"Hot Box Annie" 431FS/475FG -Tamiya P-38H-1

4 hours ago, don f said:

Hopefully, new decals for the H-5 will appear.

Don

Hi,

New H-5 decals would certainly be welcome.

I had a look at the PYN decals, with postage and import duties I could be looking at 50$ for 1 decal option. The thought occurred to me that it could be neat to simply build a Tamiya H-5 as one that had just arrived and that did not have the nose-art painted on yet. 

For my P-38H in this GB, I'm going to persevere with Trigor Mortis using the rear canopy part from my F/G kit. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 3:14 AM, Stefan Buysse said:

New H-5 decals would certainly be welcome.

I had a look at the PYN decals, with postage and import duties I could be looking at 50$ for 1 decal option. The thought occurred to me that it could be neat to simply build a Tamiya H-5 as one that had just arrived and that did not have the nose-art painted on yet. 

For my P-38H in this GB, I'm going to persevere with Trigor Mortis using the rear canopy part from my F/G kit. 

Cheers, Stefan.

@Stefan Buysse Not to worry.  Here's an image of P-38H-1 42-66718, 343FS/55FG that just happens to have been one of the last nine H-1's.  According to my notes, the last nine H-1's were manfactured with the unframed rear canopy.  The aircraft at the time of the photo does not appear to have a name or cartoon on the nose.  It should not be difficult to come up with serial numbers or codes on the booms.  So now you could now build two H-1's by adding the Quickboost intakes to the F/G kit. The aircraft has the antenna for the SCR-522 radio.

Don

20220928-142324.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the interesting image, Don. My place would have been within range of that P-38H.

Ah, the SCR-522...I believe that the antenna is in the Tamiya P-38J kit but the radio set isn't. 

I haven't updated my thread yet, but I've started on my P-38H. So much modelling fun, it all fits so beautifully!

Cheers, Stefan.  

Gee Don you're done some amazing work here with this build, the U/c wells and cockpit look awesome.

You are right in saying these Tamiya model need very little in the way of AM stuff if any, they have done a first rate job with this model, no wonder it is so popular.

Keep up the great work.