Done -- 1/72 Lockheed Lightning XP-38 Prototype Kitbash

Well, after much chopping, filling sanding and other general mayhem, this combination of the RS Models P-322 1 and the MPC P-38F models have been beaten into a semblance of the very first Lightning, the XP-38.  For those who might be interested in the hows and whys, the build thread is HERE.

The pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in.

Ed

• Like 35

17 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Very nice.  One of my many plans is to do this in 1/48.  Congrats on having the propellers turning the correct way for the prototype!

Thanks Jeaton!

I would love to see a build of this in 48th.  The biggest problem for you would seem to be finding the earliest version in 1/48 scale that you can scrape up.  Of course, there may be one, I just don't follow in that scale.  In addition to the massive chop and fill on the intake area of the later marks, it's quite another thing to reverse the turbos on a later mark, as there are usually other fences, intakes, etc around the turbo, so that you would have to pretty much destroy the upper booms in that area. leaving you with basically a pair of empty landing gear wells to hold everything together on the booms.  Not a task I would care to tackle.  Hope you figure it out!

Of course, I had to wait years for RS Models to give me an earlier mark before I dared try this one in this scale...

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, SAT69 said:

Wonderful! I presume the propellers turn the opposite direction on production examples?

Yup, all later models, including the YP-38's turned outward from the top.

Ed