HMS Colombo, C Class Cruiser 1943 - 1/350

Thanks for sharing this, what a fantastic build, really inspiring actually, with regards to the mooring questions I found this which may be of interest ( it was to me!) Hope you don't mind me posting, either of you

On 10/08/2019 at 15:33, Roger Newsome said:

Further to the previous replies and based on my own experience which wasn't on WWII battleships.

To secure to a buoy the anchor cable is broken at the first joining shackle aft of the anchor. The anchor being held in place by a Blake bottle screw slip. 

A securing to buoy shackle if attached to the free end of the anchor cable.

This is then lowered out of a fairlead, usually the bullring, to approx. Where the buoy will be when it is brought underfoot. 

A steel wire rope is then fed through the bullring and passed to a ships boat and attached to the ring of the buoy. This photo of the Scharnhorst illustrates that....

Scharnhorst-1

The picking up rope is heaved in on a capstan until the buoy is sitting underfoot on the stem of the ship and the anchor cable is then attached to the buoy.

The picking up wire is then payed out so that the weight is taken on the bridle (anchor cable). 

The picking up wire is then removed.

The bridle can be payed out until the desired length is reached.

8ada474a4fe73ba1f49d22b0ec749e07

If necessary both anchor cables can be used, a double bridle. Usually if bad weather is expected or for a longer stay at a buoy.

I've tried to keep it simple and not use too many Naval terms and as I said I wasn't in during WWII 😂 but I don't think the procedure would be too different.

Hope it helps.

Roger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's an exceptionally built and finished diorama, very nicely presented.

These little old cruisers were so characterful, almost little more than overgrown destroyers but boasting their cruiser status, makes a great subject for your build!

Edited by Rob 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, Rich75 said:

Thanks for sharing this, what a fantastic build, really inspiring actually, with regards to the mooring questions I found this which may be of interest ( it was to me!) Hope you don't mind me posting, either of you

Thanks for that Rich and likewise to Richard for his description.  Logical really but not uncomplicated, especially in a sea state.

Thanks to you all for your very kind comments and likes. 

I really appreciate them all.

Rob

Just got back from my French sojourn and have caught up on BM, and what do I find ?
This absolute gem of a diorama, I think you are getting better. This retirement thing must agree with you.

Thanks for showing how it can be done and providing me with yet more inspiration.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As modeller who doesn't "do" maritime modelling my visits to this esteemed forum often leave me in awe of the craftsmanship on show. This being a case in point.

Bravo sir, bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Tincan_Warspite said:

What color(s) did you paint for the underside of the superstructure? I'm building the 1/700 scale version of Colombo and im confused on rather the camouflage extends to the underside of the deck, bridgewings etc?

Hi Tincan, the existing photos are unclear but I painted the undersides the same colour as the camo next to it - i.e. blue on the front - blue underneath

HTH

Rob

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Tincan, the existing photos are unclear but I painted the undersides the same colour as the camo next to it - i.e. blue on the front - blue underneath

HTH

Rob

Same for me

Jon

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The only reference I've seen to this said that undersides should be painted white to reduce the shadow.  Whether this was always carried out I have no idea.

That makes sense as well, bit like painting the inside of the bridge white. 
However, I have to say, painting the underside of structures a different colour from the camo colour, could get very very fiddly. I wouldn’t want to do it at 1/350, let alone 1/700. 
And don’t forget, you not going to be walking under these areas. 😜

Jon

22 minutes ago, Faraway said:

painting the underside of structures a different colour from the camo colour, could get very very fiddly.

As opposed to adding aerials, railings and tiny sailors?  Have you ever seen a 1/700 Flyhawk model - even without these features?

However, just look on the sprues before assembly and paint everything appropriate white.  What's so fiddly?  (Remembering to do it, that's what.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are now Addenda in the RFI introduction and The WIP build summary for those who are considering building Colombo - these correct the Trumpeter instructions and Profile Morskie literature

Thanks again Ned

Rob

• 5 months later...

I am currently trying to establish what models are available for inclusion in the Gallery Section of a potential new book in the Seaforth Publishing ShipCraft series - RN AA Cruisers of WWII. Would you be prepared to provide some photos of your model? if so, please contact me at [email protected]. Many thanks. LesB

• Like 2