'Dogfight Double': 1/72 Revell Wildcat and Hawk 75

By the kind indulgence of our hosts here, I am posting both these builds up in a single thread.

spacer.png

The Wildcat will be finished as a machine of VF-41 off USS Ranger, The Hawk 75 will be finished as a machine of GCII/5 based at Casablanca. It is an odd little passage of arms. US Army and US Navy fighters of the same vintage faced off during 'Operation Torch', and for an extra twist, GCII/5 bore the emblem of the Lafayette Escadrille, a unit manned by American volunteers in the Great War.

spacer.png

My intent is to keep both these at about the same stage, and make use of the raised surface detail. I have some of the decals I'll need for the Vichy, and expect I can improvise the Torch ring.

• Like 8

Ok I found these … T0yDc5g.jpg

Both VF-9 and VF-41 were on USS Ranger during Torch. You could use the decals as is or replace the 9’s with 41’s if you can find some ? VF-6 was @ Midway so no help to you there. Let me know via D/M and if interested give me an address. I can drop them in the mail between Friday and Monday. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ray_Wagner_Collection_Photo_(16062615836).jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Old Man.

It's not really a coincidence, as this group build gathers the Revell-Monogram builds, but I just finished the 1/72 F4F Wildcat Revell a short time ago!

I decided to finish a model that I started forty years ago  :clif: :

dio_mi28.jpg

I wanted to keep the spirit of the model, so I kept the reliefs, like the rivets.

dio_mi27.jpg

I made stencils to avoid using decals.
The engine cover is not glued and can be removed, as it was in 1976, when this diorama box was designed.  

This model is a joy to build, as there are few parts, too. And it looks exactly like a Wildcat!

I simply replaced the pilot with an Airfix figure. It's an English-style clothed figure, but a good paint job makes it possible to make a US Navy pilot with a jacket, doesn't it?
I wish you as much fun as I had building this Revell model.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Things are getting underway here.

First, the Grumman.

This needed some preparation before the fuselage could be closed. Clear panels were opened and put in (Revell indicates these with a depressed area), and the rear of the undercarriage bay needs to be closed off.

spacer.png

The gap between the cylinder rows catches the eye fine from straight ahead but not otherwise. I put false front 'cylinders'  behind those of the kit's motor piece.

spacer.png

Fuselage closed and landing gear added.

spacer.png

Revell made a decent stab at the undercarriage. It wasn't easy to attach, though. I left the open nose unglued, so I could manipulate it more readily and then once it was in place slide the firewall/motor assembly in. Instructions would have you poke the undercarriage through with the firewall plate in, and I expect that defeated many a novice modeler....

Here is how it stands now.

spacer.png

The cowling is fixed in place. I did not have our Eric's happy experience of the feature in his excellent Midway build above, fit was pretty poor, shelving out on the starboard side.

Wing fit is loose, and getting dihedral set right looks like rum fun.

Now for the Curtiss.

This needed no particular preparation.

spacer.png

Revell does a much better job than Monogram on the undercarriage arrangements.

I do a sort of pre-shading for brush painting with a pencil. I gave the raised detail a little knocking down, and use it for a guide. I use thin coats the pencil shows through, and renew the marks after each coat. Each coat is polished down with a 5000 grit pad, and there won't be much left proud of the surface once the matte goes on.

spacer.png

Fuselage is closed, wing is just snap-fit on for illustration. Fit is a wonder.

Now for the tricky bit:

spacer.png

I'm satisfied with the yellow coverage (over sprayed silver). The horizontal stabilizers and cowling are just press fit, and will be handled separately when the red stripes go on. But that is the next bit here, and it will take some doing.

• Like 6

Hi,

this looks great!

As much as they are spectacular on a model, the Vichy stripes are a real pain in the proverbial to paint, especially when there are bumps in the way.

I am sure it will be a walk in the park for you!

JR

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:23 PM, jean said:

Hi,

this looks great!

As much as they are spectacular on a model, the Vichy stripes are a real pain in the proverbial to paint, especially when there are bumps in the way.

I am sure it will be a walk in the park for you!

JR

If by 'park', Jean, you mean 'the jungles of upland Borneo in rainy season' then yes, it was a walk in the park getting stripes on, and a brisk one, too....

My attempt to mask and paint red stripes on the tail failed utterly. I stripped the yellow paint (Windex, time, and a toothbrush). Wife employed her witchery at Photoshop to provide a three inch square of red and yellow stripes (3.5mm wide) printed on transparent film. I sprayed white primer over the silver had backed the original yellow. I botched I botched appying these, too: poor alignment on a couple of surfaces. Decals came off in fragments. The surface got spotty, so transparent just looked bad. Printed out on white for a 'third time lucky' shot....

878klE5.jpeg

There's some touching up to do, but it's all right to be going on. The practice with the earlier run helped. Horizontals just dry-fit for show. Cowling remains yellow, and I intend to cut thin red strips of decal, and paint between between them. I will be painting the thing first, though.

Here is the Grumman, with some color on:

nNirIVl.jpeg

There will still be a couple more thin coats before I do decals. Dennis has kindly provided me the proper markings for a 'Torch' Wildcat.

I like out of the way subjects, and often these prove to have no end of oddities about them. The finish of the Hawk 75 will be nothing like the header picture in the OP.

This is the subject:

8qTjHC7.png

It was flown by Lt. Yves Fabre-Garrus, who was wounded in the big fight between GCII/5 and VF-41, and bellied in. His tactical number was '5', and the serial '263'.

I looked him up (name and unit) and found a rabbit-hole regarding overall finish of the Hawks in Morocco, starting with a thread here:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51266&page=2

In the linked thread, overall finish is described as '...brown and green in large strips (without grey)...' There was no fuselage roundel or white stripe, and there were tricolor bands on the wings.

In Osprey's  'French Aces of WWII', says Hawk 75s at Dakaar had the grey portion of their camouflage painted over in a sand color, and says those in Morocco were mostly painted, by 'Torch', in brown and grey. In an old Britmodeller discussion, I learned there was a French color called 'Sahara Yellow', which seems to have been a dull ocher, something like the 'beige' on a Dutch Fokker D.XXI. I can easily see it being taken for grey,

Here are typical patterns for Hawk 75s:

qx3IJSh.png

yxQgJpn.png

Pretty broad 'strips', and if a sandy ocher replaces the grey, I can see the result being taken for brown and green, or even for brown and grey by a casual observer. So that's what I will do for the overall finish.

VF-41 on USS Ranger does not seem to have employed standard unit identifiers, though VF-9 did:

iFtrZ0u.jpeg

YzeLYRa.jpeg

These are from a site called 'Mike's Research":

https://mikesresearch.com/2022/03/27/air-battle-over-morocco-1942/

I haven't poked around there much, but the man is clearly serious.

'22' of VF-41 was flown by Lt(jg) 'Windy' Shields, He was credited with two French machines downed, then had to bail out himself when, while returning to USS Ranger, he was bounced by a Hawk 75.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

If by 'park', Jean, you mean 'the jungles of upland Borneo in rainy season' then yes, it was a walk in the park getting stripes on, and a brisk one, too....

My attempt to mask and paint red stripes on the tail failed utterly. I stripped the yellow paint (Windex, time, and a toothbrush). Wife employed her witchery at Photoshop to provide a three inch square of red and yellow stripes (3.5mm wide) printed on transparent film. I sprayed white primer over the silver had backed the original yellow. I botched I botched appying these, too: poor alignment on a couple of surfaces. Decals came off in fragments. The surface got spotty, so transparent just looked bad. Printed out on white for a 'third time lucky' shot....

878klE5.jpeg

There's some touching up to do, but it's all right to be going on. The practice with the earlier run helped. Horizontals just dry-fit for show. Cowling remains yellow, and I intend to cut thin red strips of decal, and paint between between them. I will be painting the thing first, though.

Here is the Grumman, with some color on:

nNirIVl.jpeg

There will still be a couple more thin coats before I do decals. Dennis has kindly provided me the proper markings for a 'Torch' Wildcat.

I like out of the way subjects, and often these prove to have no end of oddities about them. The finish of the Hawk 75 will be nothing like the header picture in the OP.

This is the subject:

8qTjHC7.png

It was flown by Lt. Yves Fabre-Garrus, who was wounded in the big fight between GCII/5 and VF-41, and bellied in. His tactical number was '5', and the serial '263'.

I looked him up (name and unit) and found a rabbit-hole regarding overall finish of the Hawks in Morocco, starting with a thread here:

In the linked thread, overall finish is described as '...brown and green in large strips (without grey)...' There was no fuselage roundel or white stripe, and there were tricolor bands on the wings.

In Osprey's  'French Aces of WWII', says Hawk 75s at Dakaar had the grey portion of their camouflage painted over in a sand color, and says those in Morocco were mostly painted, by 'Torch', in brown and grey. In an old Britmodeller discussion, I learned there was a French color called 'Sahara Yellow', which seems to have been a dull ocher, something like the 'beige' on a Dutch Fokker D.XXI. I can easily see it being taken for grey,

Here are typical patterns for Hawk 75s:

qx3IJSh.png

yxQgJpn.png

Pretty broad 'strips', and if a sandy ocher replaces the grey, I can see the result being taken for brown and green, or even for brown and grey by a casual observer. So that's what I will do for the overall finish.

VF-41 on USS Ranger does not seem to have employed standard unit identifiers, though VF-9 did:

iFtrZ0u.jpeg

YzeLYRa.jpeg

These are from a site called 'Mike's Research":

https://mikesresearch.com/2022/03/27/air-battle-over-morocco-1942/

I haven't poked around there much, but the man is clearly serious.

'22' of VF-41 was flown by Lt(jg) 'Windy' Shields, He was credited with two French machines downed, then had to bail out himself when, while returning to USS Ranger, he was bounced by a Hawk 75.

I think I have Shields Hellcat markings from late war Pacific. The kill tally have two French and several Japanese markings and I figured they had to be from torch. 

• Like 1

Hi Old Man,

OOOOPS! I had no idea that you went through so much heart ache to paint a red and yellow pyjama on a plane's tail!

Even the Borneo jungle in a monsoon is not that bad...

Red decals strips applied on the yellow do normally work best. But exceptions do exist! I have two D520 coming with the same stripes, and maybe it is not a good idea.

But both your models will turn out great! Congratulations for the seriousness of your research: That is the only way to proceed.

Great show

JR

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 5:17 AM, jean said:

Hi Old Man,

OOOOPS! I had no idea that you went through so much heart ache to paint a red and yellow pyjama on a plane's tail!

Even the Borneo jungle in a monsoon is not that bad...

Red decals strips applied on the yellow do normally work best. But exceptions do exist! I have two D520 coming with the same stripes, and maybe it is not a good idea.

But both your models will turn out great! Congratulations for the seriousness of your research: That is the only way to proceed.

Great show

JR

It came out all right. I don't mask much. The home-brew acrylics don't grip well, and some lifted when I took off the tape. I've found the kicker for CA gel dissolves all tape-tack, but I didn't wait long enough, I guess. This is better though. For the cowl, I intend to lay down thin stripes as outline, and paint between them. Those stripes aren't straight and parallel all the way.

I've got some paint on the Hawk, and will have pictures up later.

James

• Like 2

fnWOcyv.jpeg

iSLAtKO.jpeg

ZgMiNCC.jpeg

Wings and horizontals and cowling just dry-fit for show. The bare patch on the belly is the only part of the wing-to-fuselage will need filler.

The scheme I have chosen is keyed off the Dakaar scheme, with a 'sand color' replacing the dark grey. This is a scanned chip of 'Sahara Yellow':

LfQKZpZ.png

I can certainly see this taken for a grey, or even a green. The standard chestnut brown and dark olive green are quite similar in shade, and don't stand out one from the other. The high demarcation is clear in photographs. Mr. Baudru on 12 O'Clock High

claims the standard under-surface blue grey was replaced by a pale blue. Certainly the English found something bluer than European skies needed was better in the Near East, it seems reasonable French airmen might reach the same conclusion. I made the usual blue-grey a little bluer and lighter.

I will do blending on the demarcations, and some weathering washes to get the final finish.

Here is a link to the chart from which the 'sahara yellow' chip comes: it's third rank, second file:

Gla5g4q.jpeg

The Navy Wildcat has its wings and landing gear....

WoiHwuw.jpeg

d1ASOZt.jpeg

4DnjYXD.jpeg

This will get some touching up and weathering. Port wing fit better than the starboard, but even that wasn't too tricky. Undercarriage resisted to the end, I had to bend things a little. The gear doors look clunky, but seem more or less correct, edges were crimped.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Closing in on these two, guys. Put them aside for a bit, got sick and got enthusiastic for another project, my P-6D.

Here's the Vichy Hawk:

t3xcAJ8.jpg

ozkDzlI.jpg

rTlLOkt.jpg

Insignia is from a Monogram P-36 boxing, the 94th Pursuit adopted the Lafayette emblem. Stripes are a 3mm strip of white film with 1mm stripes in red and blue. Rudder markings homemade alteration of an Azur Cyclone Hawk's decals, which furnished the roundels. I had more red decal film than I thought, and did 4mm strips for the cowling, with some brushing up here and there for contour. Still haven't got the spindly white '5' sorted out, but will figure something. All that's left is undercarriage and clear bits.

Here is the Wildcat, as of last night:

MrGQjqB.jpg

P2lUwyB.jpg

Yo1V8Qk.jpg

I say as of last night because then I finally noticed I had put the stars far too near the wingtips.

iFtrZ0u.jpeg

Photographs are funny things. I looked at this a lot, for placing the yellow ring star on the fuselage, and the ID number, and never noticed the stars on the wings....

I've removed these (with apologies to our Dennis) and repaired the finish, which got a bit scraped here and there. I have some of the proper size for replacements, but will have to cover their red centers (my US builds are mostly pre-war). The '22' was fortuitously supplied by the first numerals of the underwing serials for an Airfix Bulldog.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Closing in on these two, guys. Put them aside for a bit, got sick and got enthusiastic for another project, my P-6D.

Here's the Vichy Hawk:

t3xcAJ8.jpg

ozkDzlI.jpg

rTlLOkt.jpg

Insignia is from a Monogram P-36 boxing, the 94th Pursuit adopted the Lafayette emblem. Stripes are a 3mm strip of white film with 1mm stripes in red and blue. Rudder markings homemade alteration of an Azur Cyclone Hawk's decals, which furnished the roundels. I had more red decal film than I thought, and did 4mm strips for the cowling, with some brushing up here and there for contour. Still haven't got the spindly white '5' sorted out, but will figure something. All that's left is undercarriage and clear bits.

Here is the Wildcat, as of last night:

MrGQjqB.jpg

P2lUwyB.jpg

Yo1V8Qk.jpg

I say as of last night because then I finally noticed I had put the stars far too near the wingtips.

iFtrZ0u.jpeg

Photographs are funny things. I looked at this a lot, for placing the yellow ring star on the fuselage, and the ID number, and never noticed the stars on the wings....

I've removed these (with apologies to our Dennis) and repaired the finish, which got a bit scraped here and there. I have some of the proper size for replacements, but will have to cover their red centers (my US builds are mostly pre-war). The '22' was fortuitously supplied by the first numerals of the underwing serials for an Airfix Bulldog.

It happens, sone of us can live with it some of cant. In the end you need to be happy with the build. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It happens, sone of us can live with it some of cant. In the end you need to be happy with the build. 

I'll let a lot of things slide, Dennis, but it's an annoying error to get something so basic off, especially when I had the info staring me in the face. I've done stuff like that before. Made a Roden Camel into a USN example from the early twenties with a hydrovane and flotation bags. Pored over pictures to get these right, never noticed  the center-section cut-out on the Navy machine was not standard....

Heck, I could be completely off on the Vichy Hawk scheme, and the kit itself has some serious errors, but I like how it's turning out. I like the finish on the Wildcat, too. Pencil under paint does pretty good line-work, I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about done....

Cipu3wL.jpeg

This is the wildcat with repositioned stars, and canopy with interior color on frame.

D2FoSrk.jpeg

M5RyTe8.jpeg

The Vichy Hawk is up on its hind legs. I found some larger cocardes and placed these over the Azur ones: photos of these in '42 show the larger size, lapping onto the ailerons.

The Revell undercarriage arrangements continue superior to the Monogram, though I suspect the legs ought to be a bit more to the front.

(note after looking at pictures: unhappy with frames, will redo)

Y85gA2Z.jpeg

Ht8fHfO.jpeg

Glasswork and tactical number on. Fit of the clear bits was excellent for the 'rear-view' scallops, and not mutch fettling was needed on the hood and windscreen.

To get the tactical number, wife printed out several fives in outline on clear, with I then painted over. One coat brushed in the lines while still on the backing, then painted over the lines after application.

fGwaTq9.jpeg

XbiRQZ0.jpeg

This is the Wildcat with clear parts on. Fit was nice.

Here are both in the same shot, just because....

QsPBa9h.jpeg

I feel confident I can get these finished up before the gallery closes....

• Like 4

Got these done just in time....

Here's some pictures, but more are in the Gallery.

5PI022f.jpeg

ChMVcdT.jpeg

Not much besides touchings up was needed for this. Replaced the antenna mast.

QcH7Dw2.jpeg

O3i8RO6.jpeg

There was a lot of touching up needed. Some needed extra bits were added to the landing gear, pitot tube replaced, and antenna mast added.

I probably should have made the fuselage demarcation a bit irregular, but doing a straight line free-hand was just too much fun.

It is unlikely these particular planes encountered one another, but both were involved in the big air fight over Casablanca. The Navy fighters had the best of it, but much of that .owes to a favorable tactical position. VF41 arrived as one batch of Vichy fighters were returning to their field, and another group was taking off. It was not a one-sided fight, even so. A pilot in a Hawk could readily out-maneuver a pilot in a Wildcat, but the Wildcat was much better armed, and more strongly built.

Here's a couple of picture of the air together....

cwenocd.jpeg

4prLUOU.jpeg

Great fun, and I'm glad I got both done.

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 4