Monogram ex-Aurora Aston Martin DB4 1:25 - from the group build.

Here's my contribution to the Revell Monogram Classic group build.  The Monogram, ex-Aurora 1:25 scale Aston Martin DB4.  The wheels are aftermarket and I used self-adhesive flocking for the carpet, the door mirror is from a Tamiya Mini Cooper and the body colour is Vauxhall Burgundy from a Halfords spray can.  It was a bit of a tricky build in places but not too bad considering the age of the kit, everything was coming together nicely until I cracked the windscreen at the end of the build.

The Aston Martin DB4 is one of my favourite cars, even if (or possibly because) it's less well known than its younger sibling the DB5.  The kit seems to capture the shape well and most of the details of the Series 5 version of the DB4, in building I learnt more about the DB4 than I ever wanted to know.  Under the bonnet there is some extra detail that is a part of no DB4 that I've ever seen but it is still one of the best detailed engine bays in a 1:24 or 1:25 scale kit that I've ever seen.  Unfortunately I had to adjust the bonnet to get it to fit by adding plastic and with the thickness of the paint it isn't easy to open the bonnet, so it's staying closed now.  I also ended up making my own boot hinge from bent wire because I didn't feel that the kit item was secure enough and I ended up making a full-width boot floor as I didn't like the idea of the model's battery being exposed next to the contents of the boot.

If you like Aston Martins, 1960s cars or fancy a 1:25 scale model of a car that isn't American, I'd definitely recommend this kit.  Just promise that, whatever else you do, you stop by Motobitz and buy a set of replacement wheels for it.

y4ml9comvEpvrI_XrDReEe4fxTZbcCEhnztKfc2q

y4mZqhohWL2evyfwNuKgatXJEulq9Yp1xUxyfpz-

The number plates are from the kit, but cut out including the backing paper because some of the decals were breaking up.

y4mvq3XJDItn0Z9lc8hb167ybFeuDaaiXvwVr_uH

y4my8T6PhgLr9xfk4fxfcGZEdZ0cXiKJgJhgIAVD

y4mdPBymHN89pWUCSrFYA9pC65Z2yWOZLxhj-MMr

You get a nice set of luggage with this kit.

y4mpGfpkylQJBgAtm5MD1dI0uFI19z7IxFnCraz4

y4m19R9j4O-odn7DqorsMKHAQWdSWoXO-ZdMzEPo

y4mqd5ewAIAPxW6YEV0rguHz6o3PDbqQXVjs5Zt7

y4m1Lsrkv4RcLVHPBdXDskoE0TQiAtoGbd04zV0f

You can just see some of the engine bay through the bonnet scoop.

y4mQZzt0_TWXoQfcWHScC_OmyIdMcdWiP935HWjI

Between two other 1:25 cars.

Build thread here:

• Like 21

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...