😊

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks good to me, do you have a blue to add to the blue-grey ? That might get the shade/tone you're looking for ? 

G'day Dennis,

I have several blues I could use to mix and adjust but I was hoping for an out of the bottle solution. I am using FS35109 as suggested by the decal sheet but I am not feeling it,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

G'day people,

Well, now that most of the seam filling has been done I can get back to finishing the cockpit. I added a sun shield and scratch-built the gubbins on the LHS of the HUD as well as the HUD itself

DSCN9212.JPG

DSCN9211.JPG

I also added the oxy hose and mike cable on the RHS console that was made from two different gauges of speaker wire. In addition to the canopy locking mechanism in Bay 5

DSCN9209.JPG

thanks,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Pappy said:

I added a sun shield and scratch-built the gubbins on the LHS of the HUD as well as the HUD itself

Very nice gubbins etc Pappy. Necessary additions that I may also have to add.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:49 PM, Johnson said:

Very nice gubbins etc Pappy. Necessary additions that I may also have to add.

No pressure then....

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats an impressive HUD. What do you use for the reflector/projector underneath ? 

Thanks Dennis,

Several years back I was dragged by the other 'alf to a chain store called 'Spotlight'  which is a type of craft store, Michael's would be a US equivalent. Rather than being a chore I decided to go wandering. Since it was close to Chrissy so there were lots of decorations around. I came across this clear 'prismatic' tinsel stuff. I bought a few packets and just used my miniature punch set to punch an appropriate sized disc.

G'day people,

Since we are talking about HUDs,  here are some pics with the combiner lenses added

DSCN9218.JPG

and now with a scale reference!

DSCN9219.JPG

I have also managed to get the main canopy cleaned up after a polish to get rid of all the small scratches that were sustained after several cross country moves I presume

DSCN9222.JPG

The lid was dipped in floor polish after buffing, it came up a treat!

The flaperons have also now been attached in their typical 'drooped' state that they adopt when hydraulic power is removed. I added the small corner fillets from scrap card first and a bead of filler was run along the seam to reduce the resulting gap but not completely eliminate it

DSCN9220.JPG

Finally the 'zorsts had their VEN actuators added  and they have now been primed in preparation for metallic shades to follow (yes I am exhausted🤣)

DSCN9221.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wings unlevel said:

Don’t know how you manage this level of detail Pappy, but glad that you do!

I got mad skillz

cheers,

Pappy

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to know will need to take a look for the materials as I like how your HUD looks. 

No worries Dennis.

G'day people,

I gave the hot end a spray of some gloss black today to prepare for the metallic shades to follow

DSCN9225.JPG

DSCN9224.JPG

Nothing special just some bog stock Tamiya gloss black. It will take masking and so far has not reacted with metallics I have used previously

I have been experimenting with different dark blues. The FS35109 (as specified by the decal sheet) I bought looks to de-saturated and grey. I have mixed up something which I think looks closer. Here is a tank with both shades applied for comparison with the newer shade on the right

DSCN9228.JPG

Finally, managed to get the windscreen attached

DSCN9227.JPG

The fit is good but more importantly it affords a level of protection to the delicate HUD details

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Col. said:

More fine work Pappy. This one looks to be coming along nicely.

Thanks Col, I am trying to not get too sidetracked by adding additional frippery (says the guy who added all the resiny goodness) at this stage so that I can keep focusing on the end state

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The new blue mix looks much better. 

Hi Dennis, I agree it is much closer, but it is perhaps a little too purple, I think some grey might just about do it, as the tank was more of a coarse adjust, now I can zero in on something that looks closer. John Masters used a Vallejo 35277 in his build and it looks spot on, unfortunately that is a little hard to get currently and not my preferred paint. I am not saying it is not good paint, but I would like to stick with what I know at this point.

G'day people,

Just about done in the office now. I painted up the canopy and added the canopy furniture comprising the locking hooks, grab handles and stand-by compass to the canopy frame and canopy bow

DSCN9231.JPG

Those hooks are tiny!

DSCN9232.JPG

The fuselage got some PE love as well

DSCN9229.JPG

And to finish off today's update the 'zorsts were painted up

DSCN9233.JPG

and a gratuitous dry-fit just because

DSCN9234.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

But important details that set off the canopy well. Fine work Pappy.

Hi Charlie, fiddly work to be sure but as you say it really looks the part when done

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Try it next to the other paint before adding the grey. I find colors tone down a bit next to grays. 

G'day Dennis,  I know what you mean , I am playing around with a test pallet but really getting close. The build is getting close to the pointy end as I will need to start masking in preparation to start the painting proper,

cheers

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

Just a small update. I noticed that post MSIP F-15Cs have a GPS antenna added to the upper fuselage. I have added this feature to my kit as well using a some Heat-Stretched Sprue (HSS)

DSCN9265_aRXYR5K9ho3iJJmzWg4nmQ.JPG

Result!

I have also attached the right vertical fin

DSCN9266_mwS5nUmTuC7C89PxNpYBVS.JPG

The fit is good but still a bit gappy at the back end.

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just been catching up with this Pappy, absolutely outstanding work as always mate and i agree about the blue paint, your new colour is much better than the supposedly correct one.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, I knew it would really bother me if I didn't get the darlk blue close so it was worth the effort to get right. I was hoping to be a boit further along at this point but my airbrush is being somewhat recalcitrant so I have just stripped it. I was getting almost no paint flow and after checking that air was flowing and paint was correctly thinned I decided it must be a dirty gun. I will let the parts soak for 48 hours then re-assemble and see what happens,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Cheers Craig, I knew it would really bother me if I didn't get the darlk blue close so it was worth the effort to get right. I was hoping to be a boit further along at this point but my airbrush is being somewhat recalcitrant so I have just stripped it. I was getting almost no paint flow and after checking that air was flowing and paint was correctly thinned I decided it must be a dirty gun. I will let the parts soak for 48 hours then re-assemble and see what happens,

cheers,

Pappy

I have been having similar issues with my airbrush,what are you soaking yours in mate?

🇺🇦

15 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I have been having similar issues with my airbrush,what are you soaking yours in mate?

🇺🇦

I have stripped it down to basically the body itself, having removed the needle seat, trigger mechanism and air valve assembly as well as the nylon packing washer. I am soaking mine in a small jam jar using generic all purpose lacquer thinners.

After thirty minutes I could see tiny little clouds of dissolved paint floating out of the guts so I think it is working. I usually strip and c,lean about every three months. Once done soaking I typically put it in an ultrasonic cleaner with some warm water for another 20 mins. 

Final part of the clean is to use those fine dental 'pliksters' to get into the smaller nooks and crannies. Once all that is done it is time for a few drops of airbrush lube (it was included with the gun) on some parts like the air valve and trigger mech. Next the final assembly and functional check. It is not unlike cleaning a gun really.

I find that the acrylics really seem to gunk up the works, lacquers the least,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Your airbrush cleaning is as thorough and detailed as your model making Pappy! :giggle:

I find stripping and cleaning my airbrush oddly gratifiying

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

On 19/10/2022 at 10:35, Pappy said:

I find stripping and cleaning my airbrush oddly gratifiying

cheers,

Pappy

Funnily enough I had to do just that to my own last night after it started spluttering! Always gratifying to put it back together without any bits left over and without losing or threading the nozzle. 🤣

G'day people,

"Make plans and the universe laughs at you" or why you should not rush a kit to make a deadline!

A weekend of ups and downs. Having stripped and cleaned my airbrush I was keen to get some painting down. After what seems like ages I managed to get the avionics bays masked up

DSCN9290.JPG

In hindsight I probably should have painted these after spraying the camo. It would have saved me a lot of time. I also masked up the hot sections at the back of the jet to protect the gloss black. Metallics seem to be notoriously frail when it comes to masking over them. I have had mixed success so this time I will spray them last. Masking finally done I was keen fire up the compressor when the fickle finger of fate stepped in and I managed to snap off the mass balance fairing on top of the right fin

:angry:

These things are made to test us. This was the second time  and this time the carpet monster won the day. Luckily, since my boxing was originally a J.A.S.D.F kit, I had a spare fin. A few quick swipes with the trusty razor saw and the mass balance-ectomy was completed, the patient made a full recovery!

DSCN9289.JPG

I started applying the light blue which is a lacquer. When I first started applying this paint It was not going down right, drying in mid air and the paint was ending up quite powdery. This is usually a  symptom of too much air pressure but the gun was struggling to get the paint out despite being already thinned for spraying. That is what prompted me to strip and clean my airbrush. Following the maintenance the paint went down like a dream, amazing how much gunk had built up inside.

DSCN9295.JPG

I still had to wet sand the kit to smooth out the powdery paint that was previously applied but now I had a nice smooth coat of light blue. Time for the dark blue and I managed to stuff this up as well. The blue is a custom mix using water based acrylics, of course I completely forgot this and added a few drops of lacquer thinners to the airbrush cup and the airbrush was having not of it. I didn't get too much paint on before I realised my clanger!

Luckily an external fuel tanks copped the brunt so that will need to be stripped back but it could have been worse. A quick spray through with some water, field strip  and then more GP thinners and I was back in business. I have now started to apply the acrylic blue with acrylic thinners

DSCN9296.JPG

Niice,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6