Delta Dilemma results in Viggen on top. Finished 03/26/23

neil5208

Don't know its happen but I've ended up with 5 Delta wing aircraft in my stash to build so which one to go for? All would be OOB less the Vulcan which I have the decals for 41sqn XM607 as flown in Red Flag 1977, the tail art on the Gripen and Rafale will add some colour to otherwise plain grey schemes, Viggen would be done in the splinter scheme and Typhoon would probably be Italian or German scheme. Box pics.

8mBMq9k4_o.jpg

q6KAfnwx_o.jpg

TEsEq72r_o.jpg

Npgk2Ble_o.jpg

vREiITQw_o.jpg

Edited by neil5208
Title change
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So the poll result in a win for the Viggen, with the Rafale second. I was little surprised the Vulcan didn't score higher and that the Typhoon didn't get any votes. But onto the Viggen, obligatory kit shots, Special hobby's rebox of the Tarangus kit. I will be going for the full splinter scheme so much time cutting and laying out of tape is in the future.

LCQqAoZM_o.jpg

JlR93OHs_o.jpg

zw1MLYtq_o.jpg

0aoQ3Wn9_o.jpg

zxIe5AR2_o.jpg

rTp1hKyK_o.jpg

Mnu08rDp_o.jpg

vd6VVovq_o.jpg

kSL9jO7U_o.jpg

ITj2mgry_o.jpg

h6ebhns1_o.jpg

As this is the fighter version of the Viggen I will arm it with 2 Sidewinders and hopefully 2 Skyflashes. I think the Swedes used the AIM9L's which I should have in one of the multiple Harrier kits in the stash but may have to source some Skyflashes/Sparrows but I have the LAU7 rails from a Phantom kit I think.

1u2l3tV0_o.jpg

RMNyoWrt_o.jpg

KAGB43Mb_o.jpg

• Like 8

• neil5208 changed the title to Delta Dilemma results in Viggen on top.
  • 1 month later...

Small update now the Voodoo is complete, cockpit has been painted and the fuselage forward section glued together. Unfortunately as other modeller's have found the gaps on these parts will require filler. Also needed clamping to meet the edges.

jQYIwg8N_o.jpg

nWvKNwhl_o.jpg

wWQXxqKe_o.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Just started my Christmas holiday today but the wife is not off until Thursday so plenty of modelling time. Would like to finish some of the kits started this year so back onto the Viggen.

Sorted the seams on the forward fuselage section and added the intakes, I didn't have so much of a problem has some builders have had but I used my largest clamps to hold them in place.

Kj3VEARk_o.jpg

The left side needed some filler and I sanded the moulded on formation lights off as I think they would be a bit thick in 1/72 scale and the kit has decals for these.

nXNhpZq6_o.jpg

Assembled the jet clamshell with the top one drooped as this seems to happen when parked up.

O0gFWz05_o.jpg

And assembled the the rear fuselage section.

ugqnfSXL_o.jpg

The side air brakes are well undersized for the moulded aperture they meant to go into so a strip of 0.5mm plastic card was added.

QAkrewCW_o.jpg

Test fit of fuselage halves show its pretty good

umgeyTAN_o.jpg

So I dry fitted the wings as well.

9TZDrBwN_o.jpg

• Like 8

Yesterday work was fitting the nose cone (weight has been include as I still don't know if I'll be arming this one) and painting the main wheel wells so this morning I could assemble the wings and rear fuselage section into one assembly.

zLQsfmIP_o.jpg

XJeHumk5_o.jpg

hSlRIQWS_o.jpg

The rear fuselage joined the wing section with no gaps but I had not glued the top of the fuselage halves at the front so I could manipulate the two halves easier.

aVJOBcHE_o.jpg

• Like 4

I have an air plane! some minor filling needed on the fuselage joint so be off down the model shop later as I don't want to use the Humbrol filler I have.

LoK006LK_o.jpg

Fitted the belly strake and additional flap actuators the JA37 have.

HuUdtfXU_o.jpg

Assembled the gun pack and test fitted.

VFEvu2E0_o.jpg

Will be ordering some AIM7E's (Skyflash stand in) for this and my Fine Molds F4E, I have some LAU's that will be suitable for a Skyflash. I have some AIM9L's and launch rails from an Airfix Harrier kit so can go for typical JA37 air to air load out.

• Like 4

The kit has some nice (not nice, bloody tiny) brace for the intakes, 2 upper and 2 lower. I successfully fitted the upper 2 but the lower 2 didn't fit and when I tried to trim them they left the bench at speed never to be seen again.

5IxYKk0d_o.jpg

Fitted the multitude vents and antenna, gun pack with a test fit of the fuel tank

Lc3CrXhx_o.jpg

3iR0oGjR_o.jpg

Canopy fitted

MDEX1tu1_o.jpg

Drilled 1mm hole in the tank so painting will be easier.

enDwreLT_o.jpg

Wheel wells masked of ready for primer, going to leave the inner pylons of as these seam to changed regularly and weather less than the aircraft.

Jh1osSKS_o.jpg

This now leaves me three kits at the painting stage, the Viggen and Tempest ready for primer and the Blenheim already primed and pre-shaded.

cKKdSP1S_o.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Small update as I've been working on my AT-AT, sprayed the underside thrust reverse outlet which I'd missed earlier.

nLUgjXUN_o.jpg

Also sprayed the intakes with XF16 Aluminium.

KHxbnYpN_o.jpg

I'll mask up later today and get the primer on.

• Like 3

Been have a bit of a mare with the0.2mm needle in the airbrush but have a new seal on the way and had to fit the 0.4mm needle set so I can get some painting done, I don't know how but I tend to end up with multiple models reaching the paint stage simultaneously on a regular basis, this time its the AT-AT, Viggen, Tempest and Blenheim. Viggen has been primed and had the underside sprayed with Mr Hobby colour C308, now its dried I think it a bit dark so may do some post shading.

BvuKlsXi_o.jpg

XkdDR05w_o.jpg

So some post shading before I can move onto the camo pattern.

• Like 4

To try and make the masking process a bit easier I photocopied the paint scheme and increased the size to 161%of the original so it is the same as the kit and then laminated it so I can make the masks on the laminate before fitting the the kit,

VqMXwP2m_o.jpg

hCOPTOB6_o.jpg

6M7kIRip_o.jpg

L9R3AEYw_o.jpg

First colour on will be the light brown C310 followed by the black as these are the smallest blocks of colour, I may spray the number 12 as well depending how well the rest goes.

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, neil5208 said:

To try and make the masking process a bit easier I photocopied the paint scheme

Oh - you really do the masking on your own? I bow my head to thee, as I stand ashame of my own weakness - I bought a masking set! Didn't start the build, though. Maybe your's is the better way to do this...

Hence I hopefully may join and follow this build with white knuckles, sitting on the very edge of my seat! Looks great so far, you see me impressed... 

• Like 1

Still waiting on parts for 0.2mm needle for the airbrush so I've fitted the 0.4mm for the time being. Managed to get to my local model shop for the last of the colours that I need which was Mr Hobby Colour H58 and Tamiya XF59 NATO Black, I went for the NATO black instead of XF1 for a faded look.

IHix86sG_o.jpg

I've just sprayed where the tan with a large enough over spray to allow masking.

faYd5KxL_o.jpg

tmPApPGE_o.jpg

Next colour to go on will be the black.

• Like 6

Hello @neil5208

nice job so far!

looking forward to your masking job. I have a 1/48 AJS37 splinter camo coming at me as well. And „for training puposes“ decided to NOT use a masking set. So yes, looking at your paint job with very great interest! 

• Like 1

Made a start on the masking today, a bit of experimentation of method but I worked out an easy way to make each section relatively quickly but it still going to be a slow process. First off I go round each section with the 1/2" masking tape.

d6C5NCI0_o.jpgThen I used the 2" painters masking tape over the top and pressed around the edge with a toothpick.

Wd6BUKDY_o.jpg

MSQp2Pji_o.jpg

After going around the panel with a new razor blade and steel ruler the excess tape peeled off.

GFxYhm5D_o.jpg

The resulting mask was fitted to the kit.

BBD4PMSN_o.jpg

Left side is almost complete as are the main wings but I noticed I missed a few small areas with the tan paint so I have had to this spray again.

AB74AB6M_o.jpg

Now that I know how the make the masks I don't think it will be as difficult as first thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2