Sardinia, 1944...P-38, F-4 series...from a Revell F...RS decals...St. Ex...

On 9/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, 81-er said:

Exactly the right attitude, John

You betcha.  

Let's start this anyway.

Cockpit assembly.  I'll prime it and give it some Interior Green and pick out the black bits later in the week.  The detail looks a little soft around the edges, but I am quit content with what I have in front of me.

52407415108_b3cb87876c_c_d.jpg

52407180664_83c60d9570_c_d.jpg

Did this...

52407180714_5dbc6a2940_c_d.jpg

Looking ahead...I have already added the camera (80) to the cockpit...

52407400368_5fa3e33821_h_d.jpg

These are kind of neat.  I think this means I can have the engine covers open.  You know me...a sucker for open panels, air brakes, etc...

52407180534_909d064200_c_d.jpg

That's it for now.

--John

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Off to a good start I see!  :thumbsup:

It wasn't until I saw the instructions that I realised how old this model is, showed up in 1978. For it's age after looking over the sprue it looks to be well detailed model, how many models now give you a set of engines! Having a complete upper wing section will really help getting everything to sit properly.

Some more here...Last night I gave the cockpit area and the engines some black primer, ten a bit of green for the cockpit.  Not too happy with the green so when I pick out the black and silver bits I might go back with something less vibrant using a hairy brush.

52441280655_cb3d83616f_z_d.jpg

This morning this is the result after some detail painting and dry brushing some areas (last night to).  I'll still try to dull down that green a bit.

52441362328_e7c49b2493_z_d.jpg

Once this is all done I can make quick headway on the assembly.

--John

• Like 4

The shade of green aside (I can see why you want to tone it down), it's all looking good to me, John :) I'm really looking forward to seeing this one hit the paint stage, your chosen scheme is very nice indeed.

James

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

The shade of green aside

Thanks James.  In retrospect, I think it won't matter, but I gave it some muted olive anyway...

52441508872_b8e948660b_z_d.jpg

52442288849_54422e176f_z_d.jpg

The engines are setting up in their nacelle halves...the observation windows aren the nose...the small underside piece of the nose is attached to the central fuselage...

A familiar shape emerges...

52442021201_2f0148dde2_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I haven't really been investingating options for a build in that scheme myself. Honest ;)

Quiet alright.  From what I have seen, this was a pretty beat up aircraft.  I think I'll be using a fair amount of hairspray for this one...

So I've seen, and I've been watching a lot of tutorials on it. I've also (slightly dangerously) discovered there's a CMK conversion set for the Tamiya F/G kit with the decals included for the aircraft you're modelling, which is cheaper than finding a 1/72 kit and the decals. And I have the Tamiya kit in the stash. I think you might have inspired a wallet-related accident 🤣

James

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

I think you might have inspired a wallet-related accident 🤣

I take no responsibility for your obsession! 😆

The small gaps will need some filler, but despite the look, the edges are all flush--on both sides--except for the underside of the nose.  Easily fixed.

52443766606_5e728e97d9_z_d.jpg

Tail booms and fuselage almost ready to be fitted together.

52444282553_5ef4da343a_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

At first glance you had me going there for a second, with that wing and familiar nose extending far too far toward the back!  (see last photo)  Then my "doodle brain" imagined a couple of Meteor-esque jets where the booms go, and a "proper" aft fuselage and tail... wait, where would I put the landing gear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Then my "doodle brain" imagined a couple of Meteor-esque jets where the booms go, and a "proper" aft fuselage and tail... wait, where would I put the landing gear?

That's over in the other GB, mate! 😁

I attached the nacelle/boom pieces to the fuselage.  There will be some sanding and filling needed.  You can't really see it from this angle, but there are odd gaps and steps.  

52446742598_854faf4cdb_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Do you have enough weight in the nose to keep the nose wheel on the ground?

Damn.  You're right!  I forgot that.  I will attempt some minor surgery today to correct that.  There's a good spot for some on the starboard side of the camera.  Thanks for spotting that.

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

meant like fill up the whole nose,typo.

Understood, of course.  I think 7gms of lead in the nose might be enough.  I can always squeeze some more into the nacelles, as you suggest.  Might be wise.  Thanks.

I think you will need more than 7g John, I put 12 in my Airfix P-38 and it still sat on its tail, filing a flat spot on the wheels solved that problem though.

AW

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

I think you will need more than 7g John, I put 12 in my Airfix P-38 and it still sat on its tail, filing a flat spot on the wheels solved that problem though.

Thanks.  I'll try to pack as much in as possible.