Spitfire IX E GC Lafayette 1/48

cger

Hi,

I post some pictures of one of my builds from this year. I wanted to depict a Spitfire IX in french service in Indochina. I used a Berna decal sheet, one of the profiles is an interesting

plane with a sharkmouth, from GC2/4 Lafayette squadron in 1947. On the sheet it is depicted with a C wing, but some pics of Lafayette spits I found on the web show a E wing, so I used an Eduard weekend edition of the Spitfire IX E.

I started with a preshading in black highlighting some panels with white.

20210919_140407

20210919_140439

All the markings except the squadron emblem where done with a Silhouette cutter. I used Tamiya paints, the weathering is done with oil paints and pigments.

I also did a diorama base, supposed to be from India or Burma, but looking acceptable for Indochina also. The ground is covered with Marston matting, a kind of wire mesh set on tarred felt sheets. The sheets are done with Canson paper, the wire mesh with tulle.

The elephant and his mahout come from a CMK resin kit. The harness is done with Tamiya epoxy  putty, with a little chain from some cheap necklace. The pilot comes also from the CMK kit,

I just changed the head which was full of bubbles for a head from a ICM kit.

P1060749

The accumulator trolley is scratchbuilt, the weels come from a Tamiya mototug which I thinned as much as possible to replicate some reference pictures.

P1060751

Here are some pics of the completed dio:

P1060787

P1060788

P1060789

P1060791

have a nice weekend,

Christian.

Edited by cger
  • Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  This is a very compelling diorama.  I guess if you need a tow tractor in remote areas using an elephant to do the heavy lifting will work.  Not really though about that.  I have seen them work fields by pulling large plows and lumber operations, but never really thought about their use during a war as a substitute tow truck.  This is really unique and am glad you thought of such a concept for display.  And, the depiction of the Spitfire is so well done that the eye misses how good the build of just the Spit is because it fits so seamlessly in the whole display.  Just wonderful.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, georgeusa said:

Wow.  This is a very compelling diorama.  I guess if you need a tow tractor in remote areas using an elephant to do the heavy lifting will work.  Not really though about that.  I have seen them work fields by pulling large plows and lumber operations, but never really thought about their use during a war as a substitute tow truck.  This is really unique and am glad you thought of such a concept for display.  And, the depiction of the Spitfire is so well done that the eye misses how good the build of just the Spit is because it fits so seamlessly in the whole display.  Just wonderful.

Thanks for the kind words ! There are well-known photos of an elephant towing a FAA Corsair in Ceylan. I also found several pictures of elephants passing by Hurricanes in Burma.  But I doubt the french used them  in Indochina for this purpose,

best,

Christian.