1/72 Dragon P-38J Lightning

Should be a nice side project for my other builds, so I plan to keep this simple. Trying to source decals for 23 Skidoo (currently owned and flying with Planes of Fame Museum, in Chino California), otherwise I'll go with the kit decals

JdCWonF.jpg

9nsR5uy.jpg

• Like 6

welcome along to the build and with a great model.

That's a great scheme you've chosen and you'll have plenty of reference photos, so hopefully you'll be able to find the decals you need.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

A quiet weekend meant I had plenty of time to start on this kit. Found some of the spruces to be warped, so not surprised I've encountered fitment issues. 

HHmYUDm.jpg

jokhYcl.jpg

9sIqdNo.jpg

1341w1p.jpg

v3rtED7.jpg

The simple cockpit is pretty much done now. Hopefully I've put enough weights in to keep the nose on the ground. 

• Like 8

Keen to follow this one, I have a Hobby2000 re boxing of this in transit from Poland , should be here in the next couple of weeks I hope, by which time this build might have given me a clue as to whether I build it or the Hasegawa one I had earmarked originally. Press on Mate. :D

Steve.

• Like 1

I like a lot of the exterior detail of the kit, though the lines tend to be a bit fine for my taste (im a heavy painter lol). Heating the warped parts didn't help much. I tried to get around it by using super glue to weld the parts while being held in position, which sometimes worked, but ultimately when it came to adding up all the parts, it seems the poor fitment kinda amplified. Im sure someone more talented than I can it look very good. My partial solution has been lots of filler. 

evvUxiZ.jpg

EcX8QUf.jpg

eJU0Qay.jpg

753bLx4.jpg

FsAGAeE.jpg

I dont plan on spending a lot of time to get this perfect, I'd rather move on and actually get this thing finished. Now some more primer will go on, and I'll see what needs fixing, and what's acceptable. I ordered custom decals from Germany for "23 Skidoo", which hopefully will turn out great when applied. Need to source some good colors in the mean time. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neither had I, so I wanted to finalize the camo until I had them in hand. Since they look great, it was time to paint

Neutral Grey for the bottom went down easy. First time using putty mask, with mixed results. It certainly helped with some of the more difficult lines, but it seemed to get a bit goopy after a few hours, and stretched a bit from the original position. Olive Grab on top needed minor touch ups, and may have come out a bit too green, but oh well. I'll need to spray some clear over it before working on the yellow/white stripes.

yjXIuTo.jpg

D3TjxWE.jpg

• Like 5

That paint job does look nice! :thumbsup:

I've used that masking putty before with mixed results, it does go goopy and sags even on flat surfaces!  Best stick to old faithful, BluTack sausages!  :D 

• 1 month later...

With less than a week to go, time for a quick update of things since October.

- painted the tail (insignia yellow and white)

- painted landing gear and gear bays

- landing gear assembly

Now with the gear installed, we can confirmed enough nose weight keeps this bird from being a tail dragger. Over the next few days, I'll do some paint touch ups, clear coat the tail, assemble the props, attach the wheels, and lay down the decals. In theory, it should be finished by the deadline.

djzSnH0.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JTninja said:

With less than a week to go

you can do it! Looking great so far

10 hours ago, JTninja said:

we can confirmed enough nose weight keeps this bird from being a tail dragger

a relief to know for sure, isn't it!?

• Like 1