1:50 Scale DHL Truck Accident

tiking

Yep, its's another 1:50 Commission job. Rikard Algotsson had Commissioned me, to build another 1:50 scale diorama for him. This time a snow diorama. Now this was my first snow diorama has I have never felt comfortable about doing one due to the lack of knowledge. Also needs some snow on the road and perhaps some ice( if I can mimic it correctly). Also added some hydraulics but will get them to sit better than how they are now, as this was just done to get the overall look. I am pretty impressed by the snow effects I've created, being my first.  I've always added or tried to mimic melted ice on the roads, in certain areas. You can see them in a few photos. I also put blown snow on the signs and road guard post to simulate blown snow. The effect is pretty cool and authentic. I also added some skid marks in the snow that as been covered by fresh snow in some areas. So far I am proud of this diorama. Hope Rikard is too.

Here was my methods. Hope it helps those wanting to try it out:

Materials:

1. Cotton (I used the ones that come in a wider form. Not the buds. Although it would work but you can get thicker layers in a package for little or less. The idea of using cotton was an idea I got from another modeler)

2. PVA (any good grade PVA will do)

3. Johnson Baby Powder ( that's the one I used. I am thinking the better the brand, the better the results. Although, I don't really think its necessary.)

4. Woodlands Scenics Soft Snowflakes

5. A good hairspray( I used one with 'stronghold')

Procedures:

1. I laid out cotton as the base first (The idea of using cotton might sound strange but really I like the idea. As this method is simple. The cotton is already white and easier to mold as you apply it with the next step. Also it makes a nice under structure for the other effects you will finally put on top of it.

2. Then I take a mixture of water and PVA glue( I have no ratio figures. Just mix until it is the consistency you like. Just as long as it holds the cotton together. Dab or brush on the glue mix until you flatten out or formed the cotton you will want it)

3. You can either wait until the glue completely dries and put more glue on or do what I do in the next step.

4. I did not wait until the glue dried. I took the Woodlands Scenics soft snowflake and using a sieve, I sprinkled the contents unto the area you want your snow. The material will hopefully be soaked up by the glue as it dries. 

5. I then sprayed the area with a hairspray, holding the can from high above, about 50cm or 60cm. This way, you don't blow any snowflakes. (This process can be done after everything dries. But just being me, I sprayed on it before it had time to dry. you can also spray another coat after the drying time.

6. This next step I used mostly for the vehicles. 

A. Spray a coat of hair spray over the area of the vehicles you want the snow.
B. Then take a sieve, again,and sprinkle baby powder over the area you just sprayed the baby powder. I used baby powder instead of the Woodlands Scenics snow, because it is much finer than then the woodlands Scenics and looks much better.
C Then from a distance, spray more short burst of baby powder over the area again to kind of seal in the powder. It is better to do this in layers. 

D. You can also sprinkle baby powder over the Woodlands Scenics snow, after the whole thing as dried, just to get that extra finer powder look of snow then seal everything with hair spray. 

E. As for the little small clumps here and there on the road was done by taken small stands of cott0n strands and pulling them gently so it gives that small patch ice/snow look. I am still experimenting but so far the effect looks good. 

F. The small snow blown patches on the road signs were done using a mixture of PVA glue, white acrylic paint and a little baking soda. I just took a small old brush and dry-brushed with small minute clumps on the post and signs. Do this until you are satisfied.

That's it. Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------

dhl_truck_snow_accident_update-vi.jpg

l_truck_snow_accident_update11-vi.jpg

truck_snow_accident_update_ice-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update2-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update3-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update4-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update6-vi.jpg

l_truck_snow_accident_update6a-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update7-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update8-vi.jpg

hl_truck_snow_accident_update9-vi.jpg

l_truck_snow_accident_update10-vi.jpg

ruck_snow_accident_update_ice2-vi.jpg

ruck_snow_accident_update_ice3-vi.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, glibble said:

I thought the first photo is a reference photo, ie. the real thing!

Awesome powder snow effect!

Thanks for the snow making procedure, it will be very useful!

Appreciate the upliftment. 

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is quite wonderful. I felt cold just looking at it, you've achieved a very convincing look about it.

Steve. 

Hehe!!! Thank you. 

• Like 1

Oh this is superb. I've seen your work before and was captivated by your road surface. Same again for the snowy surface. Well done for avoiding the obvious and too stereotypical skid marks (that I would have done so unrealistically). The snow on all the surfaces is really real!

I like the layout too. Putting so much empty road in front of the truck to me says "here is where it was supposed to be" and the truck itself, undamaged but very stuck in place is wonderfully understated. The scene is so calm and still that I can't help visualise the terror, noise and drama of the actual crash.

This is most excellent diorama-ing and thanks for the snow lesson. 

54 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Oh this is superb. I've seen your work before and was captivated by your road surface. Same again for the snowy surface. Well done for avoiding the obvious and too stereotypical skid marks (that I would have done so unrealistically). The snow on all the surfaces is really real!

I like the layout too. Putting so much empty road in front of the truck to me says "here is where it was supposed to be" and the truck itself, undamaged but very stuck in place is wonderfully understated. The scene is so calm and still that I can't help visualise the terror, noise and drama of the actual crash.

This is most excellent diorama-ing and thanks for the snow lesson. 

Thank you very for your input. I appreciate it. The truck placement idea was taken from a real incident. Glad you like the overall look. I think the client is happy with the results. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's really quite excellent! :worthy:

The only thing giving it away in a couple of photos is the depth of field.

Even more evocative for me today as I spent the day driving my RV on 2-lane roads in redwood forests. The side mirrors sometimes only had inches clearance with trees at the edge of the road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, Bobby No Mac said:

Wonderful work. I really like the snow clinging to the sides and rear of the trailer. Thanks for sharing the finished item and your methodology with us. :like:

My pleasure. Glad you liked the results. 

You modelled a beautiful Alberta summer there!  But in all seriousness, you have done an astounding job!  And thank you so much for sharing your methods; I will unashamedly steal your process for snow; all my previous attempts have been awful, but if I can make mine look half as good as yours, I will be more than happy.  Very, very well done!  Tack så mycket!

On 10/12/2022 at 4:00 PM, ErikT said:

You modelled a beautiful Alberta summer there!  But in all seriousness, you have done an astounding job!  And thank you so much for sharing your methods; I will unashamedly steal your process for snow; all my previous attempts have been awful, but if I can make mine look half as good as yours, I will be more than happy.  Very, very well done!  Tack så mycket!

Hi Erik. Thanks for your comment. You should be able to do it, just as I could, especially, being my first time. I hope to see yours when done. :)

• 3 weeks later...