Bill - new member - my first attempts

Bill1974

Hi all - these are the first couple of tanks that I built and painted (no prior experience) 

I'd be grateful for some comments and assistance on my attempt to create what I've seen online.  Before making the tank I've searched online and downloaded for reference lots of different versions of the type of tank I'm building to give me an idea of what I have to try to achieve.

Totally new to all this and eager to improve and learn.

Hopefully the photo thingy works, I've not done it before!

Thanks 🙂

My first tank - airfix panther type g - 1:35 - very dirty European theatre

KaLDgJX.jpg

m5YsziW.jpg

Lr8tyWY.jpg

8wBc6EN.jpg

My second tank - airfix tiger late - 1:35 - painted with world of tanks ‘trees and branches’ camo

spacer.png

j1lxRrp.jpg

WOFY4D8.jpg

yJ46tdL.jpg

My third tank an old timiya Panther type g - 1:35 - desert version

6tgAHEp.jpg

6TAW49n.jpg

aY1xsLD.jpg

2KZe0lS.jpg

My fourth tank - tamiya easy eight - 1:35 - in European green

2NL8K4g.jpg

Sv8XhQ9.jpg

7IXu5il.jpg

fZMGyu9.jpg

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 29

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

Nice work, particularly the Sherman.  :thumbsup:

The link worked, but the more usual approach is put in direct links so the images are directly visible in the thread. I don't use Imgur so I can't provide any guidance on if/how that's done.

Direct links also enable you to describe the image. For these images, the kit, scale, aftermarket, finishing techniques are all of interest.

• Like 1

Those tanks look nice. That first Panther has seen some action. The Sherman look good. I like how you managed to pull back a little on the grime and dirt. Your figures need some attention but all in due time. 

These are good models and i hope you will keep on building and learning! 

Welcome aboard! 👍😁

• Thanks 1

Not bad at all. I can see the improvements as the quartet progresses.

You asked for advice. At this stage I offer the most basic of suggestions which is to thin your paint more and apply multiple thin coats rather than one thick one. You'll get a more even finish which you can then modify in a controlled way for weathering. The first coat or two will look awful but persist!  You will also lose the brushstrokes. Make sure the first coat is dry before applying the second and if you are in a hurry, dry the paint with a hairdryer - it only takes seconds

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Not bad at all. I can see the improvements as the quartet progresses.

You asked for advice. At this stage I offer the most basic of suggestions which is to thin your paint more and apply multiple thin coats rather than one thick one. You'll get a more even finish which you can then modify in a controlled way for weathering. The first coat or two will look awful but persist!  You will also lose the brushstrokes. Make sure the first coat is dry before applying the second and if you are in a hurry, dry the paint with a hairdryer - it only takes seconds

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to thin my paint more, it helps that I've recently bought a sparmax pistol grip airbrush which is a massive difference to my other airbrushes which have been rather rubbish.

I've made and painted quiet a few since these early efforts I will have to get round to taking some photos and add them for comment....

👍

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the world of AFVs! Good progression with the models, it is true that the first two are camo, and the other solid colors, with their differences when treating them. As other colleagues comment, the layers of paint are better to be thin and subtle, so that you can appreciate lights and shadows, and the details of the kit. I thought you used brush instead of AB, personally I prefer AB, (now that I can afford a full kit with a compressor...lol...when I was a kid...), and that you also don't need a particularly good one to get good results, because they are also more delicate and "temperamental" to use.... I started with an AB300 (about €30 approx.), and I continue with that model (different unit, spare parts...). Another suggestion would be, try not to darken the model too much, you lose detail and effects already done, and also showiness. I don't know if you've tried doing detail washes (the Desert Panther is a perfect candidate, since it's a light color), you'll see how by "magic" details appear that didn't stand out before, making the model more interesting. .and it's easy to do too...lol. The figures do require more attention, and it is a different field, they are terribly difficult for me... my advice is to focus on the AFV you are doing until you get a good level of satisfaction, and then "attack" the figures...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Glad to have you along for the ride. And a very nice intro too.

Stick with it. It does get easier, but, and its one of those massive buts, you'll still make "cock ups". It's all part of the "fun"😉

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

Welcome Bill,

The Sherman is my favourite. I'm building the same kit at the moment.

As you may know by now, the Panther never saw service in North Africa. However, that dark yellow colour was adopted as the factory paint scheme for all AFVs from 1943. Green or brown camo was applied in the field. 

Keep 'em coming! 👍

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...