Mini Metro malarkey.

seanrx

A paint colour question that is specific to Nascars.

And has been answered by myself.

Is it an online colour palette or the name of an actual paint manufacturer?

Their colour numbers are listed on Slixx decal sheets.

Update. Have been told that Metro Paints in the US stopped trading years ago and were part of Wetworks Decals. 

Edited by seanrx
This post is over!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I learned to drive with BSM when the Metro had just come out.  I had the choice of Mini, Triumph Toledo or Metro.  I chose the Metro as it had literally just been launched and it seemed so modern compared to other cars on the road.

Every lesson was in a different Metro as they kept having faults and every Metro felt different to drive (clutch, brakes, steering)

Couldn't have been all bad as I passed first time (thank you to BSM in Plymouth) and I swore never ever to drive another Metro after that.

• Like 2

Every Metro I had the misfortune to travel in seemed to be shades of baby poo, with varying degrees of rust, even though new.

In a somewhat ironic mirror of @Jeepboy’s comment I had lessons in a fiesta and practiced in a Mini.  Whereas both daughters were taught (and passed first time) in Binis, but practiced in a Fiesta.  Neither girl would willingly ever drive a Bini for the rest of their life!

• Haha 1

I had a Metallic green MG with red seat belts, it was an X reg car and I loved it. 80 would seem like 180 and just added to the experience. Later on We bought a grey GTA (old shape) with black wheel arch extensions (shoulder pads). Great little car.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Seanrx.  This thread has drifted well away from your original question.

Go onto the Model Care Magazine Forum.

Plenty of NASCAR enthusiasts on there who might help as this looks like stateside you might get your answer.

Sean updated his O.P. with the answer... :)

Keith

Thanks Keith.

My thinking was that maybe some other US based company now does equivalents, so didn't explain myself very well.

Hence my reference to Nascar enthusiasts (and there are lots of them) on the Model Cars Magazine Forum.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

MCW paints seem to get a lot of positive discussion on US car model you-tubers.  I'm sure they are likely to cover many NASCAR specific colors, they have color packs for some of those done by Salvinos.  Whether you could get them in the UK is yet another matter.  Link to MCW website

They have a downloadable list of their paints arranged by sponsors, many of which are NASCAR.  However without swatches, I'm not sure it would be much more use than a photo of the real car to try to match with other paint makes.

Hiroboy have Petty Blue listed in Zero Paint's range.  

Hope this is of some help / interest.

• Like 1

Scale Finishes (LINK) also has a lot of NASCAR colors. He has a special section devoted to Salvino's kits. The web site is a little hard to navigate. He ships internationally, but read the FAQ about how he does it. I haven't used his paints, yet, but he gets good reviews on the car forums I frequent.

Ben

• Like 1

Gravity paints in Spain (& make sure it's the Spanish site you go to, NOT Gravity USA given their reputation) has 12 Nascar colours listed, but they're mainly generic neon colours though they do have Petty Blue, Pennzoil Yellow, Quaker State green and UPS brown. I've bought off them before the dreaded B word happened and they were great. I have emailed them since to ask if they still ship to the UK and at that time they said they did.

https://gravity-colors.com/model-car-paints/#/dfclassic/query=nascar&query_name=match_and&session_id=883bf76cae4cb82d1e6001694ef0606e

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, malpaso said:

MCW paints seem to get a lot of positive discussion on US car model you-tubers.  I'm sure they are likely to cover many NASCAR specific colors, they have color packs for some of those done by Salvinos.  Whether you could get them in the UK is yet another matter.  Link to MCW website

They have a downloadable list of their paints arranged by sponsors, many of which are NASCAR.  However without swatches, I'm not sure it would be much more use than a photo of the real car to try to match with other paint makes.

Hiroboy have Petty Blue listed in Zero Paint's range.  

Hope this is of some help / interest.

I do now have the MCW pdf.

Some colours do have generic names which makes it easy choosing spray cans. (dont own airbrush)

Rover Pageant Blue is exactly like MCW Pageant Blue, used on the #88 Quality Care.

And their chrome yellow is a common colour too.

I did buy a Vauxhall Mustard Yellow, for a Kodak car. Its actually a sickly pale brown. Terrible!

• Like 2

On 03/10/2022 at 08:44, Noel Smith said:

Princess Diana's little red Metro is in the motor museum at Gaydon

That one is in the Coventry Transport Museum

along with a Clubman 6R4 in Computervision Livery.

That one they do have, along with a red prototype 6R4 powered by a cut-down Rover V8.  The museum also has a Metro saloon prototpe, a six-cylinder MG Metro and an aluminium Metro.  There is even a standard Metro 1.3 HLS.

I'm biased as a volunteer at the museum, but here's a link to the online view of the collection, if you're interested.

• Like 1

• seanrx changed the title to This subject has officially jumped the shark.

Absolutely right John.    Seen each car in their respective museums.    So, thanks for correcting my error.

The information you posted about the other Metros at Gaydon is interesting and for posting the museum link.

Near to where I live in Mid Bedfordshire there was a small motor museum at Lower Stondon between Hitchin and Bedford.

Shortly before Covid hit the collection was disbanded and auctioned off.

I can remember seeing a prototype Rover Metro there that slightly resembled the body style of an original Land Rover Discovery with the stepped roofline.

Nearest transport museum to me now is the Shuttleworth Collection.

• Like 1

The best thing to come out of the MG Metro was the engine.  Many Classic Mini owners (including me) have replaced the 998cc engine with an MG unit.  Great engine, with the "hottest" production camshaft ever fitted to an A Series engine.

Trevor 

• Like 2

I replaced my 1275 Midget with an MG Metro in 1983. What a difference! it was faster, handled better, used less fuel and carried four people. However we also had an Austin Metro - first year of production (well actually the second, W reg cars were freshly made and the early cars were introduced into the X reg year) and the handling difference was noticeable. 20mph faster on a given roundabout in the MG on Uniroyals over the Austin on Michelins,,,,

• Like 1

Trevor, I can imagine the extra oomph that the MG Metro engine gives to a Mini.

Were there two versions of the MG Metro? A turbo and non turbo, or just a turbo?

An MG Metro turbo engine in a Mini would probably put it into either Cooper or 1275 S Cooper territory.

Joe in NZ.  The MG Metro would have out performed the old Midget by a margin. I had an original bog standard Metro new. It wasn't a bad little car in its day. It got replaced with a Rover Metro with the K series engine and the difference in performance was really notable.

I don't know if a K series engine could be fitted to a Mini like the updated A series engine out of an MG Metro like Trevor did though.

Edited by Noel Smith

10 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Trevor, I can imagine the extra oomph that the MG Metro engine gives to a Mini.

Were there two versions of the MG Metro? A turbo and non turbo, or just a turbo?

An MG Metro turbo engine in a Mini would probably put it into either Cooper or 1275 S Cooper territory.

Joe in NZ.  The MG Metro would have out performed the old Midget by a margin. I had an original bog standard Metro new. It wasn't a bad little car in its day. It got replaced with a Roger Metro with the K series engine and the difference in performance was really notable.

I don't know if a K series engine could be fitted to a Mini like the updated A series engine out of an MG Metro like Trevor did though.

MG Metros came in both normally aspirated and turbocharged versions.  Both can be fitted into classic mini but it's a right old palaver to fit the turbo engine 'cos there's not much room under the bonnet.  I fitted a non turbo in mine.  Healthy 76 horsepower and shed loads of torque.  A vast improvement over the original 998 unit.

Trevor