HMS Colombo, C Class Cruiser 1943 - 1/350

Work of the first order Rob, all of the minute details have taken this somewhere beyond model making to a point where you have captured a moment in time on a living, working ship of war. 

With a simple crop and some magic in Photoshop your last picture could easily be taken as a contemporary photograph of the real ship. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Work of the first order Rob, all of the minute details have taken this somewhere beyond model making to a point where you have captured a moment in time on a living, working ship of war. 

With a simple crop and some magic in Photoshop your last picture could easily be taken as a contemporary photograph of the real ship. 

Thanks Richard - I paticularly appreciate your remarks.  I find the original photos very evocative and inspirational - this is the singlepicture that captured my imagination

HMS_Colombo

Unlike Plane or Armour modelling where many if not most of the subjects still exist in physcial form, with ships I increasingly think about the act of bringing them alive again by presenting them in colour, for some the first time in decades - that's what gives me the kick!

Rob

• Like 7

Another great build Rob you can see the Norman Ough influence on your builds and those Micro master additions are just the icing on the cake so to speak just so much to look at and keep going back to look again.

:worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another beauty Rob.  Great detail! :goodjob:

Having said that, your builds are starting to cost me money.   I received a couple of packages this week - Modelkasten "Infini 0.3" metal rigging wire & a few bottles of VMS Flexy 5k glue. :lol:   I've tried the glue & it works great.  Thanks again for the tip.

John

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:52 AM, foeth said:

I do wonder how that cable work was handled on the actual ship? Is the anchor catted, parted, linked to the stopper, free end then linked to the buoy?

Gidday, that would be my guess. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, foeth said:

Great work! I do wonder how that cable work was handled on the actual ship? Is the anchor catted, parted, linked to the stopper, free end then linked to the buoy?

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, that would be my guess. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

I've assumed that.  My "Manual of Seamanship 1951" gives no specific details and nor does Norman Ough

Rob

I also spent some time going over the manual and my first reaction to seeing the model with two (parts of a) cables coming out of the hawsepipe was "that can't be right". Only to be confronted by the photograph 3 seconds later 😁 Most pics show the anchor catted with no cable attached... Always something new! (or... old in this case).

• Like 1

Gidday, I'm no expert in this and have not seen it done, but I don't see why the anchor can't be hoiked (a naval term 😁) up to the bollards and secured like it is, then extra cable hauled up onto the deck from the cable bin until it can be broken at the next joining shackle. To me this seems a safe way of doing it, the anchor is manhandled while still connected to the cable and hence less chance of dropping it (very embarrassing). But again, that's just my guess. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1