A soggy P-38.F ***Finished***

my planned build in 1/72, I just need to pick up a kit. I saw this picture a while ago and thought it would make a fantastic vignette.

Submerged P-38 receives protected status

Locally known as "Maid of Harlech", the wreckage of USAAF Lockheed P-38F Lightning 41-7677 (msn 5604) lies under water off the coast of Harlech in Gwynedd, North Wales. The watery grave of the Lightning has recently received a so-called protected status. The announcement makes the plane the first designated military aircraft crash site in the UK to have been given protected status for its historic and archaeological value. It means that no salvage activities are allowed without the approval of British authorities.

Lockheed P-38F 41-7677 was flown by the then 24-year-old Second Lt. Robert F. Elliott, who crashlanded after running into difficulties during a gunnery practice mission on 27 September 1942. Elliott escaped from the wreckage without injuries but was sadly reported missing in action just a few months later. Following the crashlanding, the Lightning was buried by several feet of sand. Depending on tides the downed plane is sometimes visible with the first sighting in the 1970s and most recently in 2014.

The future salvage of the Lightning is coordinated by a group called The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR). This organisation hopes to be able to remove the remarkably intact wreckage from the sea. These activities will be taken up as soon as it is known which museum will care for the conservation of this historic P-38F.

Source: Daily Mail
Photo credits: Joseph Mearman, 

B18430-D7-F52-D-48-E1-A83-D-335-B912-F3-

C006-B7-BE-2-AC0-4-F69-8053-CDF21-CA7-EB

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

welcome along Ozzy and wow what an amazing idea for a build!!!

wow from the photo she still looks in amazing condition after all this time, the location must be reasonably well protected from the various conditions to still be in such good condition. 

Good luck with this one, a really great idea and bound to attract a lot of follows, I'm all ready for it!   :popcorn:

• Like 1

• Ozzy changed the title to A soggy P-38.F
7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along Ozzy and wow what an amazing idea for a build!!!

wow from the photo she still looks in amazing condition after all this time, the location must be reasonably well protected from the various conditions to still be in such good condition. 

Good luck with this one, a really great idea and bound to attract a lot of follows, I'm all ready for it!   :popcorn:

thanks @trickyrich soon as I saw the picture, I thought that’s the build i have shrunk down from my usual 1/48 to fit on a reasonable size base. It must be in just the right conditions for it to have survived this long.

1 hour ago, philp said:

One of our local club members took this as inspiration and modified the Tamiya kit in 48th.

spacer.png

Cheers Phillip,

the build looks fantastic, definitely inspiration taken.

• Like 1

a vintage kit arrives Wednesday, I’ve got a couple of engines from something else. With a bit of sand and water on them nobody will know the difference, I’ve got a few bits of plastic rod and plastic card to help with scratch building.

67-EB0236-F7-FB-4172-A7-DC-9-B3-CF5-E53-

• Like 6

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's a fantastic idea for a build, Ozzy. For a bit of inspiratation, I found this build on Youtube a while back

James

Thanks James,

brilliant clip, no pressure hopefully mine will turn out as good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Rib Man said:

I'm really looking forward to this one.  It is a very interesting and unusual subject.

cheers Rib Man,

me too, I try and do something a little different.

• 1 month later...

wow I was all the way at the bottom of page 2, I’ve been a little distracted finishing off a project and then being given a kit to build for an article. Now I can focus on the P-38, bench cleared ready to start cutting and sticking plastic tomorrow.

hopefully in the correct order?

before and after bench tidy

proof of life pictures 

long term project 

article build

056-A3-F52-9-DEA-4-B5-F-92-D1-E5863-E405

CD63-EE55-6604-4-A30-89-C0-B1571722-CA4-

5-F66-EE89-9-ECA-4-EAF-9-E14-EDD36722-BF

DE77-BBD8-43-DB-4-CE5-A1-A0-98-EEEA0-F0-

36-B51-F88-9-E17-43-C5-84-CB-A224-CA1-B1

• Like 10

20 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progressing :) The long term project is excellent, and I like the tank too

James

cheers James,

hopefully I make the dead line.

14 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Same here! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

16 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Same as 81-er. The unfolding of your project about this "drowned" P-38 is something I eagerly want to watch.

thanks guys.

today I got the main superstructure built, the engines I had found looked a little small. I managed to find a couple of engines on various sites that weren’t to expensive.

9608-BD64-B747-4-E64-9906-0-CD1652-CA9-B

• Like 6

On 07/11/2022 at 17:03, 81-er said:

That's definitelty a good start :)

James

cheers James,

I want to get the air drying clay done over the weekend, then I’ll be happy I’ve made up for lost time.

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Took me a week or two to get that far!

Regards,

Adrian

cheers Adrian,

I’ve got a bit of catching up to do, it took me back to my quick building youth the only thing I didn’t do was get some paint on 🤣.

7 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Happy to see you've dived in (pun intended).

It's a fast start!

I certainly have Pat,

I’m a big fan of old Airfix kits.

• Like 2

Bit behind as I thought I had some air drying clay at home. Little did I know it had been used by my daughter.

at least the engines are in, just a bit of plastic strut to add for a bit of detail. My wife said she’d get some clay so hopefully I’ll get that on mid week.

64672734-64-C5-4385-9-C7-D-F723-DBC3-AEF

A726-A7-BC-B7-EE-46-E2-895-E-EDAB8-D2046

DF90141-E-AA45-40-C6-83-C6-875213989-B90

• Like 8

Got some air drying clay today, after watching the u-tube clip again for inspiration I popped her on the beach.

I used some PVA on the base to reduce shrinkage with the clay, used my fingers mainly then went over the clay with a damp paper towel to blend it all in followed by a dry scrunched up paper towel to try and get a bit of texture to the beach.

6148-EB81-24-D7-42-FC-8838-3208-CEEEDCC4

D26445-DC-0486-4-C6-C-8-A7-A-15742-EFDA1

E61-C60-FC-A4-CF-4-E10-83-FF-BE540-B152-

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats looking very good now blended into the sea bottom. Where did you get your engines ? Im considering opening the cowling on a P-40. 

Thanks Dennis,

the engines were from AIRES 7046, Allison V-1710 , Scale 1/72. I had to do some searching as in the UK they were a bit thin on the ground.

the engines are nicely detailed and come with some bits to stick on.

• Thanks 1

That's some nice sculpting work, Ozzy. This is definitely one of the more unique builds in this GB, and I’m really looking forward to seeing it develop :)

James

On 17/11/2022 at 09:31, 81-er said:

That's some nice sculpting work, Ozzy. This is definitely one of the more unique builds in this GB, and I’m really looking forward to seeing it develop :)

James

thanks James, 

I try and build the slightly unusual subjects.

I’ve got the basic colours on over the past couple of evenings, it’s all coming together nicely.

E3-D2-F9-CB-19-B3-4-E47-9-ABA-1-A4616111

2-AF5-B88-B-1-A89-4-B59-976-A-DA4-B6-CEC

2-FB3-B2-F3-20-AE-470-F-8399-62-D15-B591

FB217893-AE94-4-B6-C-8-B52-E92951-FD2361

• Like 8