REVELL Famous Air Battle scene #2 "Battle of Midway" ***FINISHED***

Good morning,

In agreement with Denis/Corsairfoxfouruncle, I present you a construction that I started in 1981 (!!! :clif: ), and that I resumed a little before the beginning of this group build. 

dio_mi11.jpg

Revell had made several boxes in a series called Famous Air Battle Scene: 

dio_mi29.jpg

Photo source: facebook

I remember seeing a FW190 crashed and flown over by a Thunderbolt at a friend's house, and I was thrilled with the diorama. And I found the Midway's one, produced in 1976.

Allan31 showed us the Battle of Britain diorama in his work in the previous Revell/Monogram build thread.

(That is why I wanted to show you this subject ;)).

I had built the zero, which I found hanging from the ceiling of my teenage bedroom when we sold the house this year:

dio_mi13.jpg

Funny, isn'it? 😋

This construction represents barely 25% of the total, there is still a lot to do:

dio_mi10.jpg

I started by building the diorama:

dio_mi15.jpg

I found my childlike soul again, and jumped forty years back in time by doing some cutting! :bleh:

I have consolidated the walls of the dio which present the external decoration with thick cardboard, So I finished the base:

dio_mi14.jpg

To be continued...

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Edited by Snafu35
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Never knew that these existed. Maybe they were not available in Germany or I didn't pay attention as my interest had moved to 1/48 already. Super idea!

• Thanks 1

Welcome and likewise I never knew these existed. The closest I can remember were Revell/Monogram’s dogfight dual boxings. These are the two I owned and built. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6048-p-47-razorback-and-do-335-arrow--159279

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6081-focke-wulf-and-p-51b-mustang--159282

• Like 2

Hi,

this is just brilliant!

Like nearly everyone else, I am discovering something I had no idea had existed!

This is going to be so good!

JR

• Thanks 1

Fantastic find from the mists of time. I don’t recall these ones but do remember a WW1 card diorama which I had and rotated my Camel; SE5a, Albatross and Fokker Dr1 and the DrVII on. All Revell products and not a bit of rigging in sight :D  Finished between school and bedtime. Blitzbuild ?  Nowt on a ten year old. Easy done if you substitute imagination for paint :D

Happy days 

Looking forward to this though

• Like 2

Hello, All.

Thank you for participating.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome and likewise I never knew these existed. The closest I can remember were Revell/Monogram’s dogfight dual boxings. These are the two I owned and built. 
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6048-p-47-razorback-and-do-335-arrow--159279

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6081-focke-wulf-and-p-51b-mustang--159282

I think you forgot this on, Denis :

combo_10.jpg

I hope to build this combo one of these days.
Maybe at the next Monogram group build! 😆

Anyway, I have started building the F4F Wildcat Revell.

I built it straight from the box and without any additions. I simply replaced the figure with an Airfix pilot.

dio_mi18.jpg

An ad hoc paint job transforms an Englishman into a USN pilot wearing a jacket.

The little Grumman fighter is ready for painting:

dio_mi19.jpg

I have not etched the structural lines or sanded the surface details, the model looks like a steam locomotive with all its big rivets!

I painted the beast, and I stenciled the nationality badges to avoid putting decals on the rivets:

dio_mi20.jpg

I've been looking through my binder of 1/72 decal scraps, and I've found the right patterns:

dio_mi21.jpg

I found a Felix the cat to decorate this F4F in VF3 colours on the Yorktown, and an F-12 from a Corsair Hasegawa board to register the aircraft that was flown by Ensign J.P Adams.
I don't know if Adams "scored", but I think the two little flags are nice.

I must admit that I finished this little hunter during the month of August:

dio_mi22.jpg

Okay, the Airfix model is probably better. But it is great to be almost finished with this project from...

dio_mi28.jpg

I am now hesitating between installing the zero not beautiful on the stem not beautiful, or installing another Japanese plane...

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • Snafu35 changed the title to REVELL Famous Air Battle scene #2 "Battle of Midway" ***FINISHED***