Sardinia, 1944...P-38, F-4 series...from a Revell F...RS decals...St. Ex...

Looks like an interesting kit - options for exposed engines and machine guns.

Glad the cowlings fitted nicely around the engines. It probably means the engines were a bit small :)

If it tail sits, maybe add the steps with a bit of stiff wire down to the ground below them?

Regards,

Adrian

Did some attaching of parts to other parts...It's taking shape!

52474573681_e1a9fb64d2_z_d.jpg

52475039955_80673d229d_z_d.jpg

Once it is all dry, etc...I'll go around and fill in the gaps that need filling and smooth down the bits that need smoothing down.

--John

• Like 8

On 11/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, 81-er said:

Hopefully there's not much remedial work needed, John?

Not much James.  A little PPP took care of it.

I have also added the wheel wells with their molded doors.

52480843546_1d4b383dab_o_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm glad it was only minor corrections that were needed

Thanks James.  Yes...minor fettling here and there.  The same goes for the front bits of the nacelles.  Regarding the access panels...to fit them in now would be a major headache, so I will have them propped open for the engine view!  A much easier and interesting option, imho.

52482430553_6286166c56_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

I sorted out the pieces today.  I masked and attached the canopy, and masked the separate canopy top which I will prop open.  I painted the prop tips yellow and masked them.  I attached the rear section of the prop spinners.  Assembled and masked the wheels.  Hmmm...oh yes...in conducting the inventory I realized I had misplaced one of the engine covers.  I checked the floor to no avail.  No choice but to dump out the rubbish and sort through bits of plastic, used cotton buds, empty sprue, etc...and I found it!  What luck!  The gods of modelling smile upon me!  

Here's where I stand with this one.  Basically ready for primer.  I have to think ahead...what was the primer colour for the P-38?  I am hoping to make this one pretty weathered (because it was) so I will prime it, give a layer of aluminum in spots, and then the primer colour, then hairspray.  That way I can chip away at my leisure.

52489425532_dec845449a_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

disaster averted

Indeed.  However, in trying the mask the camera windows on the nose, they both popped out and fell into the fuselage cavity.  I was able to retrieve them with but now cannot refit them.  I am thinking of just leaving them off completely at this point.  I might paint them black (they don't look clear anyway) and try to glue them back in.  Or not.  In any case, this one is all but ready for primer too.

That's extremely frustrating, I hope you can find a way of getting them back in. If not, I suspect it won't be noticeable with the nose being black inside anyway. I'm also now making a mental note to always use serious glue on any windows that just push in from behind

James

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm also now making a mental note to always use serious glue on any windows that just push in from behind

Yes...it's a poor design whose time has come and gone.  I might pretend it's just not happening.  

Any plastic strip in your pike of stuff ? Ive used thin plastic strip to make ledges for windows to sit on. They can be installed even now by using tweezers and Tamiya extra thin. Cut two pieces just larger than height or width when they're set just place window in and re-attach. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:34 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Cut two pieces just larger than height or width when they're set just place window in and re-attach. 

I'll look into that.  Great idea.  I think I know what you are saying...Meanwhile...

This is a complex paint job if I want to show some wear and tear, chipping, etc...First the areas that might have it get some aluminum.  Tomorrow I'll give it all some hairspray.  Then I'll start the painting of the camo, etc...note that I have already painted the superchargers a dark metallic.  That is a base.  I'll mask them before the actual paint goes on.

According to the profile, the port spinner is white and red and the starboard, all red.  I've painted those and will mask them too.  And the landing gear is all ready to attach once that time comes around.

52497435369_2d7766b13d_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Looking good in Sky undersides. The Revell kit looks really nice.

I’ve noticed the prominent air brakes - wondering if I should make some card ones for my Airfix kits, which just have raised outlines to show them.

Regards,

Adrian

On 11/20/2022 at 11:44 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good in Sky undersides. The Revell kit looks really nice.

I’ve noticed the prominent air brakes - wondering if I should make some card ones for my Airfix kits, which just have raised outlines to show them.

Thank you Adrian.  Mine are pretty much just raised outlines too.

I have masked the Sky and the undersides, ridders, etc...and have not forgotten the hairspray!

52519179253_27ee37bf53_z_d.jpg

52519179328_c18648a452_z_d.jpg

And the colours...I'll let the hairspray dry for a few hours before the next step.

52519179313_5da4f9530c_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to the next bit :)

We make plans and the Universe laughs...that's what happened.  And I should have taken pictures.

First off.  Green.  The bane of my airbrush.  Clogs, dries too quickly, etc...terrible...I'm convinced it's the pigments.  So I went in thinking this would be bad.

Then I started putting on the green, freehand, which I can do if I am patient.  All looks good.  Following the lines I drew with the pencil, etc...

Then, in a matter of very short minutes, disaster struck...crackle, crackle crackle...🤯 It all started to crack.  Since the underside did not, I am pretty sure it wasn't the aluminum paint.

It had to be the hairspray. I decided to just wipe it all off with some Ajax and ear buds, paper towels...

In doing so I also removed all the hairspray.

The paint went on fine.  Phew! Tragedy narrowly averted...

52518621107_0eca8980d4_z_d.jpg

It's only 19:30 here.  I'll give an hour or so to dry and get some Earth Brown on there tonight.  Crossed fingers folks!

--John

• Like 3