Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre F.4

SteveMc

Good afternoon all. This is my finished model of Airfix’s 1/48 Canadair Sabre F.4 which was built OOB.

The F.4 was a version of the American F86, licence built in Canada for the Royal Air Force. 428 examples were delivered to the RAF and served between 1953 and 1956 when replaced by the Hawker Hunter.

Airfix's habit of putting everything in one bag has been commented on in various forums. I had several pieces off the sprues with a couple of them broken. Having viewed similar builds online, it seems that others have had more problems with this kit than I found. Airfix’s QC seems a bit hit and miss these days.

I thought the surface detail is very soft and for some reason the wing detail is better than the fuselage detail. The fit wasn’t great and I had quite a few oversized gaps that required filling. On a more positive note, it’s a nice touch to be able to have the gun bays and air brakes open. Overall, I’m pleased with the result and it looks like a Sabre.

The main colours were Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green, XF-54 Dark Sea Grey and Vallejo Model Air 71.109 Faded PRU Blue.

Weathering was done with Flory dark dirt and grime washes and Abteilung oils.

My 7 year old grandson always follows my progress with each build and his first question when I start a new one is, "is there a human in it". The pilot figure is added for his benefit.

DSC_0179

DSC_0180

DSC_0195

DSC_0196

DSC_0197

DSC_0205

DSC_0207

DSC_0209

Cheers

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1