Another Swordfish... Airfix 1/72nd scale A5 824 NAS, Taranto, a bomber...

heloman1

Another Swordfish I hear you say? Well, yes another Swordfish! This time, A5 a  bomber that took part in the battle of Taranto. The build is by way of some gentle persuasion from other Swordfish builders here on BM. Namely Mark,au, AliGauld, bigbadbadge, JeffG and Dunny all building in various scale and different marques and scheme. The history of the event is well documented in these builds. All I will do is to show the kit box art and the sprues and this for those who may not have seen them previously.

This is the 'new' Airfix Swordfish kit, moulded in Airfix's customary grey plastic. I have to say, I find if somewhat 'chewy', soft and pliable!

The level of detail is good, with engraved panel lines and some jigs to help with wing assembly in the folded position. (I have yet to decide). No rigging wire are provided, we'll see where that one goes later.

Decals are very well printed with excellent register and colour, even down to two gold printed squadron crests for the 820 NAS option.

One very slight criticisms is that Airfix have a paint 'callout' but not listing of the colours to the numbers! It's there for the final camo scheme but not the detail/assembly sequences! I've mislaid my Humbrol colour chart, so had to hunt and peck in my paint locker!

I'm probably unique in this group of builders, in that I have actually worked on a Swordfish. Not the mechanicals but rather the fabric skinning. I was serving at HMS Daedalus, RNAS Le-on-Solent, Hampshire. I was working (ha?) in the Dope (Spray) Shop during my last three years of my nine year engagement. Happy days...

It was late Friday morning the day before our annual Air Day. We received a phone call that some erk had kicked a hole in the fuselage side close to the lower access step on the port side. A repair was needed. A patch of canvas, some shrinking dope, oxide red primer and then a coat of silver. or was it Light Grey? Anyway, it was getting close to Tot Time (daily rum issue), an age old tradition in the Royal Navy and not to be missed! So armed with a piece of canvas and the dope, I set about applying a repair patch. That was allowed to dry, then after Tot/lunch time and then through the afternoon, the rest of the paint/dope and colour were applied. The Swordfish we had a Lee was one of two owned by the FAA Historic Flight at RNAS Yeovilton and had been used as a 'Christmas Tree' mainly for engine parts. Later it was transferred to Yeovilton.

Anyway, enough of me enjoying myself, here are the parts and box art...

spacer.png

The fuselage ,wing struts etc...

spacer.png

The wings, torpedo etc...

spacer.png

The clear parts, which will remain in the bag until needed...

spacer.png

So, to start. I'll be back later...

Colin

• Like 11

Gotcha! 😂

Glad you’ve joined in with this Colin, looking forward to what you do with this one.

I think I remember that Swordfish at Lee on Solent, at least I think I remember it flying around in the summer.

Hope you had a good time in the bush.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

Gotcha! 😂

Glad you’ve joined in with this Colin, looking forward to what you do with this one.

I think I remember that Swordfish at Lee on Solent, at least I think I remember it flying around in the summer.

Hope you had a good time in the bush.

Hi Mark, many thanks. Still to work out how I'm going to tackle the rigging, fine wire or stretched sprue.

Yes the bush was great, great bird sightings and three leopard plus lots of Elephant, plus Stripped Civet in the camp! There are some images on my FB page.

• Like 3

Not much to show for yesterdays effort, some assembly work on the cockpit, engine and tail plane. Not worth a pic! I also left my paints at home, so everything is naked.

I'm 'outa here' on Thursday for a quick trip to the UK for an 847 NAS 50 th Anniversary Decommissioning reunion. So I'll not get to the build much before the end of the month.

In the meantime, happy building. See ya all...

Colin

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads-up. I returned from my week long whirlwind trip to the UK late on Thursday. Not enamoured with Turkish Airlines at all!

Anyway, I scattered some (a lot) of cash on the new Special Hobbies Bell AH-1G Cobra. What a kit but at fifty-six quid, I don't think I'll be building a fleet of them! But what a box of well engineered and detailed parts.

I'm still with my partner for the weekend, so I don't think there will be much progress until mid week.

Thanks for looking in.

Colin

MotoGP time now...

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, heloman1 said:

Hi Mark, many thanks. Still to work out how I'm going to tackle the rigging, fine wire or stretched sprue.

Yes the bush was great, great bird sightings and three leopard plus lots of Elephant, plus Stripped Civet in the camp! There are some images on my FB page.

I'm not sure if this interests you Colin but there's an etched set of 1:72 Swordfish rigging available from S.B.S Models - SBS-72050

3 hours ago, Whistlekiller said:

I'm not sure if this interests you Colin but there's an etched set of 1:72 Swordfish rigging available from S.B.S Models - SBS-72050

Hi, I saw that but it is currently out of stock at Hannant's. Many thanks, I think I may need it unless I can find seem very fine fishing trace wire.

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi, I saw that but it is currently out of stock at Hannant's. Many thanks, I think I may need it unless I can find seem very fine fishing trace wire.

I'm no great expert at rigging but I previously had a lot of success on a 1:72 Airfix Gladiator with Stroft GTM 0.15mm monofilament nylon fishing line (I'm a fishing tackle dealer so I've got tons of it). I just brushed a well thinned mix of Vallejo Aluminium Acrylic over it once complete. I'd probably be doing the same with the Swordfish had I not stumbled across the SBS stuff on eBay a month or so back.

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

It's showing 'In Stock' from what I can see Colin: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SBS72050

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon chaps. Apologies for the lack of movement on this build, other things getting in the way! The wiring harness, ooops etched rigging set arrived and it looks good.

Staying with my partner over the festive season, so I'll try and get back to it soonest.

This year hasn't been my most productive, the Wessex HAS 3 'Humphrey' was my most indulgent build for the Falklands 40th Anniversary GB.

A very merry Christmas to all that celebrate it , where ever around the world you may be,

Colin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, time for an update. I'm working out of a box until I have moved into my new abode.

The Airfix painting instructions are non to clear, to me at least! Thanks to Mark in NZ for some clarification. I took the Humbrol number that Airifx recommend and lightened then a tad. Still not much definition between the green ad grey on the upper wings but hey, it's staying that way!

The Airfix decals are a delight to use. I did my hot water and cotton wool ball on the fuselage roundels and got then to sit over the detail very well.

spacer.png

Up next is a coat of SG clearcoat and then assemble the wings, add the main undercarriage. Then the rigging!

Colin

• Like 3